ColtFreaks.com - Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum   ColtFreaks.com Home Page

Go Back   ColtFreaks.com - Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum > Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum > Indianapolis Colts Discussion

Old 09-04-2018, 08:32 PM
Administrator

Thanked 1,965 Times in 1,038 Posts
Default Good Article on why Pat McAfee Quit

Pat McAfee isn't a stranger to this feeling.

The former Indianapolis Colts punter decided last week to end his partnership with Barstool, saying, "I began being disrespected by the business people in the building. I've decided I don't want to make money for those folks anymore."

On his podcast Monday morning, McAfee recalled feeling the exact same sentiment a few years ago, sitting in former Colts GM Ryan Grigson's office.

On the Monday after the Colts' game on Thanksgiving in 2016 — the Colts "got blown the (expletive) out on national TV. It was the biggest turkey bowl of the day," McAfee said — Grigson asked McAfee meet him in his office.

"Maybe this is an olive branch," McAfee remembered thinking. "If it wasn’t for me, we’re shut out on national TV. I’m leading the league in almost everything, I don’t think I’ve given up a return yard in maybe two months, three months, I’m the No. 2 jersey seller for the Colts, I’m doing a lot of charity work. Maybe this is Grigson being, ‘You know, I fined you three to four times before about dumb (expletive), but I would like to be friends.'"

And then, the moment that effectively ended McAfee's NFL career:

"He goes, ‘Sit down.’ And I’m like, ‘Woah.’ Immediately. ... There was already in my head an idea of me being sick of making money for Ryan Grigson and the Colts operation at the time. It was at that moment that I realized, ‘I’m (expletive) done here.’"

The issue at hand? A picture McAfee had posted on social media the week before.

"He has the picture on a piece of paper, slams it on the desk, pushes it across the desk to me and I look at it," McAfee said of Grigson. "At this moment in my head, I’ve already said ‘(expletive) it’ to this guy. I look at the photo and look up at him. It’s like a moment of silence."

The issue, according to Grigson, was that the picture was taken in a "football room."

"He pulls out my contract, opens it up, goes to a clause. ‘Since this isn’t your first offense, I can fine you a game check for this,’" McAfee recalled Grigson saying. "You only get 17 game checks in your entire salary, so if you want to look up what that was, it was $100,000 almost. I said, ‘For what?’ He said, ‘Is that a football room?’ I said, ‘Well the title is an equipment room. There’s footballs in there I guess.’ He goes, ‘Why do you have to be such a smartass? I can fine you anything I want. This is why we’re losing.’ This is why we lost to the Steelers, he tells me."

Then McAfee went all in.

"I said, ‘You paid a guy $140 million and you can’t keep him healthy," McAfee said. "Your offensive line is swiss cheese. He’s blown out his shoulder three times, and you’re worried about this (expletive)?’ He goes, ‘What did you just say to me?’ I go, ‘Oh yeah, I’m the best in the game at what I do. I wish you would do the same.” This is a moment he did not expect. He goes, ‘You’re going to walk into my office and disrespect me?’ I go, ‘You called me in here.’ He said, ‘I’m going to fine you a whole game check.’ I said, ‘Cool bro,’ and literally walked out of his office. As I walk out, he gives me the, ‘Get out of my office.’ I go, ‘Already walking out.’"

Then McAfee walked down to coach Chuck Pagano's office.

"I go, ‘Hey, if you had anything to do with that, you can go (expletive) yourself too, just like I told Grigson," McAfee said. "He goes, ‘What are you talking about?’ Chuck had no idea."

Pagano called McAfee later, but his decision had already been made.

"I told Chuck on that phone call, ‘I just don’t feel like you guys appreciate or are grateful for what I’m doing,’" McAfee said. "In the locker room, I feel like I was pretty valuable. Anything at work, I busted my (expletive) off because I wanted to talk. As a punter, you have to be good to talk. You can’t just suck and talk. That was the conversation. I told him, ‘I don’t think the NFL is for me anymore, and to be honest, I don’t think I want to make money for you guys anymore. And I am done after this season.’”

Nearly two years later, McAfee felt the same thing, in a completely new venture.

