ColtFreaks.com - Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum   ColtFreaks.com Home Page

Go Back   ColtFreaks.com - Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum > Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum > Indianapolis Colts Discussion

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 12-06-2022, 09:40 PM
Kray007 Kray007 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Posts: 416
Thanks: 12
Thanked 199 Times in 91 Posts
Default On September 28, 1969

The Colts walked into Metropolitan Stadium in Minneapolis to face off against the Vikings. Three hours later, they staggered off the field on the short end of a 52-14 annihilation in which Joe Kapp and two backups threw for almost 540 yards.

The next year, they finished 11-2-1 and carried home the Lombardi Trophy.

Donít get me wrong; Iím not saying that the Colts are a year away from the promised land. Next yearís QB is likely to be a rookie whoíll experience the usual growing pains. But, also, donít mistake that as pessimism. Chris Ballard has put together a heckuva roster that only needs a few tweaks to walk into the big game and carry off the trophy.

Some luck is needed. Drafting a QB always has elements of a crap shoot. But, if Ballard hits with the pick and he adds a couple of pieces to the OLÖ
Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Kray007 For This Useful Post:
Colts And Orioles (12-09-2022), JAFF (12-07-2022), Racehorse (12-07-2022)
  #2  
Old 12-07-2022, 07:21 AM
Racehorse's Avatar
Racehorse Racehorse is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: God's green Earth
Posts: 12,080
Thanks: 13,717
Thanked 3,582 Times in 2,099 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kray007 View Post
The Colts walked into Metropolitan Stadium in Minneapolis to face off against the Vikings. Three hours later, they staggered off the field on the short end of a 52-14 annihilation in which Joe Kapp and two backups threw for almost 540 yards.

The next year, they finished 11-2-1 and carried home the Lombardi Trophy.

Donít get me wrong; Iím not saying that the Colts are a year away from the promised land. Next yearís QB is likely to be a rookie whoíll experience the usual growing pains. But, also, donít mistake that as pessimism. Chris Ballard has put together a heckuva roster that only needs a few tweaks to walk into the big game and carry off the trophy.

Some luck is needed. Drafting a QB always has elements of a crap shoot. But, if Ballard hits with the pick and he adds a couple of pieces to the OLÖ
Glad someone gets it.
__________________
Keep your political crap out of a football forum! Nobody here gives a rat's a**
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 12-07-2022, 09:56 AM
Oldcolt Oldcolt is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Posts: 1,864
Thanks: 1,987
Thanked 1,900 Times in 855 Posts
Default

I was a Colt fan back then. That team wasn't nearly as bad as this one, they finished second and were 8-5. Having said that, I agree completely. Next year who knows? This year we pretty much know.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 12-07-2022, 08:09 PM
IndyNorm's Avatar
IndyNorm IndyNorm is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Posts: 1,470
Thanks: 794
Thanked 788 Times in 446 Posts
Default

Another more recent example was the '02 playoff 41-0 skull fucking we took from the Jets. Although as with the '69 team previously mentioned the '02 team was a lot better than this year.

Getting the OL fixed is just as important as getting a QB b/c if the OL continues to play like this years then it doesn't matter who our QB is.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 12-07-2022, 08:17 PM
YDFL Commish YDFL Commish is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: Mt. Pleasant Wisconsin
Posts: 2,957
Thanks: 1,550
Thanked 1,846 Times in 992 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndyNorm View Post
Another more recent example was the '02 playoff 41-0 skull fucking we took from the Jets. Although as with the '69 team previously mentioned the '02 team was a lot better than this year.

Getting the OL fixed is just as important as getting a QB b/c if the OL continues to play like this years then it doesn't matter who our QB is.
Didn't we hear from a liquored up kicker after that game?
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 12-07-2022, 08:21 PM
apballin apballin is offline
Doom -N- Gloom
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Posts: 1,557
Thanks: 1,499
Thanked 921 Times in 520 Posts
Default

Parity now more then ever in the NFL hell look at the Rams

Unless you have Burrow, Mahomes or Allen
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to apballin For This Useful Post:
Racehorse (12-08-2022)
  #7  
Old 12-07-2022, 08:22 PM
IndyNorm's Avatar
IndyNorm IndyNorm is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Posts: 1,470
Thanks: 794
Thanked 788 Times in 446 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by YDFL Commish View Post
Didn't we hear from a liquored up kicker after that game?
Yep. That's the game where Vandershank ran his mouth off on Canadian TV a week after the beat down.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 12-07-2022, 08:27 PM
Pez Pez is offline
Accidental Administrator
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Posts: 1,559
Thanks: 994
Thanked 676 Times in 367 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kray007 View Post
The Colts walked into Metropolitan Stadium in Minneapolis to face off against the Vikings. Three hours later, they staggered off the field on the short end of a 52-14 annihilation in which Joe Kapp and two backups threw for almost 540 yards.

