ColtFreaks.com - Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum   ColtFreaks.com Home Page

Go Back   ColtFreaks.com - Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum > Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum > Indianapolis Colts Discussion

Old 10-10-2018, 07:54 AM

Thanked 1,180 Times in 356 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by omahacolt View Post
I don’t remember hearing about him going after those guys. Other than norwell
Yeah, I don't think there's anything reported that backs any of that up besides Norwell.
Old 10-10-2018, 07:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colts And Orioles View Post
o

That was '08.

That really pissed me off because the Colts beat the Steelers on their home-field during that 9-game winning streak, and I felt that they were the only AFC team that REALLY had a chance to beat them in those '08 playoffs.

They had to travel to shitty San Diego's homefield for the Wildcard playoff game, even though the Colts were 12-4 and the Chargers were 8-8, and even though the Colts beat them head-on in the regular season.

The last game that the Colts lost that season was a Monday night contest against the Titans. They were leading 7-6 at halftime, and then Manning drive them to a touchdown to start the 3rd quarter to make it 14-6. Then the defense got a stop, but the refs bailed out the Titans with a chintzy INT call. The Titans proceeded to take advantage of that call, and subsequently scored a TD and took control of the game after that. That game (and possibly that crucial INT call) likely cost the Colts the division title, and home-field advantage throughout the playoffs.

And that overrated Titans team lost to the Ravens in the divisional playoff game ........ 2008 was such a wasted opportunity in which fate was not on the Colts' side.

o
Completely agree, all that sucked.

And not only to lose in SD, but to lose because of a career game by a god damn punter and inability to convert 3rd and short at the end of the game.

The goal line stand against the Steelers was the highlight of the season though
Old 10-10-2018, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chromeburn View Post
That’s the thing, he has gone after free agents. Ballard inquired about Robinson but he wasn’t interested. He went after Norwell, got outbid. He also wanted Calais Campbell, he wanted to go to the jags. He wanted AJ Bouye, not interested. Ballard has been selective about who he has pursued, and he has tried the best FA’s out there. I think he does have a price in his head and won’t get into a bidding war for a guy.

What Ballard doesn’t want is to sign mediocre players for big money. He wants to build a base core through the draft and let them define the culture of the team. He doesn’t want a problem child, he doesn’t want negative locker room presences. I’m ok with this. We need talent at core positions. Probably since 2008-09 this team has overly relied on QB play. Too much bad drafting. I’m hoping that is about to change.

Once we got some talent on this team I can see him getting a FA or two. I want super bowls, I don’t want a decade of good not great like the Pacers. And I feel like getting some FA’s now just makes us decent so we are picking in the middle of the draft.
Like Omaha and GBB, I don't recall hearing or reading that the Colts were going after many of the people you mentioned other than Norwall. Norwall was a significant, high priced free agent though, so I suppose its may seem a bit inconsistent with the idea that he would wait before adding big name free agents. What I'd say in response is (1) while Norwall was a high priced free agent, he's not really the type of splashy free agent that I think the Colts were trying to avoid, and (2) I think the "culture" on the offensive side of the ball is a lot more mature than on the defense.

So if my read is correct, Ballard would be much more likely to bring in a high end offensive free agent than a high end defensive free agent. That being said, I still can't see a malcontent like Le'veon Bell being appealing to the Colts.
Old 10-10-2018, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrSpaceman View Post
Completely agree, all that sucked.

And not only to lose in SD, but to lose because of a career game by a god damn punter and inability to convert 3rd and short at the end of the game.

The goal line stand against the Steelers was the highlight of the season though
Didn’t Vinnie miss like a 27 yard field goal in that game??
Old 10-10-2018, 03:02 PM
Post whore

Thanked 3,582 Times in 2,004 Posts

Quote:
I don’t remember hearing about him going after those guys. Other than norwell
Because we made it to the negotiation stage with Norwell. I think Bouye listened at least. Campbell wasn’t interested at all.
Old 10-10-2018, 07:22 PM

Thanked 2,211 Times in 1,191 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by njcoltfan View Post
Didn’t Vinnie miss like a 27 yard field goal in that game??
First off, C&O, you are right, it was 2008. Typo on my part.

njcoltfan, I also believe that you're right, and that it was to win the game.
Old 10-10-2018, 07:37 PM

Thanked 4,275 Times in 1,745 Posts

Quote:
Because we made it to the negotiation stage with Norwell. I think Bouye listened at least. Campbell wasn’t interested at all.
I don’t believe you
Old 10-10-2018, 08:29 PM
Post whore

Thanked 3,582 Times in 2,004 Posts

Quote:
I don’t believe you
Google it, or don't. It doesn't really matter and I don't really give a shit.

Last edited by Chromeburn; 10-10-2018 at 08:32 PM.
Old 10-10-2018, 09:16 PM

Thanked 4,275 Times in 1,745 Posts

Quote:
Google it, or don't. It doesn't really matter and I don't really give a shit.
No thanks
Old 10-11-2018, 07:45 AM

Thanked 1,189 Times in 523 Posts

Quote:
After doing some key term searches, I cannot find any evidence that the Colts every talked to Campbell or Bouye. I can find a lot of sports news articles saying things like "a good fit for xxxx is the Colts" but not anything that actually says we were talking to them.

I am not saying that we were not talking to them, but I find no evidence that we were.

Anyway, I think the 2019 off-season will be different because he is/has established the team's identity this season. Regardless of our ending record (which I now think will be around 8 wins), this team's identity will be established on:

Offense: Luck, Hilton, Doyle, Ebron, AC, Nelson, Kelly, Smith, Hines and Wilkins.

Defense: Hunt (assuming he is re-signed), Sheard, Turay, Leonard, Walker, Hooker (I am not sold on any of the CBs as a long term solution).

I expect us to add at least a couple of higher priced free agents (CB and WR especially) this season to help fill in the holes. If Ballard sits on his pile of money again, I will be very surprised.

Walk Worthy,
The Following User Says Thank You to sherck For This Useful Post:
GoBigBlue88 (10-11-2018)