"This type of feeling, it's going to be the death of me. Because (Barstool Sports founder Dave Portnoy) wanted me to come back ... and I just couldn't sleep. Dave was very nice, but by that point I was already like, 'Man, I don't want to make money for the business people.' Just like when he said, 'Sit down' in the chair to me, I don't want to (expletive) make money for this guy anymore. It'll be the death of me, it honestly will be, but at least I sleep good at night."

https://www.indystar.com/story/sport...on/1192911002/

Colts And Orioles (09-05-2018), Hoopsdoc (09-05-2018), Indiana V2 (09-05-2018), Puck (09-05-2018), sherck (09-06-2018), Spike (09-04-2018)
Old 09-04-2018, 08:47 PM

Grigson was a god damn nightmare. What an idiot
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DrSpaceman For This Useful Post:
Dewey 5 (09-04-2018), sherck (09-06-2018)
Old 09-04-2018, 08:49 PM

Thanked 1,180 Times in 356 Posts

Barstool Sports is a gross, obnoxious outlet. I'm not shedding any tears over this. He shoulda known who he was getting into business with.
Old 09-04-2018, 08:55 PM

Thanked 4,282 Times in 1,750 Posts

Mcafee knows grigson can never fire back. This is more bs from mcafee. Very unprofessional. Not saying it isn’t true but to me he looks like ass here.
Old 09-04-2018, 09:02 PM

Kinda arrogant of a punter to think the GM would give a shit about being his friend or trying to smooth over past fines. McAfee thought he was a rung below Luck or something. Grigson didn't help things by escalating it, but jeezus how much of a mark for himself is Patty Mac? Then he's goes H.A.M. on Pagano thinking the whole thing was a giant double-team conspiracy?

Last edited by Colt Classic; 09-04-2018 at 09:06 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Colt Classic For This Useful Post:
omahacolt (09-04-2018)
Old 09-04-2018, 09:13 PM

Thanked 4,373 Times in 2,519 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colt Classic View Post
Kinda arrogant of a punter to think the GM would give a shit about being his friend or trying to smooth over past fines. McAfee thought he was a rung below Luck or something. Grigson didn't help things by escalating it, but jeezus how much of a mark for himself is Patty Mac? Then he's goes H.A.M. on Pagano thinking the whole thing was a giant double-team conspiracy?
Grigson is an ass, but why do Colts kickers think they are the shit? First, Vandershank and then the Antivirus. SMH
Old 09-04-2018, 09:15 PM

Thanked 4,282 Times in 1,750 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colt Classic View Post
Mcafee was a really good punter. He retired and we replaced him like it was nothing.

The dude was always too big for his britches. Not sure why the fans liked him so much.
The Following User Says Thank You to omahacolt For This Useful Post:
Racehorse (09-04-2018)
Old 09-04-2018, 09:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by omahacolt View Post
Mcafee was a really good punter. He retired and we replaced him like it was nothing.

The dude was always too big for his britches. Not sure why the fans liked him so much.
People liked his "Bro" attitude. Seemed like a "life of the party" kind of guy. I liked the fact that he was cool with putting a hit on a kick returner. I stopped missing the guy once Sanchez showed he was no slouch. I wish him good luck in his comedy or whatever his next endeavor will be.
The Following User Says Thank You to Colt Classic For This Useful Post:
sherck (09-06-2018)
Old 09-04-2018, 09:26 PM
Administrator

Thanked 2,852 Times in 1,401 Posts

Quote:

You are correct on not missing a beat by switching punters... Even Pat said the same thing..... He's damn good that scout found a gem.

Fans like him because of his ability and his personality. If you had either you would understand.
Old 09-04-2018, 09:28 PM
Administrator

Thanked 2,852 Times in 1,401 Posts

Quote:
Mcafee knows grigson can never fire back. This is more bs from mcafee. Very unprofessional. Not saying it isn’t true but to me he looks like ass here.
Well that is fine but Grigson disrespected everyone and if it were me I would have fired back too. So he was even more unprofessional IMO

Fuck Grigson and I love that Pat is rubbing salt in his wounds. I wish he would have kicked him in the balls!
JAFF (09-05-2018), sherck (09-06-2018), Spike (09-05-2018)