The next year, they finished 11-2-1 and carried home the Lombardi Trophy.

Donít get me wrong; Iím not saying that the Colts are a year away from the promised land. Next yearís QB is likely to be a rookie whoíll experience the usual growing pains. But, also, donít mistake that as pessimism. Chris Ballard has put together a heckuva roster that only needs a few tweaks to walk into the big game and carry off the trophy.

Some luck is needed. Drafting a QB always has elements of a crap shoot. But, if Ballard hits with the pick and he adds a couple of pieces to the OLÖ
I am 100% homer, however I find it difficult to believe this season is the start of a years-long process to fix.

At the core is OL. I'm a bit pissed at Ballard for his comment that "y'all pressured me to draft a WR". Yes, Pierce is good and potentially great, but honeslty, were all grown ups here, you let some key players walk, and didnt draft anyone behind them.... Pierce is really the difference between a top 5 OL and the bottom? He's not selling anyone on this bullshit.

To a certain extent, if we cant protect and playcall to a QB's strengths, we cant be successful. One of my lessons learned in the last 5 years is how talented Philip Rivers actually is. And I also think he is a douchebag.
__________________
** 2017 Premier league champion **

"I want to dominate all my opponents, and take their will away to play the game, by each play, and finishing them past the whistle."
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 12-08-2022, 07:31 AM
Racehorse's Avatar
Racehorse Racehorse is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: God's green Earth
Posts: 12,080
Thanks: 13,717
Thanked 3,582 Times in 2,099 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pez View Post
I am 100% homer, however I find it difficult to believe this season is the start of a years-long process to fix.

At the core is OL. I'm a bit pissed at Ballard for his comment that "y'all pressured me to draft a WR". Yes, Pierce is good and potentially great, but honeslty, were all grown ups here, you let some key players walk, and didnt draft anyone behind them.... Pierce is really the difference between a top 5 OL and the bottom? He's not selling anyone on this bullshit.

To a certain extent, if we cant protect and playcall to a QB's strengths, we cant be successful. One of my lessons learned in the last 5 years is how talented Philip Rivers actually is. And I also think he is a douchebag.
I think too much was made out of that soundbite. I don't think he was making the point you are insinuating, but that when a team gets a strong area, another area becomes weak. That is the nature of the salary cap, and the short peaks of the careers of NFL players.
__________________
Keep your political crap out of a football forum! Nobody here gives a rat's a**
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Racehorse For This Useful Post:
Pez (12-08-2022)
  #10  
Old 12-08-2022, 08:34 AM
Dam8610 Dam8610 is offline
Post whore
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Posts: 5,345
Thanks: 85
Thanked 1,252 Times in 747 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pez View Post
I am 100% homer, however I find it difficult to believe this season is the start of a years-long process to fix.

At the core is OL. I'm a bit pissed at Ballard for his comment that "y'all pressured me to draft a WR". Yes, Pierce is good and potentially great, but honeslty, were all grown ups here, you let some key players walk, and didnt draft anyone behind them.... Pierce is really the difference between a top 5 OL and the bottom? He's not selling anyone on this bullshit.

To a certain extent, if we cant protect and playcall to a QB's strengths, we cant be successful. One of my lessons learned in the last 5 years is how talented Philip Rivers actually is. And I also think he is a douchebag.
Did he really make that comment? Because that is a bad look. Ballard is an NFL GM. No amount of fan pressure should influence his pick.

That said, Alec Pierce is a really talented WR. He could certainly point out "What guard was available that would've given us the value Alec does?" And that would've been a completely valid argument that doesn't make him look bad.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by omahacolt View Post
i was wrong.
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Dam8610 For This Useful Post:
Racehorse (12-08-2022)
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:46 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2023, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
ColtFreaks.com is in no way affiliated with the Indianapolis Colts, the NFL, or any of their subsidiaries.