ColtFreaks.com - Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum   ColtFreaks.com Home Page

Go Back   ColtFreaks.com - Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum > Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum > Indianapolis Colts Discussion
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Old 11-29-2022, 09:21 AM
Post whore

Thanked 2,514 Times in 1,415 Posts
Default Doyel: Reality is setting in on the Colts'

CAUTION: scrolling may be required.

http://https://www.indystar.com/stor...l/69644493007/

INDIANAPOLIS – The Indianapolis Colts played the Steelers in throwback jerseys that looked the same as ever. Not sure how that’s possible, because the design they wore Monday night was 66 years old. Same old look, blue with white stripes. Simple, like a 12-year-old designed it.

Sound familiar?

The Colts played the Steelers on Monday night with a throwback coach, Jeff Saturday, a member of the Colts’ Ring of Honor, and looked the same as ever. Not sure how that’s possible, with changes at coach and offensive coordinator, but the Colts’ 24-17 loss to Pittsburgh was their second in three games under Saturday. And it’s the same old look, starting slow and screwing up late and all the time running an offense that looks painfully simple.

Like a 12-year-old designed it.

This isn’t the NFL franchise we want around here, but it’s the one we’re stuck with for six more games. The hiring of Saturday was bold and refreshing, but so is a stick of peppermint chewing gum. Eventually the flavor wears off, as does the good feeling from that win against Las Vegas in Saturday’s debut, and reality sets in:

This team stinks.

At least you can throw the chewing gum away.

Felt like a Steelers home game

First offensive play for the Colts, and Matt Ryan throws a pass that should’ve been intercepted. It was a short pass, no farther than you to that wall, but a Steelers defensive back got his hands on it and batted it into the air, where a Steelers linebacker failed to grab the ricochet.

Second down. Ryan throws a pass that was intercepted. Another short pass, like maybe his arm is sore and it’s all he can throw, and the Steelers picked it off.

ADVERTISING

Meanwhile, the Colts defense isn’t stopping the Steelers offense, even if Pittsburgh’s quarterback is Kenny Pickett. He might be good someday, an actual adult quarterback in the NFL, but right now Pickett is a child still learning, and the Colts couldn’t teach him a damn thing.

Look up at the scoreboard, and the Colts are trailing 16-3 in the second quarter, and it’s like nothing has changed. One of the biggest reasons Colts owner Jim Irsay fired coach Frank Reich was because the team had become listless, uninspired, especially to start games. The Colts had started games slowly for years when Chuck Pagano was the coach here, too. Reporters asked him about it so many times that, honestly, we stopped listening to his answers. Something about chopping wood or being where your feet are or whatever.

Anyway, it’s happening again. They’re losing 16-3 to the 3-7 Pittsburgh Steelers, and the crowd is giving the Colts the business. The atmosphere for the first half was as ugly as I can remember around here, a combination of bad and boring, and I’ve seen three head coaches and about 12 quarterbacks. I’ve seen ugly. Hell, I saw Scott Tolzien. Nobody show him this story, OK?

But the first half at Lucas Oil Stadium was dreadful, and if you were there, you know what I mean. If not, picture a sea of yellow. Those were Steelers fans, waving their stupid little yellow towels, and while those towels just gave the appearance of a huge Pittsburgh contingent – I’d say the crowd was 80% blue and 20% yellow – this sounded for most of the first half like a Pittsburgh home game.

First, every time tight end Pat Freiermuth caught a pass, the crowd was giving it to him: Muuuuuuuuuth! When the Colts had the ball, the crowd was trying to get in their head by chanting: De-FENSE, De-DENSE! Again, this felt like a Steelers home game.

The only time you knew for sure you were in Indianapolis was when the offense kept screwing up, and the home crowd let them have it. At halftime, after the Colts had started at their own 41 and daringly played their way into a 59-yard field attempt on the final play – the kick was blocked – the crowd booed the Colts off the field.

Yup. We’re in Indianapolis.

Colts need new QB, and losing helps

Then, the second half.

“Same players,” Saturday was telling me later, “same plays.”

The difference?

“Execution,” he said.

Sure, that’s one explanation. Here's another: The Steelers lost interest, like a cat who gets bored with a dead mouse. Seriously, that first half was so bad, so deflating, the Steelers looked drowsy to start the third quarter. Maybe that’s the Colts’ strategy, going forward: Bore ‘em to death!

ADVERTISING

Dallis Flowers returned the opening kickoff 89 yards to set up a Jonathan Taylor touchdown, and the Colts scored another touchdown after a fumble at the Pittsburgh 1, followed by a short Pittsburgh punt, gave Indianapolis good field position again. Next thing you know, the Colts are winning 17-16, and things are looking really bad.

Because how are the Colts going to find their next quarterback in the 2023 NFL Draft if they keep beating the lousy teams who will be picking ahead of them? They’ve beaten Denver, Las Vegas and Jacksonville. Add Pittsburgh to that group, and the Colts are looking at a pick outside the top 10. Can’t find a QB there.

