ColtFreaks.com - Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum   ColtFreaks.com Home Page

Go Back   ColtFreaks.com - Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum > Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum > Indianapolis Colts Discussion
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Old 12-01-2022, 10:07 AM
Post whore

Thanked 2,514 Times in 1,415 Posts
Default Insider: Why Jeff Saturday isn't making any changes to Colts QB depth chart

https://www.indystar.com/story/sport...t/69690614007/

Quote:
. INDIANAPOLIS — This Colts season has been defined by change at two of the three most important positions in the organization.

Head coach. Quarterback.

But interim coach Jeff Saturday does not see a reason to make another change to the quarterback depth chart, even though the Indianapolis offense has reverted to its inefficient, mistake-prone profile in back-to-back losses to Philadelphia and Pittsburgh after Saturday’s decision to put Matt Ryan back in the starting lineup produced a win over Las Vegas in his debut.

“Matt is going to continue to be the guy,” Saturday said after the Monday night game. “We’re going to keep moving forward, keep pressing forward with what we’ve got.”

Saturday initially said the Colts would stick with Sam Ehlinger when he was first hired, only to start Ryan in a surprising move in Las Vegas five days later, a decision the interim coach said was made after seeing Ryan throw for the first time since suffering a separated shoulder against Tennessee.

Ryan turned the ball over twice against the Steelers, the veteran’s first two turnovers since Saturday put him back in the starting lineup, but neither turnover was entirely his fault.

Wide receiver Michael Pittman Jr. admitted after the game that he didn’t run his route correctly on Ryan’s early interception, and running back Jonathan Taylor appeared to be at fault for the Colts’ critical fumble in the red zone in the third quarter, although it was charged to Ryan.k

ADVERTISING

Ryan has completed 70.2% of his passes for 634 yards, two touchdowns and one interception in three starts since returning to the lineup, three starts that have marked by efficiency but a significant lack of explosiveness.

The Colts have just four completions of 20 yards or more in the past two games, and Indianapolis failed to complete a pass until the second quarter of Monday night’s loss to the Steelers. Ryan’s averaging 6.7 yards per attempt in the past three games and 6.8 for the season overall.

Backup Sam Ehlinger fared worse in his two starts, completing 61.5% of his passes for 304 yards, no touchdowns, one interception and an ugly 5.8 yards per attempt.

Indianapolis has another option available.

Veteran Nick Foles, who was brought to the Colts to be a high-caliber backup for a potential playoff team, has played only two snaps this season, but there appears to be no plan to give Foles a chance.

Foles still has a strong arm, he was the quarterback most likely to push the ball down the field in training camp, [B]but Indianapolis admitted last week that the Colts haven’t called a lot of deep shots because of the lack of protection from the offensive line.[/I]

More:'You have to have enough time': Why Colts aren't taking downfield shots in passing game

“I think Nick has done a really good job for us,” Saturday said. “He’s continued to stay really loyal to this football team. I have confidence in both he and Sam. I think they’re both great players and do a really good job of helping Matt. Other than that, that’s just kind of where we are.”

Saturday also said he’s given no thought to making Foles the No. 2 again, which would make the veteran active on game day.

After all of the change at quarterback this season, Saturday wants to stick with the Colts depth chart the way it is, believing it gives Indianapolis the best chance to win.

“When Nick came in as the switch was made between Matt and Sam and all those things, I wasn’t here for any of that,” Saturday said. “Both he and Sam have done a really good job on the scout team, and I’ve appreciated how they’ve both attacked this thing.”
And there is more. Bonus scrolling time.

INDIANAPOLIS — The numbers don’t lie.

https://www.indystar.com/story/sport...s/69674666007/

Quote:
The Colts offense has stopped pushing the ball down the field in the passing game.

Indianapolis completed 22 passes of 20 yards or more in the first six games of the season. The Colts have completed just nine passes of 20 yards or more in the last five.

The chief reason is simple and obvious.

“You have to have enough time,” starting quarterback Matt Ryan said. “To be able to do some of the things you want to do, to push the ball down the field. We just haven’t been consistent enough throughout the year.”

Deep shots take time.

Time for the route to develop, time for the quarterback to take the drop he needs in order to get his mechanics in sync for the throw.

The Indianapolis offensive line has rarely given Ryan that kind of time this season.

The starting quarterback isn’t the only member of the Colts who’s acknowledged the reality of the Indianapolis offense this week.

“From a shots perspective, you’ve got to make sure your protection is in sync,” interim coach Jeff Saturday said.

