ColtFreaks.com - Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum   ColtFreaks.com Home Page

Go Back   ColtFreaks.com - Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum > Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum > Indianapolis Colts Discussion
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Old 03-17-2017, 11:49 AM

Thanked 4,297 Times in 1,758 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brylok View Post
That's a good idea if the money is right. Won't have to use a draft pick on a WR.
We don't have to use a draft pick on a wr regardless
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to omahacolt For This Useful Post:
Butter (03-17-2017), Racehorse (03-17-2017), VeveJones007 (03-17-2017)
Old 03-17-2017, 11:54 AM

Thanked 1,206 Times in 531 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brylok View Post
That's a good idea if the money is right. Won't have to use a draft pick on a WR.
I like what I see.

Anyone know why he was a full time starter in 2015 and then only became a part time starter in 2016? He has targets in every game in 2016 so he was active and on the field but no longer a starter.

More competition for Dorsett, Rogers and perhaps Moncrief to keep developing. I like it.

Cheers,
Old 03-17-2017, 11:59 AM

Thanked 4,413 Times in 2,533 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeveJones007 View Post
Those moves led to three straight 11 win seasons. Where Grigson failed was drafting the premium players to push the roster to the next level (and striking out miserably on the big ticket UFAs he went for in 2013-2015).

Ballard is laying a foundation, but it too will fail if he sucks at drafting. I don't think he will based on his track record, but we'll see.
I am with you on all of that. I just had a very strong sense of deja vu going on in this thread. I hope Ballard is not Grigson 2.0.
Old 03-17-2017, 12:08 PM

I wonder how the free agent visit of NT John Jenkins is going? He is an actual 350 pound "true" 3-4 NT that would be good rotation with Al Woods to stabilize the position.

Interesting theme that I have seen run through Ballard's free agent signings or visits:

Former 1st round draft choice = Mingo
Former 2nd round draft choice = Sheard, Woods, Hunt, Kevin Minter (not signed)
Former 3rd round draft choice = John Jenkins (not signed)
Former 4th round draft choice = Simon, Schwenke

Its not like we are bringing in street free agents whom have not started many NFL games. Ballard is bringing in depth guys who had the athleticism to be drafted in the first 4 rounds of the draft in their year but who have underperformed during their rookie contracts.

The exception to that rule has been either re-signing our own (Doyle, Turbin, Butler), Special Teams (Locke - 5th round), and now WR Kamar Aiken who entered the league as a UDFA but who worked himself into a starting role in 2015.

Just an interesting connection point to the free agents. These are not "depth" free agent signings on par with signing the McNary's, Kerr's, Harrison's or Melton's of the world. These guys actually had talent or skills that they have not yet (or perhaps never will) unlock.

Cheers,
Old 03-17-2017, 12:10 PM
Administrator

Thanked 2,853 Times in 1,402 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by omahacolt View Post
We don't have to use a draft pick on a wr regardless

I dont even know why he is looking for a WR unless he is planning to trade Dorsett. If you look at the mocks there are a few teams like the Bills that may take a WR so maybe we could move up trading away Dorsett.
Old 03-17-2017, 12:12 PM

Thanked 4,297 Times in 1,758 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sherck View Post
I like what I see.

Anyone know why he was a full time starter in 2015 and then only became a part time starter in 2016? He has targets in every game in 2016 so he was active and on the field but no longer a starter.

More competition for Dorsett, Rogers and perhaps Moncrief to keep developing. I like it.

Cheers,
Steve smith was hurt. Also I think Perriman came back right?
Old 03-17-2017, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puck View Post
I dont even know why he is looking for a WR unless he is planning to trade Dorsett. If you look at the mocks there are a few teams like the Bills that may take a WR so maybe we could move up trading away Dorsett.
The problem is that Dorsett has shown almost nothing in his time in the NFL to be worth much as trade bait.

50 targets per year, 25 receptions per year, 375 yards per year and 3 TDs total is not much to get other teams excited about his potential.

As an example, we got a 4th round pick for Allen AND had to give a 6th round pick as well. We did get cap relief in the deal but, overall, according to the "draft trade value chart," the 4th we got was worth 38 points and the 6th we gave away was worth 11 points for a "net" of 27 points for Allen equivalent to high 5th round draft choice.

BUF is picking #10 overall. To move from #15 to #10, it would take 250 points. Dwayne Allen only delivered 27 points...we need 9x that to make that trade.

Granted, if I am BUF and I see that I can trade one pick away (that I might have used on WR) to pick up a 3rd year former 1st round choice WR AND still have the #15 overall pick to use on a different position (or pick another WR), then perhaps I do that and I don't care about the "value."

But it takes ALOT to move up into the top ten of the NFL draft. Dorsett does not have that much value, I think.

Cheers,
The Following User Says Thank You to sherck For This Useful Post:
Butter (03-17-2017)
Old 03-17-2017, 12:38 PM
Post whore

Thanked 4,808 Times in 2,679 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sherck View Post
The problem is that Dorsett has shown almost nothing in his time in the NFL to be worth much as trade bait.

50 targets per year, 25 receptions per year, 375 yards per year and 3 TDs total is not much to get other teams excited about his potential.

As an example, we got a 4th round pick for Allen AND had to give a 6th round pick as well. We did get cap relief in the deal but, overall, according to the "draft trade value chart," the 4th we got was worth 38 points and the 6th we gave away was worth 11 points for a "net" of 27 points for Allen equivalent to high 5th round draft choice.

BUF is picking #10 overall. To move from #15 to #10, it would take 250 points. Dwayne Allen only delivered 27 points...we need 9x that to make that trade.

Granted, if I am BUF and I see that I can trade one pick away (that I might have used on WR) to pick up a 3rd year former 1st round choice WR AND still have the #15 overall pick to use on a different position (or pick another WR), then perhaps I do that and I don't care about the "value."

But it takes ALOT to move up into the top ten of the NFL draft. Dorsett does not have that much value, I think.

Cheers,
Dorsett doesn't have much value at all. He's had Andrew fricken Luck as his QB and still hasn't been worth a shit. Another Grigson screw up.
Old 03-17-2017, 12:43 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spike View Post
Dorsett doesn't have much value at all. He's had Andrew fricken Luck as his QB and still hasn't been worth a shit. Another Grigson screw up.

He also has a bad OC calling plays for him
Old 03-17-2017, 12:44 PM
Administrator

Richard Sherman anyone? I dont think he fits what we attempt to do

http://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nfl/...qdM?li=BBnba9I