ColtFreaks.com - Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum   ColtFreaks.com Home Page

Go Back   ColtFreaks.com - Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum > Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum > Indianapolis Colts Discussion

Old 11-30-2022, 06:03 PM

Thanked 4,371 Times in 2,518 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rm1369 View Post
It amazes me that people believe Reich suddenly forgot how to design / run an offense. Before this season Reich was either a HC or OC for 8 seasons. In 4 of them (50%) his teams were top 9 or better in pts scored. Yet you all believe the issue with the Colts offense is that it was Franks and not the cluster fuck of an OL coupled with a geriatric QB. Claim he had lost the team. Claim he couldn’t motivate them (although that’s a hell of an indictment on Ballard’s supposed culture focus). But claiming the offensive issues lie in the design instead of the OL and QB is fucking retarded.

And I’ll point out after the Raiders game the narrative was Saturday simplified the offense. It was discussed as how much smarter Saturday was than Reich. Now I’m seeing that’s not the case. It’s all back to being Reich - especially as the team is being called out for how simplistic its offense is.
man, you totally missed my point. I was calling out Doyel for thinking we could install a whole new offense in-season. Teams just don't do that.
Chromeburn (11-30-2022), CletusPyle (11-30-2022), YDFL Commish (11-30-2022)
Old 11-30-2022, 07:11 PM

Thanked 2,617 Times in 1,543 Posts

It is sad to see what this franchise has become. If we had to do it all over again, perhaps we should have kept Peyton, traded the Luck pick for a treasure chest and drafted Ryan Tannehill to play behind Peyton for a few years like Aaron Rodgers did behind Favre. This team would be in much better shape right now!

I know to some of you this is blasphemy, but Luck totally fucked this franchise, I wish we had never drafted him!
njcoltfan (12-01-2022)
Old 11-30-2022, 07:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CletusPyle View Post
It is sad to see what this franchise has become. If we had to do it all over again, perhaps we should have kept Peyton, traded the Luck pick for a treasure chest and drafted Ryan Tannehill to play behind Peyton for a few years like Aaron Rodgers did behind Favre. This team would be in much better shape right now!

I know to some of you this is blasphemy, but Luck totally fucked this franchise, I wish we had never drafted him!
It was the right call at the time. Luck was a phenomenal quarterback, but his body was beaten into submission, and he was not willing to put himself at greater risk. i don't blame him, even though we want our modern gladiators to fight to the death.
Chromeburn (11-30-2022), rcubed (11-30-2022)
Old 11-30-2022, 07:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racehorse View Post
It was the right call at the time. Luck was a phenomenal quarterback, but his body was beaten into submission, and he was not willing to put himself at greater risk. i don't blame him, even though we want our modern gladiators to fight to the death.
Doesn't change the fact he fucked our franchise.....I expected plenty of pushback, no worries!
njcoltfan (12-01-2022)
Old 11-30-2022, 08:31 PM

Quote:
Doesn't change the fact he fucked our franchise.....I expected plenty of pushback, no worries!
I was addressing the idea of looking back and wishing for something different. Had anyone known the future, we would have traded the picks. But not knowing the future, it was the right call at the time.
CletusPyle (11-30-2022)
Old 11-30-2022, 08:33 PM
Post whore

Thanked 2,514 Times in 1,415 Posts

Quote:

This franchise failed to protect him and failed to teach him to protect himself.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JAFF For This Useful Post:
CletusPyle (11-30-2022), Racehorse (11-30-2022)
Old 11-30-2022, 08:51 PM

Quote:
I was addressing the idea of looking back and wishing for something different. Had anyone known the future, we would have traded the picks. But not knowing the future, it was the right call at the time.
It's hard to argue with their decision at the time, but it isn't like there weren't a lot of people that thought we should keep Peyton. I suppose those people could argue it was not the right decision, since it is very likely the Colts win at least one more Super Bowl. I have to be honest, I was in favor of drafting Luck myself, but the franchise has not recovered since he quit right before the season! Maybe if he had quit at the end of the 2018 season it would not have done as much damage?
Old 11-30-2022, 09:04 PM

Quote:
It's hard to argue with their decision at the time, but it isn't like there weren't a lot of people that thought we should keep Peyton. I suppose those people could argue it was not the right decision, since it is very likely the Colts win at least one more Super Bowl. I have to be honest, I was in favor of drafting Luck myself, but the franchise has not recovered since he quit right before the season! Maybe if he had quit at the end of the 2018 season it would not have done as much damage?
I don't recall anyone thinking we could win another SB with Peyton. Especially with all of the question marks concerning his neck. Plus our team was starting to age, and the wheels fell off under Grigson. Maybe if Polian had not let his idiot son take over the direction of the team, but he did.
Old 11-30-2022, 09:04 PM

Thanked 2,219 Times in 1,196 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rm1369 View Post
I don’t think roll outs would be effective with Ryan - which is why I don’t think we’ve seen Saturday and new OC use them either. He’s not mobile, doesn’t present any additional threat to the D by being on the perimeter, it cuts down the available throwing options, and, most importantly, Ryan doesn’t seem to throw well on the move. Where I could argue it may have made sense was with Ehlinger. But with the shuffling at QB, Ehlinger’s inexperience, all the shuffling at OL, the young WRs and TEs, and the OL struggles I’m not sure how realistic it would have been to revamp the offense to heavily utilize roll outs in a week or two. The offense wouldn’t have been designed around them, for good reason - this should have been a run and PA pass heavy offense based on expectations.
Probably not many realize that Ryan is our 3rd leading rusher on the team and that Parris Campbell has had exactly 2 rushes on the year.

To be clear, I'm not advocating Ryan running the ball more. I'm just totally confused by those two statistics?
Old 11-30-2022, 09:25 PM

Quote:
I don't recall anyone thinking we could win another SB with Peyton. Especially with all of the question marks concerning his neck. Plus our team was starting to age, and the wheels fell off under Grigson. Maybe if Polian had not let his idiot son take over the direction of the team, but he did.
I was on another forum at the time and there were several people arguing to keep Peyton, and the feeling was if he was able to come back healthy he could get another Super Bowl, I remember them arguing that if he doesn't come back healthy at least he finishes his career as a Colt! Taking Luck was a logical decision, but it was not the only choice they had and because of the way it turned out, I wish they had kept Peyton!

I will just add that at this point it is probably time to stop blaming Luck...it's been 4 years and a well run franchise would have recovered from such a serious blow by now....but we haven't!

Last edited by CletusPyle; 11-30-2022 at 09:28 PM.