ColtFreaks.com - Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum   ColtFreaks.com Home Page

Go Back   ColtFreaks.com - Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum > Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum > Indianapolis Colts Discussion

Old 11-22-2022, 07:44 AM
Post whore

Thanked 2,514 Times in 1,415 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colts And Orioles View Post
o

With the offensive line that he has had blocking for him this season, it's amazing that Ryan has managed to somehow go 4-4-1 in the 9 games in which he has played up until now ...... an average quarterback would probably be about 2-7 with the blocking that Ryan has had so far this season.

That said, Ryan and company really should have put the Eagles away on Sunday when they had a 1st-and-goal at the Eagles' 5-yardline with less than 5 minutes to play in the game ...... a touchdown at that point would have pretty much sealed the game.

o
The coaching staff needs throw caution out the window. Be a less predictable. If they cant expand their choices, start using a magic 8 ball. If I can predict what they play is coming on 2nd and three, most NFL DC’s know it as well.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to JAFF For This Useful Post:
CletusPyle (11-22-2022), Colts And Orioles (11-22-2022), Racehorse (11-22-2022)
Old 11-22-2022, 09:13 AM

Thanked 2,617 Times in 1,543 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAFF View Post
The coaching staff needs throw caution out the window. Be a less predictable. If they cant expand their choices, start using a magic 8 ball. If I can predict what they play is coming on 2nd and three, most NFL DC’s know it as well.
"Reply hazy, try again" we're fucked! Timeout!

Last edited by CletusPyle; 11-22-2022 at 11:42 PM.
Old 11-29-2022, 10:50 AM
Historian

Thanked 3,266 Times in 2,014 Posts

o

(vs. STEELERS, 11/29)

I missed the 1st half because I was at the gym, but I was told that Ryan was not good ...... but I was also told that his offensive line was marginal, at best.

I watched the 2nd half with my own lying eyes, and while the offensive line wasn't horrible, they were also far from the blocking juggernaut that Carson Wentz had in front of him last year ...... and with that, I saw Ryan stepping up in the pocket several times to avoid sacks and complete passes, I saw him dive head-first over the top of the defensive line when the Colts needed 1 yard on 4th down, and I saw him unexpectedly scramble for 14 yards to keep the Colts alive on a 2nd-and-17 on the Colts' final drive ...... only a relatively new rule that considers a quarterback to be "sliding" even when he goes down head-first prevented him from actually getting the 1st down, because the Steelers did not touch him until he was beyond the sticks.

I also saw Ryan charged with a fumble that was really the fault of Jonathan Taylor ...... in fact, Ryan nearly got that fumble back by diving on the ball after Taylor had dropped it, but it squirmed away from him and into the arms of a Steeler.

o

Bert Jones, Johnny Unitas, Earl Morrall ))))))))).lll) Jim Harbaugh, Peyton Manning, Andrew Luck
The Following User Says Thank You to Colts And Orioles For This Useful Post:
Chromeburn (11-29-2022)
Old 11-29-2022, 11:07 AM

I've no doubt that Ryan is giving 100%, but 100% of over the hill is still over the hill. Even his completions have no zip. I know what the team has in Ryan, what I don't know is what gives with Foles? The season is over, playoff wise, and IMO, Ryan won't be back. Is Foles done? I think we've seen enough of Ehlinger to know that he's a backup, nothing more. If Foles can play, let's have him. If he can't, at least let the fans know why.
CletusPyle (11-29-2022), Racehorse (11-29-2022), Spike (11-29-2022)
Old 11-29-2022, 12:28 PM

Thanked 1,476 Times in 814 Posts

Quote:
o

(vs. STEELERS, 11/29)

I missed the 1st half because I was at the gym, but I was told that Ryan was not good ...... but I was also told that his offensive line was marginal, at best.

I watched the 2nd half with my own lying eyes, and while the offensive line wasn't horrible, they were also far from the blocking juggernaut that Carson Wentz had in front of him last year ...... and with that, I saw Ryan stepping up in the pocket several times to avoid sacks and complete passes, I saw him dive head-first over the top of the defensive line when the Colts needed 1 yard on 4th down, and I saw him unexpectedly scramble for 14 yards to keep the Colts alive on a 2nd-and-17 on the Colts' final drive ...... only a relatively new rule that considers a quarterback to be "sliding" even when he goes down head-first prevented him from actually getting the 1st down, because the Steelers did not touch him until he was beyond the sticks.

I also saw Ryan charged with a fumble that was really the fault of Jonathan Taylor ...... in fact, Ryan nearly got that fumble back by diving on the ball after Taylor had dropped it, but it squirmed away from him and into the arms of a Steeler.

o
I saw a ryan that lead the offense to 0 yards in the first quarter.
I saw a ryan with little to no zip on his throws.
I saw a ryan throwing slightly behind his receivers.
I saw a ryan that should retire and we need to move on.

