ColtFreaks.com - Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum   ColtFreaks.com Home Page

Go Back   ColtFreaks.com - Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum > Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum > Indianapolis Colts Discussion

Old 08-17-2019, 08:47 PM

Thanked 1,180 Times in 356 Posts
Default Preseason Week Two quick thoughts

I know my weekend sucks (dental surgery + dogsitting for parents) if I'm writing this on a Saturday night...

1. Good for Jacoby Brissett. I didn't learn anything new about him, but just good to see the confidence, zip on ball and composure under pressure. It's gonna be an uphill battle if anyone other than Andrew Luck starts at QB, but good to know Brissett still gives you a fighting chance.

2. I still have no real time/interest in Walker (must be a great Watson/Mariota impersonator in practices), but it's gonna be hard to keep Chad Kelly on the 53-man with that suspension. So I'm perplexed as to how Colts approach QBs in final 53.

3. The run game in preseason is U-G-L-Y. I see it as mostly a function as not having the starting 5 together yet. Still, even starters have struggled, and I generally think OL is the one area on this team that has concerning depth. Every other position: good depth. OL: if Castonzo, Kelly or Nelson get hurt, they're screwed. I honestly just don't think, beyond Haeg, anyone other reserve can really play more than spot duty. Seems like Boehm has lost a lot of ground (fine with me; I don't think he's good) and seems like the team has a high opinion of Josh Andrews but I don't see it with him at all.

4. Tight end is quickly rivaling WR and DB for fascinating roster decisions. This team is just so ridiculously deep at that position. We know Ebron, Doyle and Alie-Cox are locks. I think they keep 4, and you could sell me on either of Hentges or Ross getting that spot. Gun to head, I'm going: Ebron, Doyle, Alie-Cox and Hentges.

5. Wide receiver is, of course, still interesting. Hilton and Funchess are locks, and good to see Funchess being the difficult-to-jam receiver we imagined (still curious to see how he's used in red zone; we haven't really seen that yet.) Campbell ... I kinda wonder if he's a PUP candidate? Just seems like we haven't heard anything there, and he's so far behind that you could get away with a PUP stash because you have so much talent at the position his loss wouldn't be magnified.

Cain seems like a lock after tonight. Almost scared to expose him as much as I think they will week 3. He seems like a vital player now.

So really: it's probably Rogers, Pascal, Hogan and Johnson for 1-2 spots. Rogers played like he thinks his spot is much safer than I do, but keep in mind he'll be evaluated on totality of what he's done and not just a bad PR decision or shoulda-been fumble (still: that was a bad game for a guy fighting for a roster spot.)

Hogan now becomes a real option after Fountain's injury, and with Campbell's future uncertain. I think he and Pascal are actually pretty similar players. I really have no clue who ends up making the 53 though.

6. ...but gun to head: Hilton, Funchess, Campbell (not on PUP), Cain, Pascal, and keep 4 TEs.

7. Defensively, I think it's important to keep in mind they are playing almost totally vanilla Cover-2 shell and rushing 4. That will certainly be foundational for Eberflus' defense, but we know damn well in big or close games, he also likes to get creative with his pressure packages and get guys like Leonard and Moore in the backfield. That's not going to happen in the preseason, so we have to evaluate overall defensive performance accordingly.

8. Starting up front: I'm still not sure I really buy the front four pass rush. For sure, we saw some encouraging stuff from Kemoko Turay. I need to see more, but it's fair to be hopeful. I didn't really see anything from Justin Houston, but not sure if I was really supposed to. I think this is still a team that needs at least 5 to land consistent punches, though.

9. I try to balance preseason context and one-on-one truths. So while I say it's fair to be hopeful about Turay ... I also think it's fair to be skeptical about Tyquan Lewis. He has really struggled, even against 2s and 3s. I would think the Colts would hope for him to be further along than he's showing, especially after Ballard hyped him as having Leonard-like potential.

10. Denico Autry is going to be a terror. That's one impact DL I buy full stock in.

11. Starting linebackers are fine. Rough night for Okereke, who overpursued a number of times. If that Walker/Okereke battle was neck and neck entering tonight, I would think Walker got a slight edge tonight. Speed definitely shows all over the field, but clearly is steps slow in processing, which you'd expect coming from a D-3 school.

