ColtFreaks.com - Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum   ColtFreaks.com Home Page

Go Back   ColtFreaks.com - Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum > Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum > Indianapolis Colts Discussion

Old 09-15-2020, 06:35 AM

Thanked 4,361 Times in 2,508 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butter View Post
The only thing that keeps me from feeling like this is full apocalyptic is the Colts historically have shit the Bed vs Jax.
In Jacksonville, we have lost a bunch in a row. In season openers, we have done poorly since Manning retired. That is the perspective for this loss.
AlwaysSunnyinIndy (09-16-2020), Butter (09-16-2020)
Old 09-15-2020, 11:35 AM

Thanked 1,476 Times in 814 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flexo View Post

I think Phil Rivers is donezo. I hope I'm wrong but I bet we see a lot more back breaking interceptions the rest of the season.
Not done but definitely at tail end of career. I expect a mix of some good games and ok games, ones where we see some dumb interceptions on throws he used to make. I hope eason picks things up quickly and we see him next season.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 09-15-2020, 11:56 AM
Post whore

Thanked 3,582 Times in 2,004 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flexo View Post
I think the lack of real full contact in the pre season is the reason for the run game being so shit, I think that will come with time.

I think Phil Rivers is donezo. I hope I'm wrong but I bet we see a lot more back breaking interceptions the rest of the season.

ALSO where the FUCK was Deforest Buckner this game, does anyone know? We gave up a high first round pick and a metric butt fuck of money for what exactly? What was his impact in the game? I didn't see any pressure up the middle. Need to see him give his money's worth.
Rivers is going to throw interceptions. But we shouldn't be dependant on him to win games. We have invested heavily in the offensive line, they are there to run the ball. They did horribly. The Jags have 16 rookies on their team. They are aiming for Trevor Lawrence. That game should not have been in doubt.
Old 09-15-2020, 08:41 PM

Thanked 1,647 Times in 790 Posts

I'll comment here to do my take on that dude no one cares about anymore who did a dopey report card for Rats.

Passive Offense: B-
Interceptions and late drops lower this grade, but they were moving the ball and gaining a lot of yards. Campbell and TY were open a lot. Passes to the RBs were working quite well.

Rushing Offense: C+
Losing Mack was killer, and they just abandoned the run after that. It worked in spots but failures to convert short yardage situations is worrisome. That was something that was NOT a problem last year, what happened?

Rushing Defense: D
It's not an F only because they got a little better in the 2nd half, but this was a dismal showing from the D-line who got pushed around, and LBs were generally out of position, letting backs get the 2nd level the entire first half of the game, and frequently in the second half.

Passing Defense: F
What else can you say when you give up 19/20 on passing? Let them have an F+ because we got some pressure here and there? Nah. The thing is, despite the sacks, you got get pressure every down. Even when you don't sack the qb, an effective pass rush will still disrupt his timing. That's not happening enough with this defense, and obviously neither is that soft zone.

Special Teams: B
They say the miss was tipped, I haven't seen the replay. But a miss is a miss. Returns were OK. Coverage was OK.

Coaching: F
I almost hate to say it, but Frank Reich has not shown a ton of improvement in his decision making. He admitted to a lot of it this week, but that doesn't change the fact that he doesn't improve from his mistakes. In fact, his awareness of them coupled with failure to correct them has become THE problem for this staff. I think at the least he needs to give up on the idea of calling plays and be the head coach and let the OC be the OC and call the plays. If this season looks like last in terms of bone-headed plays and late game mistakes, and there's no improvement in the W/L column, he's on the hot seat as far as I'm concerned. Yes, I said it.
And everyone is still questioning the defensive scheme.
And why did the defense look so confused?

Overall: F
Came in talking a lot of swagger and took a big shit and rolled around in it. Better check yourself for next week.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to HoosierinFL For This Useful Post:
Chaka (09-16-2020), Hoopsdoc (09-16-2020), IndyNorm (09-16-2020), omahacolt (09-16-2020), Racehorse (09-16-2020), smitty46953 (09-15-2020)
Old 09-16-2020, 09:12 AM

[QUOTE=omahacolt;168592]1. I still love how aggressive Reich is. I like that he took the knee for the whole team. I liked that he had the offense clearly on the same page with scripted, well designed plays to start the game. It always seems that after we run 15 or so plays, we are done for awhile. We just hit a wall. I really can’t stand putting Brissett out there. That shit needs to stop.
QUOTE]

Great comments as always, thanks. I usually like Reich's aggressiveness, but I wasn't a big fan of going for the TD when we were up 7-0 and had failed to get the ball in the end zone on three prior attempts. Not sure if this is my own Monday-morning QBing or not, but there needs to be some limits on the aggressiveness, and it would have been nice to be up two scores at the point. It seems like the air came out of the balloon at little at that point.