The Colts’ new play-caller also acknowledged that his hands are tied somewhat.

Parks Frazier could dial up more deep throws down the field, but he has to take the risk into account.

Ryan and backup Sam Ehlinger have been sacked 40 times in 2022, tied with the Chicago Bears for the worst mark in the NFL so far.

“I think it’s a combination of just finding more ways to get the guys the ball in space where they can catch and run,” Frazier said. “And then obviously, when you want to push the ball down the field, you’ve got to think protection first. It’s finding ways to protect, to be able to push the ball down the field in your spots. I do believe in keeping the quarterback from getting hit as much as possible.”

Indianapolis has tried to make up for its lack of time in the pocket by leaning on the first part of Frazier’s answer.

Of the Colts’ four completions of 20 yards or more in the last two games, three have been short to intermediate throws that the receiver turned into a bigger play.

The problem is that good, attacking secondaries like the ones in Philadelphia, New England and Denver close down on those completions quickly, and even a struggling secondary like the Titans adjusted its game plan to take it away.

Tennessee gave up six completions of 20 yards or more in the first matchup between the two teams. Three weeks later, the Titans gave up only one and made two interceptions by attacking the short routes.

All of that leaves the Colts between a rock and a hard place.

Trending now:After she was run over by a car, Westfield's Lauren Bailey ran to college glory

The Indianapolis offensive line hasn’t protected the passer well enough to throw the ball down the field.

But a Colts team averaging 15.7 points per game needs a spark, and the lack of downfield throws is limiting the impact Indianapolis could get from its emerging trio of Michael Pittman Jr., Alec Pierce and Parris Campbell.

Pierce, in particular, loses a lot of opportunities. He’s been the Colts’ most dangerous downfield threat this season, but the fewer downfield shots Ryan takes, the fewer opportunities the rookie has to make an impact.

“We’ve got to find ways to stretch the field vertically, get some chances, create explosive plays,” Ryan said. “It becomes too difficult when every drive, you’re not getting those chunk plays.”

The issue isn’t philosophical.

From Frank Reich before him to Jeff Saturday now, the Colts coaching staff would like to get the ball down the field.
Old 12-01-2022, 11:05 AM
Post whore

Missed this, more on why things are hard to see from the stands.

https://www.indystar.com/story/sport...y/69684583007/

Quote:
INDIANAPOLIS -- Michael Pittman Jr. caught seven passes for 61 yards against the Steelers. He scored a touchdown. He started a potential comeback drive by jumping over the back of a defender through pass interference for a 28-yard gain.

And yet afterward, all the Colts' No. 1 receiver wanted to do was blame himself.

"I played like absolutely dog (expletive) in the first half," he said. "If I play the way I know I can play, we're not even down. I just have to do better."

This is who Pittman Jr. is after games right now: He's introspective, chasing a personal standard that can get cripplingly high. He's the son of an 11-year NFL running back who bears the same name. He writes out All-Pro goals for himself and laminates them on a sheet in his locker.

“Michael just thought he was the best thing on the football field," said his father, Michael Pittman Sr., "and he’ll go out there and he’ll prove it.”

Pittman Jr. wants the team to put it on his back, and he'll be hard on himself when he comes up short.

Michael Pittman Jr. is on pace for a second straight 1,000-yard season with the Indianapolis Colts, but he has only found the end zone twice this year.

Take the interception of Monday night's 24-17 loss to the Steelers. Matt Ryan dropped back, maneuvered around pressure and fired a 5-yard throw in Pittman Jr.'s direction that Steelers cornerback James Pierre undercut for an interception.

"I was supposed to keep on running through," Pittman Jr. said. "I had seen (Ryan's) arm come up, I kind of froze, because you know, you feel like the ball is coming. That's really on me. I have to keep running through. Somebody's man on the back side was chasing through, and if I keep moving, I'm going to catch it. I fell down. Again, my fault."

Pittman Jr. made up for that mistake with a big second half, including the 28-yard jump ball on the final drive, in which he leaped through an interfering Levi Wallace and came down between two defenders.

But even that play felt short of the standard.

"I looked at that one and thought that maybe I could have stayed up," Pittman Jr. said. "That's just a routine play and Matt gave me that chance. Matt threw a great ball and I had to go up and catch it, but I have to stay up next time and try to finish that."

This is who Pittman Jr. has become in practice, film sessions, interviews and games. He internalizes the pressure that can feel scolding to a team that entered the year with playoff hopes and now sits at 4-7-1.