I was encouraged by Zaire Franklin's play tonight. This team needs a heavy at SAM for the mouth-punching teams of the league, and I still think he plays that role well.

12. I'm not sweating cornerbacks even if it was a rough night overall. First, Pierre Desir continues to be unspectacularly fantastic. I think you can stick him on most WR1s and be happy with the results. And you know Kenny Moore has the slot locked down.

Opposite them: I think people have REALLY wanted to unseat Quincy Wilson with Rock Ya-Sin ... and I don't think Ya-Sin is there yet. I also think people underestimate Wilson.

I'm really comfortable with Desir/Wilson/Moore/Ya-Sin/Milton as the 5 CBs you gotta keep (Milton just too good of a gunner not to), and developing Tell and Taylor on the practice squad.

13. ...and you can tell they really need to develop Tell. He plays with such little confidence. That's a really tough positional transition to make in a few months. He's easily a height-weight-speed guy you develop with intent of him really getting his chance next summer.

14. Jalen Collins has been one of my big disappointments of the preseason. All the hype about Colts being excited about him, and it seems like both his camp and preseason performances have been really flat. He's just never really in position for a PBU like a Desir, Moore or even a Wilson are.

15. I don't have a ton of notes at safety, other than how good it is to see pre-ACL injury speed for Malik Hooker. The ground he covered on his PBU was insane. I'm still iffy on him as a tackler, and he was responsible for at least one huge cutback run today. But if the defense allows him to simply range, then he is going to be top-5 in the league at that skillset.

16. Some brutal special teams decisions tonight. I had the volume down because I had friends over so I missed the commentary around the Hines obliteration, but I'd imagine Ventrone is furious with his return units tonight. Rogers and Hines both made some horrendous decisions.

17. I do love how Reich approaches 4th downs in the preseason. Don't waste them learning a kicker can convert a 30-yard field goal. Use them to actually learn something about your offense. Too many Colts coaches past would kick useless field goals.

18. You can make of this game what you will, but I saw one team (with flaws, no doubt) in the Colts that was mostly probing itself, and I saw another team in the Browns that played like they had something to prove in the preseason. The tell is in pressure looks and timing, honestly. Neither is right/wrong, but these two teams had totally different mindsets to this game, and I think it's important to note each in evaluating.

19. It's killing me that Penny Hart and Parris Campbell continue to be no-gos. Hart has probably nuked his chance to make this team. Campbell will of course be on the 53 at some point this year. But both feel like they could inject some excitement into these boring-ass exhibition games, especially on special teams.

20. Unsure why D'Onta Foreman can't really get a look. Nyheim Hines shouldn't have been playing as late as he was, and I can only watch so many Aca'Cedric Ware carries that go 5 yards horizontal and result in a (late) cut that just takes him back to the LOS. This is the one area I feel has been mismanaged this preseason.
The Following 15 Users Say Thank You to GoBigBlue88 For This Useful Post:
apballin (08-18-2019), bertjones (08-18-2019), ChoppedWood (08-17-2019), Coltsalr (08-18-2019), Dewey 5 (08-17-2019), DrSpaceman (08-18-2019), Ironshaft (08-18-2019), JAFF (08-18-2019), Johanvil (08-18-2019), Oldcolt (08-18-2019), omahacolt (08-17-2019), Racehorse (08-18-2019), smitty46953 (08-17-2019), Thorgrim (08-17-2019), YDFL Commish (08-17-2019)
Old 08-17-2019, 09:55 PM

Thanked 4,275 Times in 1,745 Posts

I disagree about the oline. Haeg would be fine at lg if Nelson is out. Clark and haeg have both proven to be serviceable tackle back ups.

That Andrews shit has to stop. Dude is terrible
The Following User Says Thank You to omahacolt For This Useful Post:
YDFL Commish (08-18-2019)
Old 08-17-2019, 10:54 PM

Thanked 1,889 Times in 921 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by omahacolt View Post
I disagree about the oline. Haeg would be fine at lg if Nelson is out. Clark and haeg have both proven to be serviceable tackle back ups.

