ColtFreaks.com - Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum   ColtFreaks.com Home Page

Go Back   ColtFreaks.com - Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum > Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum > Indianapolis Colts Discussion
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Old 10-11-2020, 09:02 PM

Thanked 1,242 Times in 697 Posts

Meh. I give the team some props for even having a shot late. I thought the stains would win by 20+ after looking at the starting lineups. That said, I’m still disappointed in Rivers and the play calling.
The Following User Says Thank You to Thorgrim For This Useful Post:
Colts And Orioles (10-12-2020)
Old 10-11-2020, 09:45 PM

Thanked 1,304 Times in 712 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chromeburn View Post
The defense held Mayfield to 19 yards passing in the second half and no TDs. But we still lost by two scores. Landry has a couple awful drops to help that though.

Our running game needs to pick it up. All that investment in the oline needs to pay off. Having 2nd and 3rd receiver out does little to help either.
Yep, outside of Rivers stinking up the joint, the strength of the offense was supposed to be this offensive line and the running game, and the line has been average at best most of the season.
Old 10-11-2020, 11:00 PM

Thanked 1,666 Times in 796 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maniac View Post
Yep, outside of Rivers stinking up the joint, the strength of the offense was supposed to be this offensive line and the running game, and the line has been average at best most of the season.
I'm not sure if I'm ready to blame it on the oline. Taylor has terrible vision, he leaves a ton of yards on the field. We really do miss Mack, I could guarantee the numbers would look a lot better with him in the mix.
I hope Taylor shows some improvement in reading his blocks.
Old 10-11-2020, 11:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoosierinFL View Post
I'm not sure if I'm ready to blame it on the oline. Taylor has terrible vision, he leaves a ton of yards on the field. We really do miss Mack, I could guarantee the numbers would look a lot better with him in the mix.
He was improved in that department today. The problem was they only handed the ball off to him 12 times. Piss poor play calling.
apballin (10-12-2020), Spike (10-12-2020)
Old 10-11-2020, 11:59 PM
Post whore

Thanked 4,808 Times in 2,679 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by nate505 View Post
Is Rivers brain dead today?
Yes he is
Old 10-12-2020, 12:06 AM
Historian

Thanked 3,270 Times in 2,017 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colts And Orioles View Post
o

On back-to-back plays, the Browns were BEGGING to give the Colts the ball back ........ an incomplete pass to stop the clock on 2nd down, and an ultra-conservative run up the middle on 3rd and 9, and they STILL couldn't stop them.

That was total suckage by the defense right there, after they had looked really impressive making adjustment on the Browns' 4 previous possessions.

o

Quote:

The defense was tired, they had been on the field too long, and were too thin because of injuries. I'm not gonna shit on them for that last drive.

As far as I'm concerned the D held them realistically to 20 points, 23 if you really gonna count the FG at the end. But that was effectively a 2nd half shutout, we just needed to not throw a pick 6 and try and throw from shotgun from our own end-zone against one of the best pass rushers in the NFL. That was stupid.

o

I agree that the offense was a lot more at fault than was the defense overall for losing the game, and that the defense really turned it around in the 2nd half. But on 3rd and 9 when they run it right up the middle, you have to make the tackle. He ran right into them, and they failed to wrap him up.

But even if they had made the stop, there is no guarantee that the offense necessarily would have scored the touchdown that they needed.

I think that Reich will help them right the ship after losing this winnable game, just like he did after the Jaguars loss on opening day ...... and I suspect that he will start by reminding Rivers that he isn't shy about going for it on 4th down, and that essentially gives him (Rivers) an extra down to work with that most quarterbacks don't have with more conventional coaches. I believe that that is/was part of the reason for Rivers' bad decision-making on the 2 critical INT's that he threw today.

o

Bert Jones, Johnny Unitas, Earl Morrall ))))))))).lll) Jim Harbaugh, Peyton Manning, Andrew Luck

Last edited by Colts And Orioles; 10-12-2020 at 01:58 AM.
Old 10-12-2020, 12:18 AM
Historian

Thanked 3,270 Times in 2,017 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorgrim View Post

Meh. I give the team some props for even having a shot late. I thought the stains would win by 20+ after looking at the starting lineups. That said, I’m still disappointed in Rivers and the play calling.

o

I was encouraged by them getting back into the game after having been down by a score of 27-10.

I think that even on a bad day at this point in his career, a 38 year-old Rivers is still a little bit better than a 27 year-old Brissett is on a good one.

o

Bert Jones, Johnny Unitas, Earl Morrall ))))))))).lll) Jim Harbaugh, Peyton Manning, Andrew Luck
Old 10-12-2020, 03:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colts And Orioles View Post
o

I was encouraged by them getting back into the game after having been down by a score of 27-10.

I think that even on a bad day at this point in his career, a 38 year-old Rivers is still a little bit better than a 27 year-old Brissett is on a good one.

o
Too right. For anyone who has forgotten how poor Jacoby was last year, think back to last week when he got some garbage time. He looked dreadful in the pocket and again locked on to his first read.
Old 10-12-2020, 08:55 AM

Thanked 1,304 Times in 712 Posts

Quote:
Oh I'm not blaming it all on the o-line, but that is supposed to be our strongest unit and it's not performing as that.

Mack would obviously help, but in situations where our line should dominate for those tough yards, they aren't doing it. To me so far they look like an average offensive line, not one of the league's best.

It could be that someone is banged up outside of Castanzo, or maybe because they didn't have the usual time in the offseason. Who knows.

As DaEdge mentioned, play calling has been bad in those situations as well.
Old 10-12-2020, 09:03 AM

Thanked 4,290 Times in 1,755 Posts

Quote:
I don’t agree that Taylor has terrible vision. I think he is just adjusting to the nfl. The line has been very bad at opening holes, we telegraph runs but don’t win at the line, and we don’t threaten the defenses with a downfield passing attack.

Not saying Taylor will be a top 5 back but I don’t think it is just he has terrible vision
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to omahacolt For This Useful Post:
daedge (10-12-2020), Racehorse (10-12-2020)