False alarm. The Colts defense turned Kenny Pickett into Kenny Stabler, allowing the Steelers to drive 75 yards for the go-ahead touchdown, even with star running back Najee Harris (abdominal) out of the game. A personal foul on Colts linebacker E.J. Speed, who karate-chopped Pickett in the neck area, didn’t help.

The Colts offense had a chance, though. After a slow start that extended well into the second quarter – at one point Pittsburgh had 164 yards and 11 first downs, compared to 6 yards and zero first downs for the Colts – Matt Ryan and Co. woke up in the third quarter.

Everything changed, and execution doesn’t explain it all. Saturday and Ryan said, separately, that the Steelers’ defense was giving them confusing looks early. Probably easy to confuse the Colts’ rookie play-caller, Parks Frazier. Little more than an intern a few years ago, now he's replacing offensive coordinator Marcus Brady and matching wits with Mike Tomlin? Not fair.

You ask me, Ryan made the adjustments at halftime that Frazier and his quarterbacks coach, Scott Milanovich, couldn’t see in real time. I asked Ryan about that, afterward – how much of the offense’s halftime adjustments were a you thing? – and he wouldn’t touch it. He said it was a team effort.

Sure, maybe it was. Maybe this team just isn’t very good. At 4-7-1, the Colts trail the Tennessee Titans (7-4) by more than three games.

To reach the playoffs, the Colts have to win their final five games while the Titans are going 2-4. Or the Colts could lose once, and finish the season on a 4-1 spurt, while the Titans are stumbling to a 1-5 finish. Not happening, obviously. This season is over. All that’s left are the dirge’s final notes.

We’ll always have those first few days of the Jeff Saturday Era, and the fantasy was fun while it lasted, but now we’re stuck with reality. And the reality is, the Colts are playing 2022 NFL opponents with an offense that resembles their jerseys Monday night: Straight out of 1956.
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to JAFF For This Useful Post:
apballin (12-02-2022), Brylok (11-29-2022), CletusPyle (11-29-2022), Dewey 5 (11-29-2022), Indystu2 (11-29-2022), rcubed (11-29-2022), smitty46953 (11-29-2022), YDFL Commish (11-29-2022)
Old 11-29-2022, 07:08 PM

Thanked 4,373 Times in 2,519 Posts

Doyel loves to spew venom. He is right about a few things, but ignores a couple of obvious facts.

First, there is not as much yellow if Colts fans don't sell to opposing fans.

Second, the offense was designed by frank, and it cannot change as quickly as he suggests. We are stuck with Frank's scheme, but have a better motivator as HC now.
Chromeburn (11-30-2022), CletusPyle (11-29-2022), JAFF (11-29-2022), Oldcolt (11-29-2022), Spike (11-29-2022), YDFL Commish (11-29-2022)
Old 11-29-2022, 09:00 PM

Thanked 2,223 Times in 1,198 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racehorse View Post
Doyel loves to spew venom. He is right about a few things, but ignores a couple of obvious facts.

Second, the offense was designed by frank, and it cannot change as quickly as he suggests. We are stuck with Frank's scheme, but have a better motivator as HC now.
Great post and I echo your sentiments entirely.
The Following User Says Thank You to YDFL Commish For This Useful Post:
Racehorse (11-29-2022)
Old 11-30-2022, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racehorse View Post

It amazes me that people believe Reich suddenly forgot how to design / run an offense. Before this season Reich was either a HC or OC for 8 seasons. In 4 of them (50%) his teams were top 9 or better in pts scored. Yet you all believe the issue with the Colts offense is that it was Franks and not the cluster fuck of an OL coupled with a geriatric QB. Claim he had lost the team. Claim he couldn’t motivate them (although that’s a hell of an indictment on Ballard’s supposed culture focus). But claiming the offensive issues lie in the design instead of the OL and QB is fucking retarded.

And I’ll point out after the Raiders game the narrative was Saturday simplified the offense. It was discussed as how much smarter Saturday was than Reich. Now I’m seeing that’s not the case. It’s all back to being Reich - especially as the team is being called out for how simplistic its offense is.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to rm1369 For This Useful Post:
apballin (12-02-2022), Colts And Orioles (11-30-2022)
Old 11-30-2022, 12:10 PM
Historian

Thanked 3,266 Times in 2,014 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rm1369 View Post

It amazes me that people believe Reich suddenly forgot how to design / run an offense. Before this season Reich was either a HC or OC for 8 seasons. In 4 of them (50%) his teams were top 9 or better in pts scored. Yet you all believe the issue with the Colts offense is that it was Franks and not the cluster fuck of an OL coupled with a geriatric QB. Claim he had lost the team. Claim he couldn’t motivate them (although that’s a hell of an indictment on Ballard’s supposed culture focus). But claiming the offensive issues lie in the design instead of the OL and QB is fucking retarded.