That Andrews shit has to stop. Dude is terrible
I’m giving Andrews a little more time. Remember, at one time we all thought Glowinski sucked. And he turned it around big time.

Good stuff, GBB.

Random question-who will be the bigger dumpster fire this season, the Browns or the Raiders.

I say Raiders.
Old 08-17-2019, 11:17 PM

Thanked 1,993 Times in 1,135 Posts

Was there today.

QB play was very solid including Walker, and Kelly is kind of a problem; a great problem to have but a real roster count problem. He has a command that I don't even see from JB, he directs things, he has a sense of confidence about him that is something you want, he looks people off, he has excellent timing on his drop downs. The pass he threw down the seam that was called back due to the hold was outstanding. He threw a number of passes that hit players exactly where you want the ball to keep them in motion (so did Walker on the whif by Pascal- that was a strike!). This will be an interesting position to see how it shakes out as it sure looks like Luck is going game 1, so can we stash him on PS and it just be Luck, JB, and him on the side to keep an extra DB, WR, TE- hell an extra OL?

This group of WR's, these TE's with Reich now really feeling it, this is going to be filthy. Had a great mid level seat, and unlike years, even a year like last year where it just didn't seem we had separation, we have separation guys extraordinaire now. These drags, rubs, crosses- if the OL gives the QB, especially luck the time to let the plays develop- free runners like mad. Watching these plays, even the ones that didn't go, it looked every bit like the Eagles team that won the SB- the design even in a PS game was nice. You look out and you've got 2 wide Right, a small guy like Hines or Pascal comes in motion sets up off the line outside the OT and a giant guy like Ebron or MAC is suddenly matched up out wide on a 5-9, 185 DB in single coverage, and they can't bring safety help because now you've got someone like Hines coming down the seam at the 2nd level. Sick! To me, if we get the same caliber of play we got last year from the OL, this could very well be the best passing game the league has ever seen and that's not hyperbole.

Of specific note:
Cain- I see why they are so high on him- to me that guy looks like a bigger version of TY. He moves like him, he is what I would describe as SUDDEN. If he can stay healthy and become consistent, he could very easily emerge as Reggie Wayne to TY's Marvin Harrison.

Funchess- could we have a 2nd year in a row Ebron situation? He just bullies DB's off the line and for a guy I never really thought could separate, he was getting away from guys today.

Johnson- he looks big, he just has that look of a big guy that can go get it and that little delayed screen he showed he's got some shake-n-bake for a bigger body. We could do a lot worse than him being 5/6 (Pascal has to be a bit worried after that horrible play late in 2nd Qtr).

TE's- shiiiiit, I watched a lot of fb, I've wasted enormous parts of my life watching this stuff, I've seen some deep TE rosters across the NFL- don't think I've seen anything like this. There are at least 3 guys that could start for probably 20 of the 32 teams and the 4th is probably a high level 2nd stringer for some others. I see why they like Travis so much, he executes routes and that is a strong ass man. Pre-game they had a video of Ken Dilger and he hit the metal thing- Travis reminds me of Dilger, and that's a nice compliment. MAC that is just a gigantic human and he can move.

Mack- I am probably on the high end of the register with Mack compared to many. I like his overall game and feel that healthy he can be a very solid compliment to this explosive offense. I am not sure what we have behind him though and that's a worry given his history. Williams displayed some burst but he doesn't strike me as a RB1.5 in the event Mack gets hurt. Foreman to me just looks like a huge dude who is going to serve in the very limited role of bruiser and nothing else. I like what Hines brings but he is going to be a specialty asset that is not suited to getting 15 carries a game.

Defensively, I think we look pretty solid. I saw a lot of plays where we played to keep the ball in front of us and close hard, and I thought we did it well and forced a few long 3rds as a result.

So many accolades going the Maniac's way but dude, there is literally something freakishly amazing about this guy's recognition of where the ball is going to be- he is insanely intuitive. The mid-1st qtr little bounce where there was the hold as the RB bounced to the right outside the pocket- watch that replay if you can- he reads the RB's hips- BEFORE THEY move- he is literally just standing there waiting for the RB to end up exactly where he knows he is going to end up- insane!

