ColtFreaks.com - Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum   ColtFreaks.com Home Page

Go Back   ColtFreaks.com - Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum > Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum > Indianapolis Colts Discussion

Old 04-14-2021, 12:22 PM
Post whore

Thanked 3,608 Times in 2,020 Posts
Thumbs up

I still think LT is a position you don’t want to get cute with. Draft the best you can in round one. Worry about other positions later, even edge. I also wouldn’t take any of the DE’s in this class over any of the LT’s. Lots of athletiscm, but too many projects.

We may have some competition for Jenkins, Titans may try to move above is. I think the titans took the DT we liked in 2019. I can also see the Raiders taking Jenkins. Darrisaw has the highest ceiling besides Sewell. It’s nice to have options. I can actually see them taking a CB before a DE, if the LT they want isn’t there.

I’ve been trying to get a feel for the order of LTs, but lots of different opinions after Sewell and Slater at 1 and 2. No distinct order that I can tell.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Chromeburn For This Useful Post:
apballin (04-17-2021), Butter (04-16-2021), Oldcolt (04-14-2021), Spike (04-17-2021)
Old 04-14-2021, 12:38 PM
Post whore

Thanked 1,608 Times in 934 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chromeburn View Post
I still think LT is a position you don’t want to get cute with. Draft the best you can in round one. Worry about other positions later, even edge. I also wouldn’t take any of the DE’s in this class over any of the LT’s. Lots of athletiscm, but too many projects.

We may have some competition for Jenkins, Titans may try to move above is. I think the titans took the DT we liked in 2019. I can also see the Raiders taking Jenkins. Darrisaw has the highest ceiling besides Sewell. It’s nice to have options. I can actually see them taking a CB before a DE, if the LT they want isn’t there.

I’ve been trying to get a feel for the order of LTs, but lots of different opinions after Sewell and Slater at 1 and 2. No distinct order that I can tell.
After Jenkins's pro day, I have Slater 1 Jenkins 2
Old 04-17-2021, 06:32 PM
Post whore

Thanked 4,793 Times in 2,672 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dam8610 View Post
After Jenkins's pro day, I have Slater 1 Jenkins 2
Just my rat's ass of an opinion, but I am not that high on pro days.

It is beneficial for lower-profile prospects, guys who weren't invited to the NFL Scouting Combine, who get their shot to stick out and send teams back to the tape to take a second look.

Game tape will always be the number 1 criteria for me.

Slater and Jenkins are damn good, and I would be happy with either one of them, but so is Sewell. I know that you are not that high on him, but all of the NFL scouts and experts are. They actually get paid and or fired for this shit.
Old 04-17-2021, 06:59 PM
Post whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spike View Post
Just my rat's ass of an opinion, but I am not that high on pro days.

It is beneficial for lower-profile prospects, guys who weren't invited to the NFL Scouting Combine, who get their shot to stick out and send teams back to the tape to take a second look.

Game tape will always be the number 1 criteria for me.

Slater and Jenkins are damn good, and I would be happy with either one of them, but so is Sewell. I know that you are not that high on him, but all of the NFL scouts and experts are. They actually get paid and or fired for this shit.
The reason his pro day changed my opinion on Jenkins is because he tested so much better than expected athletically. In my film study of him, I thought based on the film that he might be able to handle LT, but him being at RT concerned me on that, as did the prevailing "RT only" narrative on him. The "RT only" thing was why I had him ranked 3rd. When the testing numbers matched my film analysis, I decided that that narrative was just a narrative and that Jenkins based on his measurables and game film could handle LT, which moved him ahead of Darrisaw for me. It's not just the testing numbers, it's how the testing numbers affect the whole evaluation.

Edit to add: I would've used Jenkins's combine numbers in the evaluation, but they cancelled the combine this year. Pro days are the only way to get measurables in the 2021 draft season.

2nd edit: Just saw the part about Sewell. Here's the thing about Sewell. He's the Tremaine Edmunds of LTs. What I mean by that is if you watch Edmunds's college film, he looks like a David Harris or Bart Scott. That's because he was 19 years old. Sewell is the same in that regard. He's probably too young to be coming into the league, but his athletic gifts give him a pretty good chance at success. Unfortunately for us, the Colts don't have the 2 years it's going to take him to grow into a great LT. They need a plug and play guy. You can plug and play Sewell, but you might get your QB killed. IMO Sewell would be best served going the Ogden path. Start at OG his rookie year, then kick out to LT. He has the potential to be great, but right now his technique is bad and needs lots of work.