And I’ll point out after the Raiders game the narrative was Saturday simplified the offense. It was discussed as how much smarter Saturday was than Reich. Now I’m seeing that’s not the case. It’s all back to being Reich - especially as the team is being called out for how simplistic its offense is.

o

I agree that if you have an offensive line that allows the defensive front to be in the quarterback's face less than 2 seconds after the ball is snapped, the play-calling doesn't really matter much ...... and professing that because an offense that has the worst offensive line in the NFL therefore needs to have more QB roll-outs called is somewhat tantamount to saying that one ought to wear gloves when one works in a septic tank, so that they don't get as much shit on their hands than if they worked bare-handed.

And I'm not saying that calling more roll-outs with a horrible offensive line would not have been somewhat helpful, but it would have been like improving a C offense to a C+ offense, it wouldn't have improved a C offense to a B+ or an A- offense.

o

Bert Jones, Johnny Unitas, Earl Morrall ))))))))).lll) Jim Harbaugh, Peyton Manning, Andrew Luck

Last edited by Colts And Orioles; 11-30-2022 at 03:31 PM.
Old 11-30-2022, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colts And Orioles View Post
o

I agree that if you have an offensive line that allows the defensive front to be in the quarterback's face less than 2 seconds after the ball is snapped, the play-calling doesn't really matter much ...... and professing that because an offense that has the worst offensive line in the NFL therefore needs to have more QB roll-outs called is somewhat tantamount to saying that one ought to wear gloves when one works in a septic tank, so that they don't get as much shit on their hands than if they worked bare-handed.

And I'm not saying that calling more roll-outs with a horrible offensive line would have been somewhat helpful, but it would have been like improving a C offense to a C+ offense, it wouldn't have improved a C offense to a B+ or an A- offense.

o
I don’t think roll outs would be effective with Ryan - which is why I don’t think we’ve seen Saturday and new OC use them either. He’s not mobile, doesn’t present any additional threat to the D by being on the perimeter, it cuts down the available throwing options, and, most importantly, Ryan doesn’t seem to throw well on the move. Where I could argue it may have made sense was with Ehlinger. But with the shuffling at QB, Ehlinger’s inexperience, all the shuffling at OL, the young WRs and TEs, and the OL struggles I’m not sure how realistic it would have been to revamp the offense to heavily utilize roll outs in a week or two. The offense wouldn’t have been designed around them, for good reason - this should have been a run and PA pass heavy offense based on expectations.
The Following User Says Thank You to rm1369 For This Useful Post:
Colts And Orioles (11-30-2022)
Old 11-30-2022, 04:15 PM

Thanked 1,655 Times in 794 Posts

Quote:

I know jack shit about NFL level offensive schemes, but I wonder if defenses haven't figured out the Pederson/Reich/McVay schemes. These were all the rage these past 6-7 years, but all have gone down the toilet recently. Some of its injury (philly/rams) but some just seems to be a general ineffectiveness.
The Following User Says Thank You to HoosierinFL For This Useful Post:
Racehorse (11-30-2022)
Old 11-30-2022, 04:36 PM

Thanked 1,476 Times in 814 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoosierinFL View Post
I know jack shit about NFL level offensive schemes, but I wonder if defenses haven't figured out the Pederson/Reich/McVay schemes. These were all the rage these past 6-7 years, but all have gone down the toilet recently. Some of its injury (philly/rams) but some just seems to be a general ineffectiveness.
interesting take. could be.
Old 11-30-2022, 04:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoosierinFL View Post
NFL is a copycat league. Once someone figures out how to stop an offense the rest tag along. Very, very plausible scenario. It is the one thing I loved about Tom Moore. He would constantly add wrinkles to our offense, and present same plays with completely different looks. He was a true offensive genius. Of course I may be a little bias.
apballin (12-02-2022), Racehorse (11-30-2022)
Old 11-30-2022, 05:00 PM

Quote:

I wasn’t calling for Frank’s head, though the OL issues regarding Kelly, Nelson and Smith seemed to me most likely to be a coaching issue based upon the fact that these guys have shown themselves capable of playing at a very high level in the past. The decisions regarding Pryor and Pinter are mostly on Ballard (though I don’t doubt that Reich had some input/say on this too).

That said, once again I’ll point out an inconsistency for those who think Frank didn’t deserve to be fired, and Saturday didn’t deserve to be hired. You can't have both. The Colts are playing at least as well as they were under Frank. This suggests one of two things, either (1) Frank was coaching at a level which was at or below that of a wholly inexperienced, grossly unqualified coach, or (2) Saturday’s inexperience hasn’t harmed the Colts at all, and he’s performing at a level equivalent to an experienced coach.
The Following User Says Thank You to Chaka For This Useful Post:
Racehorse (11-30-2022)