ColtFreaks.com - Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum   ColtFreaks.com Home Page

Go Back   ColtFreaks.com - Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum > Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum > Indianapolis Colts Discussion
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Old 08-29-2018, 05:47 PM
Post whore

Thanked 2,514 Times in 1,415 Posts
Default Kravitz on Leonard: Star in waiting

https://www.wthr.com/article/kravitz...f-star-waiting

Quote:
Darius Leonard wore orange. Wore it all the time, representing his beloved team from down the road, the Clemson (S.C.) Tigers. He loved everything about the program, from head coach Dabo Swinney to the team's mad dash down the hill before the game. His brother, Anthony, had gone there and played. His cousin had gone there and played. Every weekend, he would make his way to Death Valley and hang out with family and friends – wearing Clemson orange, always

Surely, Leonard would end up with paw-prints on the side of his helmet. Granted, he was a little bit light, weighing just 180-pounds as a high school senior, but his brother was exactly the same way, 180-pounds on the way to 230. The genetics were there. The tape was there. The production was there.

But there was no call from Clemson.

"I just KNEW that was where I was going to land,'' Leonard said. "I knew it, and then it didn't happen. So that's why I have this huge chip on my shoulder, just wanting to prove everybody wrong.''

I asked him, how badly did you want to end up at Clemson?

"As bad as I want to breathe,'' he said.

In sports, it seems, everybody has something to prove to someone – the media, the teams that passed them over, the third-grade teacher who told them they weren't going to amount to much. It's always something, sometimes real and sometimes imagined. Either way, it's emotional fuel, as we learned during all those years with Robert Mathis, another small-school wonder who made it big out of Alabama A&M. When you've spent your formative years being dismissed or ignored, the emotional tank is always full.

Leonard, who ended up at South Carolina State, has fuel to burn.

With him, that fury is real, and it has manifested itself in such a way that it's fair to say, and easy to see, that Leonard has star potential. Keep in mind, he missed the entire offseason training program because of a quadriceps injury, but you'd never have noticed. Since Day One, the second-round pick has been a revelation. First day of training camp, he intercepted Andrew Luck, and he hasn't looked back. If he can stay healthy, he will be the Colts' WILL linebacker for several years to come.

Know who he reminds me of? Antoine Bethea, another draftee from a Historically Black College and University, who showed up to camp and grabbed the starting safety spot almost immediately. Which is funny, because I mentioned Bethea to Leonard, thinking he'd have no idea who I was referencing, and his face lit up.

"He grew up right down the road from me,'' Leonard said. "When my brother was in his football camp, he (Bethea) talked to me when I was younger. I guess we're cousins by a long shot.''

It's an ageless and sometimes annoying trope, this story of an underdog who makes it big, but it truly applies to Leonard. It started in high school, a tiny, Division 1A school, where Leonard told me he graduated with roughly 40 other seniors. "Graduation took like 23 minutes,'' he said.

"Without a doubt, you see it all the time, 1A schools get looked down upon. But to be honest, 1A is where you get your best athletes. At 1A, you don't play just one position. You've got to play five or six positions and never come off the field. And then playing other sports, I used to play baseball for my hand-eye coordination and I played basketball and used that for my movement.

I asked him, what positions did you play?

"Running back, safety, punter…''

I interrupted. Punter? Were you any good?

"I don't remember my average,'' he said with a smile.

Maybe you don't want to remember, I replied.

"No, no, no, I did OK,'' he said. "I've also told them (the Colts) that I was a long snapper, so I'm our third-team snapper.''

Leonard was still dreaming of Clemson when he was told his grades might limit his college options. That may partially explain why Swinney never called, no matter how often Leonard checked his phone his senior year.

"Ninth and 10th grade, I was kind of the class clown,'' he said. "So that's what I tell kids now when I speak to them - `Don't wait until the last minute to get your grades up.' I took my last test to qualify and my scores came back two weeks after signing day, so everybody fell back except South Carolina State. But after I got my scores, I was still waiting for Clemson. But nothing. Nobody called.''

Except South Carolina State, where Leonard dominated his conference, the MEAC, and put himself in a position where he was universally viewed at a top-3-rounds NFL draft choice. One game especially stood out; when in September of 2016, South Carolina State was sent to the gallows to play Clemson. They lost 59-0, as you'd expect, but Leonard made 19 tackles and blocked a field goal.

"I wanted to show them what they could have had,'' Leonard said. "It was great for exposure. I knew I had to put my best foot forward. I played angry. Some games, I still have to prove a point.''