"He sets a standard for himself that is higher than anybody's standard for him," Ryan said. "I don't believe he played like dog (expletive). I think he did some things that really gave us a chance to win that ball game.

"Part of who he is is chasing that improvement and trying to be the absolute best he can be."

Indianapolis Colts wide receiver Michael Pittman Jr. isn't afraid to be self-critical when he and the team don't live up to standard.
Pittman Jr. is not quite having the season he expected for himself this year. Almost no Colts offensive player is. Pittman Jr. came in as the clear No. 1 option in a young receiving corps for Ryan, and he felt ready to add a yards-after-contact element to his downfield game with a quarterback known for his accuracy and fearlessness in throwing across the middle.

Pittman Jr. leads the Colts with 74 catches for 739 yards, and he's on pace for another 1,000-yard season. He has just two touchdowns. He's catching a career-best 71.8% of his passes, but he's averaging a career-worst 10 yards per reception. He's seen the downfield plays disappear in an offense with leaky pass protection that is intentionally throwing short to preserve the 37-year-old Ryan's health and remaining arm strength.

Pittman Jr. has had to deal with constant change around him, from the benching of Ryan for two games to the firings of offensive coordinator Marcus Brady and coach Frank Reich, who was also the play caller. He's admitted he hasn't always dealt well with the frustrations as he chases a bar he has yet to clear. He can get caught expecting immediate results.

It's created a fascinating third-year player for the Colts to mold, with highs and lows that bubble in such a chaotic and challenging year.

"I tell these young guys all the time: You can't always beat yourself up. There's a time and a place to take a deep breath: It's OK, let's get back to work," Ryan said. "So it's trying to help him understand those things as a young player.

"But trust me: I'd rather have a guy that's accountable and takes ownership for his own things than where it's the other way, where you're trying to get more out of him than he wants to give."
Old 12-01-2022, 11:54 AM

Thanked 2,617 Times in 1,543 Posts

This is why I love Pittman as a player....I actually think he is being a little too hard on himself, but it is refreshing to see a player willing to take responsibility and realize that he can get even better!

I still see no reason to play Ryan over Sam, at this point unless you plan to bring Ryan back next season (please say it ain't so) Sam should be getting the starts in my opinion!
Racehorse (12-02-2022)
Old 12-01-2022, 01:21 PM
Post whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by CletusPyle View Post
This is why I love Pittman as a player....I actually think he is being a little too hard on himself, but it is refreshing to see a player willing to take responsibility and realize that he can get even better!

I still see no reason to play Ryan over Sam, at this point unless you plan to bring Ryan back next season (please say it ain't so) Sam should be getting the starts in my opinion!
You play Ryan because he can read coverages and blitz. It’s the O line, and Elhlinger wont stand a chance the way they are playing. He hasnt got the arm to beat the coverage, they will press and dare him to throw deep.
Old 12-01-2022, 05:58 PM

Thanked 2,430 Times in 1,092 Posts

Doesn’t matter who they play. By not playing Ehrlinger they are letting us know what we already knew, he isn’t the answer at starting QB
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Oldcolt For This Useful Post:
CletusPyle (12-01-2022), JAFF (12-01-2022)
Old 12-01-2022, 06:15 PM

Thanked 4,284 Times in 1,751 Posts

MPJ is a very likeable player.

i am very interested in what his future contract looks like
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to omahacolt For This Useful Post:
CletusPyle (12-01-2022), Racehorse (12-02-2022), rm1369 (12-02-2022)
Old 12-01-2022, 06:31 PM

Think he's a lock to come back to Indy? I don't!
Old 12-03-2022, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeSayDayo View Post
Think he's a lock to come back to Indy? I don't!
no i don't

but i think we will try and keep him. wr contracts are getting pretty crazy
Old 12-03-2022, 02:27 PM

Thanked 2,224 Times in 1,199 Posts

Depends on if we get the QB situation figured out long term. MPJ is having a career year in terms of receptions. But we can't seem to utilize a 6-4 225 lb WR for a few 50/50 balls or in the red zone.
Old 12-03-2022, 03:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YDFL Commish View Post
Depends on if we get the QB situation figured out long term. MPJ is having a career year in terms of receptions. But we can't seem to utilize a 6-4 225 lb WR for a few 50/50 balls or in the red zone.
dude. the red zone is where we fumble. that is our go to play there
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to omahacolt For This Useful Post:
Racehorse (12-03-2022), smitty46953 (12-03-2022), YDFL Commish (12-03-2022)