Turay, was a man tonight. There were some plays where he was falling back into the flat and playing sort of "zone" and took the pass away, he looked the part. Shoot me for saying this so early and this is an all-time great, but I see some Terell Suggs in him.

Autry- agree, looks like a serious interior lineman that can cause disruption almost every snap.

Banogu- did not see him getting much done. Seemed easily stopped at the line and was not showing up in other phases from what I saw. Looked like he needs a lot of specialty work.

On the flip side- Obum Gwacham who I had never even heard of, this guy flashed out there to me. Granted it was late and who knows if he was playing against some dude's charity grandson "roster time", but he looked like he could get into the backfield pretty quick. I liked seeing him make a couple plays later in the game.

I am going to mispell it, but Ocreake, and Speed, you can see they have game. They need experience but watching them out there later in the game, they play well off one another and they both appear to be pretty advanced in terms of setting up the D and putting people in position. I will say I was sort of dismayed at how easily the Browns hit us underneath- these guys need to clean that up quick.

I like the DB's, the Yasin interference- he has to get his head around, but he had the coverage. Desir, he is just a baller, he too seems to have a great instinct for where the ball will be and he uses that to break up balls in situations that otherwise don't look like such great coverage.

Agree on Hooker, it was wonderful to see that break and run down. Geathers just looks oppressing- he looks like a smallish linebacker that is going to smack you for getting to his level. Between those two I like it.

Late in the game that challenged PI, I don't know who that guy was either, I think it was # 39- that was tremendous coverage, some of this shit with these calls is just absurd.

Overall, I came away looking at a team that I think is solid from top to bottom that with the right leader under center, has to be considered a very serious contender for the title. I posted a couple weeks ago about how big we looked and how I liked it, seeing it in the flesh, it's very real, this looks like a group of men that can just come out on the field and get physical on you in a hurry. I don't think I ever felt that way through the Manning years, even the years with Bob, Marlin, Haden back there and with guys like Brackett and June in the middle while Freeney and Mathis dominated up front- it still felt like we were so speed oriented then and if we didn't get the lead and allow our speed to shine we had problems. To me this team looks like a team that can go without scoring 5 times in the first half and still be leading 7-0 and the other team feeling like they have an elephant sitting on their chest. Though we lost this did not have the feel of some of those older Colt squads that just went through the motions in PS. This had the feel of some guys that KNOW they SHOULD be on the squad given how good they are but also know they are a part of a group of 3/4 at the position that know the same and one of them is going to get the pink slip. I like it a lot!
The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to ChoppedWood For This Useful Post:
apballin (08-18-2019), bertjones (08-18-2019), Coltsalr (08-18-2019), GoBigBlue88 (08-18-2019), Ironshaft (08-18-2019), Oldcolt (08-18-2019), Racehorse (08-18-2019), smitty46953 (08-18-2019), Thorgrim (08-18-2019), VeveJones007 (08-18-2019), YDFL Commish (08-18-2019)
Old 08-18-2019, 02:55 AM

Pretty much nailed it, GBB88.

Given the endless fucken holding penalties, I don't know how I actually got through that game.

Also, the challenged PI call was rat shit.
ChoppedWood (08-18-2019)
Old 08-18-2019, 09:00 AM
Post whore

Thanked 2,514 Times in 1,415 Posts

1. I’m not sure if any NFL team can say they like their starting offense line and all their back ups. It’s getting really hard to find good offense of Linemen that will not require two years of NFL experience before they really start looking good. I also think, that Nelson is just so good if he’s not playing it really really obvious.

2. No worry about Houston until the season starts. If he doesn’t make some plays in the first two games then it’s a disaster. This is preseason they don’t want him out there getting him hurt and get nothing for the money

3. I’m not a big fan of Moe Ali Cox. The guy can’t block. I would take the kid from Alabama and keep him, simply because he doesn’t mind hitting somebody. Reminds me a little of doyle

4. I’ve got the compliment Ballard with his work on the draft with the young defensive backs. Those guys made some mistakes last night but boy they sure did it going 100 miles an hour. If those guys ever get it figured out they’re gonna be really tough. Those guys who are non-starters are going to make us one fast kick/punt coverage squad.