Last edited by Dam8610; 04-17-2021 at 07:11 PM.
Old 04-17-2021, 07:50 PM
Post whore

Thanked 4,793 Times in 2,672 Posts

Quote:
The reason his pro day changed my opinion on Jenkins is because he tested so much better than expected athletically. In my film study of him, I thought based on the film that he might be able to handle LT, but him being at RT concerned me on that, as did the prevailing "RT only" narrative on him. The "RT only" thing was why I had him ranked 3rd. When the testing numbers matched my film analysis, I decided that that narrative was just a narrative and that Jenkins based on his measurables and game film could handle LT, which moved him ahead of Darrisaw for me. It's not just the testing numbers, it's how the testing numbers affect the whole evaluation.

Edit to add: I would've used Jenkins's combine numbers in the evaluation, but they cancelled the combine this year. Pro days are the only way to get measurables in the 2021 draft season.

2nd edit: Just saw the part about Sewell. Here's the thing about Sewell. He's the Tremaine Edmunds of LTs. What I mean by that is if you watch Edmunds's college film, he looks like a David Harris or Bart Scott. That's because he was 19 years old. Sewell is the same in that regard. He's probably too young to be coming into the league, but his athletic gifts give him a pretty good chance at success. Unfortunately for us, the Colts don't have the 2 years it's going to take him to grow into a great LT. They need a plug and play guy. You can plug and play Sewell, but you might get your QB killed. IMO Sewell would be best served going the Ogden path. Start at OG his rookie year, then kick out to LT. He has the potential to be great, but right now his technique is bad and needs lots of work.
Well, I guess this is a moot point. We aren't getting him anyway. He will be gone by the time we draft. He is a stud, and at 21, I would take him in a heartbeat. All of these NFL scouts can't be wrong, can they? Well, maybe they can, I just don't think so. Slater is the only one I have ranked ahead of him.
Old 04-17-2021, 08:46 PM
Post whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spike View Post
Well, I guess this is a moot point. We aren't getting him anyway. He will be gone by the time we draft. He is a stud, and at 21, I would take him in a heartbeat. All of these NFL scouts can't be wrong, can they? Well, maybe they can, I just don't think so. Slater is the only one I have ranked ahead of him.
Remember that all the scouts said Ryan Leaf would have a similar career to Peyton Manning, and that RGIII would have a similar career to Andrew Luck. The possibility exists that Sewell will never improve his technique and remain the fringe average, Nate Solder type player he is now. To me, if Teven Jenkins doesn't improve one bit from where he is right now, he's an average-good starting LT in the NFL. Same goes for Slater. Both also possess growth potential that they could be among the best in the league.
Old 04-17-2021, 09:20 PM
Doom -N- Gloom

Thanked 1,134 Times in 642 Posts

Quote:
Remember that all the scouts said Ryan Leaf would have a similar career to Peyton Manning, and that RGIII would have a similar career to Andrew Luck. The possibility exists that Sewell will never improve his technique and remain the fringe average, Nate Solder type player he is now. To me, if Teven Jenkins doesn't improve one bit from where he is right now, he's an average-good starting LT in the NFL. Same goes for Slater. Both also possess growth potential that they could be among the best in the league.
What about Cosmi?
Old 04-17-2021, 09:44 PM
Post whore

Thanked 2,514 Times in 1,415 Posts

Quote:
The Leaf/Manning argument doesnt work here. Leaf had a better arm, probably a better athlete. Ryan Leaf had a five and dime head. No one could coach him.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JAFF For This Useful Post:
Racehorse (04-18-2021), Spike (04-17-2021)
Old 04-17-2021, 09:46 PM
Post whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by apballin View Post
What about Cosmi?
He's in the tier with Eichenberg and Radunz, definitely below Darrisaw, definitely above Vera-Tucker (for LT at least). So probably somewhere between 4 and 6.
Old 04-17-2021, 09:50 PM
Post whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAFF View Post
The Leaf/Manning argument doesnt work here. Leaf had a better arm, probably a better athlete. Ryan Leaf had a five and dime head. No one could coach him.
So if Sewell had a "five and dime head", he wouldn't be able to learn technique, right? Which would lead to the problem I stated.