Last edited by rcubed; 11-29-2022 at 12:52 PM.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to rcubed For This Useful Post:
CletusPyle (11-29-2022), Racehorse (11-29-2022), Spike (11-29-2022)
Old 11-29-2022, 01:00 PM
"Still at Work"

Thanked 3,036 Times in 1,865 Posts

...needs to retire.

Start Sam the rest of the games and Foles as the backup. Why is he even here? I still don't think I've seen Foles in a Colts uniform.

What a shit season. Lord help our Colts.
apballin (11-29-2022), CletusPyle (11-29-2022), Spike (11-29-2022)
Old 11-29-2022, 01:44 PM
Historian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcubed View Post

I saw a Ryan that lead the offense to 0 yards in the first quarter.

I saw a Ryan with little to no zip on his throws.

I saw a Ryan throwing slightly behind his receivers.

I saw a Ryan that should retire and we need to move on.

o

A) ) I said that I didn't see the first half. I'm sure that Ryan was as bad as his numbers say they were, although some of the posters that saw the entire game said that the offensive line was mediocre, at best.

B) ) In the second half, I saw a slightly-passed-his-prime Ryan, ala Philip Rivers in 2020, playing behind an offensive line that was reminiscent of the Andrew Luck era, and Ryan somehow managing not to get himself killed, let alone stand bravely and confidently in the pocket and throw accurate passes. He also may not have completely recovered from the injury to his throwing shoulder that sidelined him for 2 games earlier in the season.

B) ) Moving on from a 37-year-old Matt Ryan is fine, just as moving forward from a 39 year-old Philip Rivers was fine 2 years ago ..... acting as though they (Ryan and Rivers) were our primary problem is inaccurate, just as acting as though if we move on from from Ryan that we necessarily have a better answer/solution is inaccurate. When we moved on from Philip Rivers, we didn't necessarily find a better answer/solution when we acquired Carson Wentz.

o

Bert Jones, Johnny Unitas, Earl Morrall ))))))))).lll) Jim Harbaugh, Peyton Manning, Andrew Luck
Old 11-29-2022, 01:48 PM
Historian

o

It was clearly time to move on from Jacoby Brissett after the 2019 season.

It was clearly time to move on from Carson Wentz after the 2021 season.

I was hoping that we would get one more season out of a solid-but-not-necessarily-spectacular Philip Rivers after the 2020 season, but he decided to retire ...... hence, moving on from him was not a choice, but a necessity.

I have no problem moving on from a 37 year-old Matt Ryan ...... but finding a way to get the offensive line to re-emerge as one of the league's best (as it was in 2021) from one of the league's worst (which it has been for 2022) is much more vital and essential than whether or not Ryan continues to QB the team for the remainder of the season ...... when you have an offensive line that was as dominant as it was last year, a slightly-above-average quarterback could easily lead said team to the post-season, and possibly even be a bona-fide contender to win a conference championship (depending on other parts of the team, such as the defense and the effectiveness of the offensive coordinator.)

o

Old 11-29-2022, 02:31 PM

Thanked 1,476 Times in 814 Posts

Quote:

B) ) Moving on from a 37-year-old Matt Ryan is fine, just as moving forward from a 39 year-old Philip Rivers was fine 2 years ago ..... acting as though they (Ryan and Rivers) were our primary problem is inaccurate, just as acting as though if we move on from from Ryan that we necessarily have a better answer/solution is inaccurate. When we moved on from Philip Rivers, we didn't necessarily find a better answer/solution when we acquired Carson Wentz.

o
Who's acting like ryan is our only problem??
We have issues, line being a major one. But we are on our third old/retread QB. We cant keep going down that road.
Regardless of line, defense, running game, etc. QB play is vital to winning.
Old 11-29-2022, 02:57 PM
Historian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcubed View Post

Who's acting like ryan is our only problem ???

We have issues, line being a major one. But we are on our third old/retread QB. We cant keep going down that road.

Regardless of line, defense, running game, etc. QB play is vital to winning.

o

Point taken about the QB position being vital, and I also agree that we need to move on from Ryan in 2023 and beyond ...... but unlike Philip Rivers in 2020 and Carson Wentz in 2021, Ryan flat-out didn't have a chance with this offensive line. I don't think that there are 5 quarterbacks in the NFL that would have a chance to lead this team to a winning record with way that this offensive line has played. We need to move on from Ryan, but outside of the the super-quick/Houdini-like Patrick Mahomes and maybe one or 2 others, teams just can't win when they have one of the worst (and maybe THE worst) offensive line in the league.

The Colts can and should address both areas (QB and offensive line) in the off-season, but I would say that the offensive line is always of utmost importance considering that most average-to-above average quarterbacks can play well with very good offensive lines, but very few quarterbacks can play well with a horrible offensive line.

o