![]() |
Colts draft CB Justin Walley - Round 3, Pick 80
https://x.com/RomeovilleKid/status/1915953824478495129
Quote:
Quote:
|
definitely need talent on that side of the ball so I don't hate drafting the position
I don't pay enough attention anymore to the college guys to have an opinion of this kid at the moment. |
Surprised we took him w/ that low of a RAS score and seems like we could have gotten later in the draft. But he was obviously really productive in college so that's good. I would have preferred Xavier Watts here.
|
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E2m8SjH7_-U&t=2275s
This host is a former DB and film study guy. He brought on Walley and did like an hour-and-a-half film session with him. Good watch. Talking through the X's and O's, what he's thinking on a given play, what he should have done, etc. |
People were saying we drafted him too high. But there seemed to be a lot of interest in him. Teams had him going within the next ten picks. Shows you have to take what those draft services say with a grain of salt.
As for the player. He had a good career. Watch him against Harrison last year. Multiple receivers this year. He’s a good player. |
Quote:
|
Quote:
Quote:
|
Quote:
Quote:
I'm interested to see how Wally ends up comparing to Robert Longerbeam out of Rutgers, who BAL got at the end of the 6th, as their size, production in college, speed, and that they're both likely moving into the slot make them seem almost interchangeable. |
Quote:
1.14 TE Tyler Warren - The most obvious pick of the draft IMO after Cam Ward, Warren should give the Colts an elite receiver and average blocker at the TE position as a rookie, plus the versatility he offers should lead to some interesting packages Steichen draws up for the offense. Don't be surprised to see Warren take a shotgun snap in a split backfield flanked by AR and JT/Giddens at some point in 2025. 2.45 DT Darius Alexander - I don't have the option to here, but if I did, I'd probably trade down first given where he went in the actual draft. There are two other players I considered here: Omarr Norman-Lott and Shemar Turner. Obviously, I feel DT is a larger need than Ballard does. That's because while the Colts have two Pro Bowl starters in DeForest Buckner and Grover Stewart, they're both 31, and behind them? Adetomiwa Adebawore, who hasn't translated elite traits into on field production to date, and career backup Neville Gallimore. By drafting Darius Alexander, the Colts would've given themselves a Milton Williams like player who could start out rotating in for 40-60% of snaps this year, then gradually increase his role as Buckner ages. So why Alexander instead of Turner or Norman-Lott? Ultimately it comes down to traits and projectability. Alexander is longer, bigger, and similar athletically to Turner, and while Norman-Lott had the best per snap pass rush production by far of any DT in this class, he has a similar issue that Adebawore had coming into the league in that he is currently pure liability against the run. Alexander was the best combination of size, length, athleticism, and production to potentially be an eventual Buckner replacement after Derrick Harmon in this draft, which makes him the obvious choice to me here. 3.80 S Kevin Winston Jr. - This is where the replacement value game starts. There are 3 players I considered here: Winston Jr., Josaiah Stewart, and Charles Grant. Those 3 players were incredibly close in value for me, too close to call in fact, so how do I make the decision? Look down the board. Do I think there's an edge rusher I can get later that's close in value to Stewart? Yes. Do I think there's a tackle I can get later that's close in value to Grant? Yes. Do I think there's a safety I can get later that's close in value to Winston Jr.? No, he's where the value falls off a cliff on the safety board. After him, you're sacrificing measurables, production, or both. I like Billy Bowman Jr. and Lathan Ransom, but both went before pick 127. As for Winston Jr., had he not been injured, he likely would've been a Top 25 talent in this year's class. The best word that can be used to describe a healthy Kevin Winston Jr. is eraser. He'll erase an opponent's TE or slot receiver in coverage, he's instinctual enough to read and erase a screen game, and he erases potentially big gain runs, holding them to small gains or even TFLs. I don't want to see a healthy Winston Jr. on the Titans. 4.127 EDGE Bradyn Swinson - The reason I didn't take Stewart earlier, Bradyn Swinson has an excellent combination of traits and production that make him an intriguing rotational EDGE rusher, and potential replacement for Kwity Paye should he leave in free agency. 5.151 RB D.J. Giddens - The Colts nailed this pick as far as I'm concerned. Giddens will be a contributor on all 3 downs as a RB immediately, and could eventually develop into a top end RB1. His running style is reminiscent of Jonathan Taylor's, and since my comp for Taylor was Arian Foster with rockets strapped to his cleats, the comps of Giddens I've seen to Arian Foster also make sense. When he catches the ball, Giddens is very reminiscent of Edgerrin James as a receiver, he even has a TD catch on a wheel route up the right sideline that looks like Edge's left sideline wheel route catch against the Commanders in 2000(?), and if he can get more consistent catching the ball, he'll be a legitimate weapon in the passing game. He's not great in pass pro, but his average with clear effort pass pro will likely open camp as the best RB pass pro skillset on the team, so expect to see a lot of him on 3rd down this year and beyond. 6.189 DT Warren Brinson - Getting more athleticism and pass rush at the DT position from a guy who probably should've gone all round or two earlier makes sense here. Also, deep DT rotation would be great. 6.190 OT Cameron Williams - The reason I didn't take Charles Grant at 80, Williams also could've gone a round or three earlier than he did. Athletic with great measurables for the position, don't be surprised if Stoutland turns this kid into a Pro Bowler. 7.232 LB Hunter Wohler - I skipped the pretense and listed him at the position he'll likely play for the Colts. If he seems undersized as a LB, look up Darius Leonard and Jamien Sherwood. Wohler is more athletic than both with shorter arms. This could end up as one of the steals of the draft. BONUS: UDFAs OT Logan Brown - Why not? Premiere athleticism, length, and experience. This profile doesn't go undrafted often. OG Joe Huber - See above. LB Jamon Dumas-Johnson - There’s something here to unlock, potential Zaire upgrade. CB Tommi Hill - Early teams demon who could develop into a starting boundary CB. DT Elijah Simmons - Athletic tree stump that should help to take away the opposing run game on the 30-40% of snaps Grover doesn't play. EDGE Tyler Batty - Athletic power EDGE with decent production. RB Donovan Edwards - Missed out on TreVeyon Henderson? Need a RB that can do everything you'd want out of a RB other than run the ball at an above average-elite level? Edwards is your man. |
From everything I have watched and read, Walley is going to be a very good player in this league.