Curious if you've looked at the all 22 yet and, if so, what you saw. Also your comment about Buckner showing "promise" is interesting since the prevailing opinion here seems to be that he did not live up to the hype. Can you provide any further thoughts on this? Thanks again.
Old 09-16-2020, 10:12 AM

Thanked 4,275 Times in 1,745 Posts

[QUOTE=Chaka;168795]
Quote:
Originally Posted by omahacolt View Post
1. I still love how aggressive Reich is. I like that he took the knee for the whole team. I liked that he had the offense clearly on the same page with scripted, well designed plays to start the game. It always seems that after we run 15 or so plays, we are done for awhile. We just hit a wall. I really can’t stand putting Brissett out there. That shit needs to stop.
QUOTE]

Great comments as always, thanks. I usually like Reich's aggressiveness, but I wasn't a big fan of going for the TD when we were up 7-0 and had failed to get the ball in the end zone on three prior attempts. Not sure if this is my own Monday-morning QBing or not, but there needs to be some limits on the aggressiveness, and it would have been nice to be up two scores at the point. It seems like the air came out of the balloon at little at that point.

Curious if you've looked at the all 22 yet and, if so, what you saw. Also your comment about Buckner showing "promise" is interesting since the prevailing opinion here seems to be that he did not live up to the hype. Can you provide any further thoughts on this? Thanks again.
i haven’t watched the all 22 yet and might not until Saturday unfortunately. For Buckner, he had some good snaps . I don’t know what people are expecting but he isn’t Aaron Donald.

Last edited by omahacolt; 09-16-2020 at 10:15 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to omahacolt For This Useful Post:
Chaka (09-16-2020)
Old 09-16-2020, 10:33 AM

Thanked 1,476 Times in 814 Posts

Chappel posted this little nugget.

Top Comp % by QB in NFL history (min 20 atts)

1. 96.67 - Drew Brees (29-30) wk 15 '19, vs Colts
2. 96.55 - Philip Rivers (28-29) wk 12 '18 vs KC
3. 95.65 - Marcus Mariota (22-23) '18 vs. Houston
4. 95.00 - Gardner Minshew (19-20), wk 1 '20 vs Colts

2 against our current defense.
Old 09-16-2020, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chromeburn View Post
What is frustrating is our best pass rusher is Justin Houston. We still need a franchise pass rusher after four years. Going to need a franchise QB very soon. And our franchise LT is about to retire. Basically the foundation positions on a team.
So the team loses one disappointing game and now the entire franchise is in a tailspin? Just a week ago the majority of the people here were predicting 10 wins or more. There are lots of reasons to explain why we lost this game, one of which is admittedly that the team isn't as good as everyone thinks. But I'll remind you, it was the first game of the season - even in a normal season, weird things are prone to happen in the first game as teams work out the kinks, and I'd imagine that's only magnified here because of the lack of a traditional preseason, COVID, lack of fan attendance, new players still being integrated into the system, etc. So it's premature to begin writing the obituary yet (and yes, I know that's not exactly what you were doing, but I'm addressing the larger sentiment expressed here).

As far as your criticisms, to begin with I assume your reference to "four years" is a reference to Ballard's tenure. If so, more accurately its really only been three years, as we just had the first game of the fourth year (though there's been four offseasons). Second, I agree with the disappointment that we haven't been able to find a franchise pass rusher so far, though it’s not for a lack of trying as we've used several high picks on pass rush prospects. If these guys don't develop, that's on Ballard, Reich and the rest of the coaches and front office. My understanding is that they've always believed that a franchise DT was critical to their defensive scheme, so Buckner needs to produce in that role and if he doesn't that is again on Ballard, Reich, etc. Given how much we paid for him (both in cash and draft capital), that would be a real blow.