He's still proving it, and there's no sense Leonard will get fat and happy with early success. There's a reason why head coach Frank Reich stuck him at WILL linebacker the first day and why he has never looked back with regret.

"Instinctive, speed, long – you know, I mean looong,'' Reich said. "That position is a key position in this scheme, to be able to run and hit, to play both the run and the pass. He just shows that combination of instincts, speed and play-making ability. I mean, he is hard to throw the ball over. He has made some really nice plays in preseason and camp and practices.''

Remember, he's done all of this after missing the entire off-season training program. But as Leonard has shown, you can stay engaged and can improve even if you're not in a helmet and shells. Leonard became a student of defensive coordinator Matt Eberflus' defense.

"It's a credit to him and a credit to his coaches, just him buying in and listening,'' Reich said. "It just goes to show you that even when you are missing practices, if you can dial it and pay attention to the details…you can still get better.''

Leonard conceded, there are times when the speed of the game can feel overwhelming, but with every preseason game – and the Colts finish off their preseason Thursday night in Cincinnati – it has gradually slowed down.
I love this guy. Robert Mathis, Gary Brackett, Antione Bethea are the examples of a guy over looked and busting loose in the NFL.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to JAFF For This Useful Post:
apballin (09-03-2018), Colts And Orioles (01-29-2019), Racehorse (08-30-2018), sherck (08-30-2018)
Old 08-29-2018, 07:09 PM

Thanked 1,099 Times in 497 Posts

It'd be great if Leonard became a play maker and earned a second contract. We haven't had a legit playmaker at any LB position for a long time.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to FatDT For This Useful Post:
Oldcolt (11-27-2018), sherck (08-30-2018)
Old 08-29-2018, 07:25 PM
Post whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by FatDT View Post
It'd be great if Leonard became a play maker and earned a second contract. We haven't had a legit playmaker at any LB position for a long time.
Cato June and Gary Brackett
The Following User Says Thank You to JAFF For This Useful Post:
sherck (08-30-2018)
Old 08-29-2018, 07:50 PM

Thanked 1,304 Times in 712 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAFF View Post
Like he said....for a long time
Old 08-29-2018, 08:08 PM
Post whore

Thanked 1,635 Times in 947 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAFF View Post
Thornton was better than both IMO.
The Following User Says Thank You to Dam8610 For This Useful Post:
omahacolt (08-30-2018)
Old 08-29-2018, 08:36 PM

Thanked 2,246 Times in 1,208 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dam8610 View Post
Thornton was better than both IMO.
More solid yes...a playmaker no.
Old 09-03-2018, 02:08 PM
Doom -N- Gloom

Thanked 1,138 Times in 645 Posts

I like this guy, when your nickname is maniac your destined for greatness as a LB. Holder compared him to David for the Bucs
Old 09-03-2018, 04:04 PM
Post whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by JesusChrist View Post
Like he said....for a long time
Time is relative. Ask a Cub fan about how long it was to win a World Series. None of us were born. Ok, A LOT of us were not born.
Old 11-27-2018, 05:31 PM
Historian

Thanked 3,269 Times in 2,017 Posts

o

(vs. DOLPHINS, 11/25)

Colts fans got a big scare on the very first play from scrimmage of Sunday's game against the Dolphins, when Leonard limped off of the field with an injury.

Fortunately, he was right back in there on the very next defensive series for the Colts, and was his typical ferocious self for most of the game.

(Dan Graziano's Take)

Leonard had 10 tackles and a sack this week in the Colts' comeback victory over Miami, giving him six sacks and keeping him atop the league in total tackles. He has been among the front-runners for the Rookie of the Year award since September, and what we said up top about the Colts' offensive line can be said for its surprising defense under first-year coordinator Matt Eberflus.

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/2...s-best-rookies

o

Bert Jones, Johnny Unitas, Earl Morrall ))))))))).lll) Jim Harbaugh, Peyton Manning, Andrew Luck

Last edited by Colts And Orioles; 01-29-2019 at 06:22 PM.
Old 11-27-2018, 07:53 PM

Does anyone know if Kravitz is still working for WTHR? I loved reading his articles about the Colts. He has only had one the lst two weeks, don't see him on TV Calabro out at the Colts complex doing live broadcast on sports. I didn't always agree with him, but still miss the crazy fucker. Anybody know what happened? Come throw this guy a bone.