ColtFreaks.com - Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum   ColtFreaks.com Home Page

Go Back   ColtFreaks.com - Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum > Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum > Indianapolis Colts Discussion
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Old 12-06-2022, 01:03 PM

Thanked 1,994 Times in 1,136 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcubed View Post
Yep. I was discussing with a friend the other day - would you rather have a decade of sustained success like the peyton years, but only 1 championship OR a period of ups and downs like the eli years where NYGs won a couple but had some shit years in between?
Shitty to say, but I am old. Now, give me instant gratification. I would not have looked at it that way 10 years ago. Things change, Ballard stays the same.
Old 12-06-2022, 01:14 PM
"Still at Work"

Thanked 3,036 Times in 1,865 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChoppedWood View Post
Shitty to say, but I am old. Now, give me instant gratification. I would not have looked at it that way 10 years ago. Things change, Ballard stays the same.
Two SB wins is better than one. I'm 47 now and hoping that the Colts will be challenging for a championship again at some point in my remaining lifetime.
ChoppedWood (12-06-2022), CletusPyle (12-06-2022)
Old 12-06-2022, 01:18 PM
"Still at Work"

Question

I WON'T be glad to see Ballard gone. I really, really wanted it to work out, but it just feels...over...now. We're adrift as a football club. Dangerous times here.
Mr. Session (12-06-2022), Racehorse (12-06-2022)
Old 12-06-2022, 01:23 PM
"Still at Work"

I must be fat-fingering my phone and accidentally hitting emoji buttons. A question mark this time. Ffs. I'm posting too much because I'm worried I guess. Time to leave for a while. Smh
Old 12-06-2022, 01:55 PM
Historian

Thanked 3,269 Times in 2,017 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChoppedWood View Post

Good post.

It wasn't that long ago, in that window between Harbaugh and Peyton that there was growing sentiment that the Colts could move out to LA- and the noise was getting pretty loud for a bit and of course Peyton shut that shit down basically 3 games into his rookie season and you could see what was coming.

Jim is going to have to massively change things up to keep the fan interest. Gonna have to ditch this Ballard mantra of winning the cap space off season trophy as some sort of great achievement. We are going to have to go very young and try to fill in with some high profile vets that will draw local's attention.

I for one, will be glad to see Ballard gone. Dynasties are cool, they are also in many respects, incredible luck and lack of injuries at the QB position. Today's NFL is a short term play for glory, tear it down, repeat the process. He wants to plan this 20 year model of excellence, it's virtually impossible in today's salary cap world where your super stars rapidly consume too much of the cap to maintain an exceptional overall talent level on your team.

o

The Colts went directly from Harbaugh in 1997 to Manning in 1998.

o

Bert Jones, Johnny Unitas, Earl Morrall ))))))))).lll) Jim Harbaugh, Peyton Manning, Andrew Luck
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Colts And Orioles For This Useful Post:
apballin (12-06-2022), ChoppedWood (12-06-2022), CletusPyle (12-06-2022), Lov2fish (12-06-2022), TheMugwump (12-08-2022)
Old 12-06-2022, 02:02 PM

Thanked 1,994 Times in 1,136 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colts And Orioles View Post
o

The Colts went directly from Harbaugh in 1997 to Manning in 1998.

o
Sorry, probably should have clarified the Harbaugh year where we damn near went to the bowl, to the collapse that was the 3-13 season and talk of expansion and us potentially moving. We battled to make the playoffs the year after Aaron Bailey and then we fell off a cliff and there was talk of no longer being here, then Peyton shut all that talk down near instantly in his rookie year despite the crappy record.
Old 12-06-2022, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CletusPyle View Post

I'm just saying that with cities like San Diego, San Antonio, Portland, Austin, and even Columbus OH if this team is in the cellar of the AFC South for the next 5 years....they might be in trouble! The NFL also wants some teams in Europe at some point....you can only have so many franchises or the talent gets too thin!
You can rule out San Diego. Qualcomm Stadium where the Chargers played has been torn down. The new stadium where San Diego State plays only seats 35K and is a basic no frills venue. After 42 seasons as an SDSU season ticket holder I'm non-renewing next year. It is not close to being an NFL caliber venue. Petco Park, where the Padres play, is not an option and there are no other stadiums in San Diego County.
Old 12-06-2022, 03:00 PM

Thanked 2,634 Times in 1,552 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by PowayColt View Post
You can rule out San Diego. Qualcomm Stadium where the Chargers played has been torn down. The new stadium where San Diego State plays only seats 35K and is a basic no frills venue. After 42 seasons as an SDSU season ticket holder I'm non-renewing next year. It is not close to being an NFL caliber venue. Petco Park, where the Padres play, is not an option and there are no other stadiums in San Diego County.
I'm not saying they will move tomorrow, stadiums can be built, but San Diego and even San Jose are huge markets and I can't see the NFL expanding to more teams, talent is already watered down...I see unsuccessful teams being moved, and Indianapolis would be one of the first if they could find the right excuse. Not say it is going to happen, hoping and praying it doesn't happen...but some markets are so big or so well established that they can weather a decade of bad football, I don't think Indy can!

Houston is huge, they will be fine and you know they are going to get back, Jacksonville is young and has talent, I can see them getting better, maybe even very good! Titans have a much better organization right now than the Colts and the NFL loves that market....Indy could find themselves in the cellar of that division if they don't find some answers soon!
Old 12-06-2022, 03:07 PM
Historian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PowayColt View Post

o

The now-retired Steve Fisher ignited that previously-moribund basketball program, also.

o

Bert Jones, Johnny Unitas, Earl Morrall ))))))))).lll) Jim Harbaugh, Peyton Manning, Andrew Luck
Old 12-06-2022, 03:10 PM
Historian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kray007 View Post

It was as if you’re walking through a valley, minding your own business, when you get hit in the top of the head with a pebble. You think nothing of it and keep on going, only to be hit by another. Then, when you look up and to your left, you see that the entire mountainside is sliding towards you.

o

You just described the transformation of the Colt's offensive line from one of the best in the NFL for 2 consecutive years in 2020 and 2021 to one of the worst in the NFL in 2022.

o