The franchise QB criticism is tired, honestly. What was the team supposed to do when Luck abruptly announced his retirement last year during preseason? Take out any team's franchise QB (Mahomes, Jackson, Rodgers, etc.) and they'll be in the same boat and will probably do the same thing we did – bring in an experienced QB to hold down the fort while they hunt for a long-term solution. I suppose we could have traded up and drafted Jordan Love, but from what I've read he's not doing well so far and is no position to help GB this year. So we went out and got Rivers as a stopgap, and resisted the pressure to negotiate a contract of two years or more, signaling to me at least that the team was unconvinced that he's the answer and we want to keep our options open if he doesn't work out. I suppose you could argue we should have signed someone else, Cam Newton perhaps, and that's a fair point but it didn't seem like there was tons of interest in Newton league-wide for some reason (including his former team). I don't know why but it's curious. So time will tell whether Rivers over Newton or someone else was a good decision.

The franchise LT comment is a non-issue and I think an exaggeration. Castonzo is not “about to retire” Yes, he talked about retirement briefly before he signed a two-year contract this offseason. So he's under contract for this year and next, and maybe he'll retire after that, but maybe he won't. He'll still only be 33 at that time, so it's not unreasonable to think he'll have a few more years in him at that time if he chooses to stay. And I'm sure we'll do our best to keep him if he's still productive. Obviously, we'll need to replace him if he does retire, and Ballard & Co. should be incorporating this into their thinking now.
Old 09-16-2020, 11:34 AM
Post whore

Thanked 3,582 Times in 2,004 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaka View Post
So the team loses one disappointing game and now the entire franchise is in a tailspin? Just a week ago the majority of the people here were predicting 10 wins or more. There are lots of reasons to explain why we lost this game, one of which is admittedly that the team isn't as good as everyone thinks. But I'll remind you, it was the first game of the season - even in a normal season, weird things are prone to happen in the first game as teams work out the kinks, and I'd imagine that's only magnified here because of the lack of a traditional preseason, COVID, lack of fan attendance, new players still being integrated into the system, etc. So it's premature to begin writing the obituary yet (and yes, I know that's not exactly what you were doing, but I'm addressing the larger sentiment expressed here).

As far as your criticisms, to begin with I assume your reference to "four years" is a reference to Ballard's tenure. If so, more accurately its really only been three years, as we just had the first game of the fourth year (though there's been four offseasons). Second, I agree with the disappointment that we haven't been able to find a franchise pass rusher so far, though it’s not for a lack of trying as we've used several high picks on pass rush prospects. If these guys don't develop, that's on Ballard, Reich and the rest of the coaches and front office. My understanding is that they've always believed that a franchise DT was critical to their defensive scheme, so Buckner needs to produce in that role and if he doesn't that is again on Ballard, Reich, etc. Given how much we paid for him (both in cash and draft capital), that would be a real blow.

The franchise QB criticism is tired, honestly. What was the team supposed to do when Luck abruptly announced his retirement last year during preseason? Take out any team's franchise QB (Mahomes, Jackson, Rodgers, etc.) and they'll be in the same boat and will probably do the same thing we did – bring in an experienced QB to hold down the fort while they hunt for a long-term solution. I suppose we could have traded up and drafted Jordan Love, but from what I've read he's not doing well so far and is no position to help GB this year. So we went out and got Rivers as a stopgap, and resisted the pressure to negotiate a contract of two years or more, signaling to me at least that the team was unconvinced that he's the answer and we want to keep our options open if he doesn't work out. I suppose you could argue we should have signed someone else, Cam Newton perhaps, and that's a fair point but it didn't seem like there was tons of interest in Newton league-wide for some reason (including his former team). I don't know why but it's curious. So time will tell whether Rivers over Newton or someone else was a good decision.

The franchise LT comment is a non-issue and I think an exaggeration. Castonzo is not “about to retire” Yes, he talked about retirement briefly before he signed a two-year contract this offseason. So he's under contract for this year and next, and maybe he'll retire after that, but maybe he won't. He'll still only be 33 at that time, so it's not unreasonable to think he'll have a few more years in him at that time if he chooses to stay. And I'm sure we'll do our best to keep him if he's still productive. Obviously, we'll need to replace him if he does retire, and Ballard & Co. should be incorporating this into their thinking now.
Sorry to criticize your dad, but I'm still waiting on the amazing talent they have assembled to reveal itself. 1 playoff appearence in four years.
Old 09-16-2020, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chromeburn View Post
Rivers is going to throw interceptions. But we shouldn't be dependant on him to win games
Can we count on him to not lose games?