|
Quote:
During the 2nd round I was thinking Alexander would have made sense, but I think his relative lack of production against mid major talent was definitely a red flag (and I'm sure a big reason why he fell to the 3rd round). Plus I do like the Touimloau pick, especially if he can slide inside and rush the passer like Dayo did. |
Quote:
|
Quote:
|
Quote:
After the draft, Destin Adams reached out to some scouts on other teams and he said that they were considering drafting Walley in the third round. https://atozsports.com/nfl/indianapo...ach-but-steal/ Quote:
|
Quote:
|
Some of my favorite news coming out early is Walley with the first team reps. Whether that remains the case, we'll see. But every indication is that they love the kid.
Very excited to watch him. DB room as a whole is really intriguing, especially with Anarumo's emphasis on them for his scheme. |
>> Don't be surprised to see Warren take a shotgun snap in a split backfield flanked by AR and JT/Giddens at some point in 2025.
I'm not too sure about this...has he played QB since high school? (not sure of Penn State ever used him at QB?) I think Jason Bean is more likely to be used in such a role, if he makes the final roster. |
Quote:
|
Even though this is encouraging, remember that Nick Cross Started the first 2 games of his rookie season and got benched after 1 series of his 2nd game.
I'm not saying this will be the case for Walley, but for him to beat out both Jones and Brents would be quite an accomplishment. |
Quote:
Brents is always hurt, so I get not giving him the nod there, but Jones? I don’t immediately understand how the rookie is instantly given the nod over Jones. What does he look like in pads? Im not in the building but that feels more political than Meritocratic. Maybe it works out! |
Quote:
|
Quote:
|
It's less to me about whether or not he's pencilled as the starter.
Jones has proven he can play, Brents has made an impact when he can stay on the field, and now Walley is at least showing enough thave the team gush about him and give him reps with the #1's out the gate. So not only should it be a nice little battle to establish who starts across from Ward... But it's nice to have the depth. Plus Walley and the safeties working the slot behind Moore helps. |
Quote:
|
Quote:
|
Quote:
Even Rodney Thomas appears to be making some plays in this defense in training camp so far. So the safety room is possibly looking a little brighter as well. Even if i would have liked the Colts to have re-signed Blackmon. Hopefully Daniel Scott can stay healthy and be the No. 4 guy. |
Guess I'll keep my mouth shut next time. First I read that Brents is sitting out with a hamstring.
Then I read 5 mins ago that Jones got carted off the field with a hamstring. Ask Jelani Woods if those linger. Goddamn it. |
Quote:
|
Colts CB room already had a lot of injuries...now add another. Hopefully nothing too serious.
https://x.com/NateAtkins_/status/1952824554734404099 Quote:
|
So frustrating.
|
Quote:
|
Quote:
I haven't seen any updates on Walley... I'm hoping it's just a bruise or something since he was hanging out with ice and not taken away. Of course, now that I bring it up, I'm sure he'll fall out of a window. |
Superstitious my ass.
Walley done with a torn ACL |
Quote:
|
out with an acl is fucking brutal
|
Bummer about Walley. Looks like JT Tuimoloau dodged a major knee injury though.
|
Get your buttholes ready. Kenny Moore left practice with a knee injury.
Goddamn unbelievable. |
o
Colts Stock Report After Ugly Win vs. Texans ...... 3 Risers, 2 Fallers (By Deake Walley https://www.si.com/nfl/colts/onsi/co...sers-2-fallers Risers Keenan Allen Adetimowa Adebawore Justin Walley Fallers Daniel Jones Laiatu Latu Justin Walley After 2 tough outings to start his NFL career against the Baltimore Ravens and the Kansas City Chiefs, Justin Walley bounced back in a big way against the Houston Texans. Walley was sticky in coverage, breaking up 2 passes and also converging on 3 tackles (2 solos, 1 assisted.) This time Walley wasn't a liability, but rather a defensive back who stood out positively. This is the performance that you expect from the cornerback that gave Indianapolis confidence to part ways with Kenny Moore II, the latter of whom has been one of the NFL's top nickel defenders for years. Yes, Nico Collins wasn't in the game ...... but it was still an excellent performance from Walley, who, despite being in his 1st year playing, is still getting his feet wet in the NFL. o |
I felt Walley played a good game. After two atrocious performances, he went from liability to asset. One game does not make a season, but I'm hopeful that he's learned from his mistakes and is ready to be a valued contributor.
|
Quote:
Thankfully, Tere Calloway posted Walley's entire all-22 cut-up in response. At KC he gave up 1 catch - the 13yd Kelce TD. But they attributed him with like 10 catches and 190yds or some insane line because they don't understand shit about coverage responsibilities. We got a good one and he'll keep getting better. |
| All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:24 AM. |
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
ColtFreaks.com is in no way affiliated with the Indianapolis Colts, the NFL, or any of their subsidiaries.