I know they made some mistakes over running the play but they’ll figure that out if they’ve got any football sense at all. And you can teach Game sense. You sure as heck can’t teach that kind of speed those guys run with.

5. And I don’t understand the pass interference call at all last night, is it me or did the Colts defense of player have inside leverage, was actually in front of the offense of player when the ball got there? I understand why the coach threw the red flag, if the refs can’t figure it out now in preseason there is no sense wasting a challenge later in the season. I don’t understand the logic or reasoning used with replay By the officials in the NFL in general. Why are they down there looking at a tiny TV screen when you got two humongous TV screens built right into the stadium, just run it up there. When everybody in the stadium can see how bad the call is, it’s probably going to be easier to change it.

Last edited by JAFF; 08-18-2019 at 09:03 AM.
Old 08-18-2019, 09:33 AM

Thanked 2,211 Times in 1,191 Posts

• Josh Andrews can be cut right now
  • DO NOT PLAY Darius Leonard in anymore meaningless preseason games! He's ready NOW!
  • Glowinski needs to pick up his game
  • Is it possible that we keep 6 CB's just because of Chris Milton special teams play?
  • Turay has improved and I like it
  • I'm no longer afraid of facing any opponent with Brissett at QB
  • For all of the talk of what a decisive runner Jonathan Williams is...his first 2 runs certainly involved a lot of pitter patter. Give me Wilkins over Williams
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to YDFL Commish For This Useful Post:
Coltsalr (08-18-2019), JAFF (08-18-2019)
Old 08-18-2019, 09:35 AM

Thanked 1,993 Times in 1,135 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAFF View Post

5. And I don’t understand the pass interference call at all last night, is it me or did the Colts defense of player have inside leverage, was actually in front of the offense of player when the ball got there? I understand why the coach threw the red flag, if the refs can’t figure it out now in preseason there is no sense wasting a challenge later in the season. I don’t understand the logic or reasoning used with replay By the officials in the NFL in general. Why are they down there looking at a tiny TV screen when you got two humongous TV screens built right into the stadium, just run it up there. When everybody in the stadium can see how bad the call is, it’s probably going to be easier to change it.
Yeah that call was total ass. That is the definition of what coverage is supposed to be and if there is interference there, it's offensive for the wrap behind the defenders head.

I loathe Roger, think he has adulterated this game to a ridiculous PS4 arcade level that has created stupid stats, and among the terrible things he has done which is a billion miles long, this PI shit is the worst. In trouble, chuck it down the field and know that 75% of the time the chains are going to move 30+ yards because Roger's NFL is predicated on 60+ pts a game being scored and that helps the cause. I fucking hate it. If a play like yesterday, where this new replay system should have set the record straight, doesn't clearly display that the goal is simply more points nothing will.
Old 08-18-2019, 12:12 PM

Thanked 2,568 Times in 1,147 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAFF View Post
I would take the kid from Alabama and keep him, simply because he doesn’t mind hitting somebody. Reminds me a little of doyle

Jack Doyle has made the same comparison as well.

https://twitter.com/zkeefer/status/1162879967098785793

Quote:
Jack Doyle confirmed after the game that Hale Hentges is essentially Jack Doyle 2.0, but better.

Last edited by AlwaysSunnyinIndy; 08-18-2019 at 12:14 PM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to AlwaysSunnyinIndy For This Useful Post:
JAFF (08-18-2019), Racehorse (08-18-2019)
Old 08-18-2019, 02:00 PM

Brissett was sharp last night, made me feel much better about him as the starter if Luck is not ready

On the other hand, just get Walker off the field. Complete waste. Just give Brissett and Kelly the time from here on out in preseason.

Mack, you take the good and the bad. He is a pretty good starter. he has speed. but one play in particular, he followed the play into the hole to the left and where it was supposed to go, but there was a HUGE cutback lane to the right where he jukes or uses his speed to beat one guy and it could have been a huge gain.

Funchess looks solid, which after years of searching for a #2 WR to TY I will be happy with if he does just that.

Cain made some plays that showed his potential when healthy

The red zone D was awful, but I am going to be an optimist and say it was due to vanilla zone D that they would not normally run in that situation.