ColtFreaks.com - Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum   ColtFreaks.com Home Page

Go Back   ColtFreaks.com - Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum > Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum > Indianapolis Colts Discussion
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Old 02-21-2023, 07:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rm1369 View Post
Kadarius Toney returned punts for KC in the SB. In fairness the only reason I know that is because he had the longest punt return in SB history and it happened to be a pretty damn big play. Yeah if I had to pick a weakness I’d probably pick ST over O or D. But that doesn’t mean it can’t make or break your season.
I agree with this. When you consistently put your O in good field position, and the opposing team in bad starting position it makes it somewhat important.
YDFL Commish (02-21-2023)
Old 02-21-2023, 07:59 PM

Thanked 2,258 Times in 1,217 Posts

I think the Browns can steal Bubba by offering him some special designation, like assistant to the head coach or bs like that. Of course we could do the same.

My concern right now, is that we haven't made a decision on the OL coach yet.
Old 02-21-2023, 08:17 PM

Thanked 2,658 Times in 1,180 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by YDFL Commish View Post
My concern right now, is that we haven't made a decision on the OL coach yet.

At least we know that one person won't be the OL Coach next season - Chris Strausser.

The Texans hired him to be their OL Coach. Will be interesting to see how the Texans OL plays over the next 1 - 2 years and if they respond to him.

https://twitter.com/zkeefer/status/1628052734036393984

Quote:
Texans have hired Colts former offensive line coach Chris Strausser, per Aaron Wilson.

Pretty clear Indy was gonna go in a different direction after last season.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to AlwaysSunnyinIndy For This Useful Post:
Brylok (02-21-2023), Oldcolt (02-21-2023)
Old 02-21-2023, 09:08 PM
"Still at Work"

Thanked 3,036 Times in 1,865 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlwaysSunnyinIndy View Post
At least we know that one person won't be the OL Coach next season - Chris Strausser.

The Texans hired him to be their OL Coach. Will be interesting to see how the Texans OL plays over the next 1 - 2 years and if they respond to him.

https://twitter.com/zkeefer/status/1628052734036393984
Hopefully they'll be as good as the Colts O-line was this year. And for the duration of his tenor there.
Old 02-21-2023, 10:25 PM
Doom -N- Gloom

Thanked 1,138 Times in 645 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldcolt View Post
Seriously? You don't think special teams are relevant on good teams. Tell that to the 1970 Colts who won the Super Bowl on a last play field goal. Or the Buffalo Bills for that matter (SB 25) who lost it the same way. Lots of games are won on field position and special teams are integral to good field position. I disagree and the fact that ChaosTheory can or cannot name the punter on KC is irrelevant. Maybe he is like me and doesn't give a shit about other teams. Your point that ST players are unheralded is very true. So are offensive lineman but that doesn't make them irrelevant. The fact that he is trying to be poached (even if it is Cleveland) supports Bubba's value. Plus I like having Bubba's on staff.
So a good fg kicker is equivalent to a good special teams coach?

And why do you like having Bubba on staff? Because of the bullshit we seen on hard knocks?

I do think he’s a good coach based off the blocked punts but if he left it’s no crippling loss by any means
Old 02-21-2023, 10:30 PM

Thanked 1,649 Times in 790 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by apballin View Post
Bright spot on shitty teams, on playoff teams special teams are irrelevant

Unless a spark is needed good teams fair catch / down everything so their star players get all the stats.

Without google name me the chiefs return man and punter
I can understand where you're coming from if you mean you want your O and D units to shine enough that you don't have to rely as heavily on ST. That can be the case on teams with a truly dominant offense or defense. But ST are often overlooked and as tight as your typical NFL game is, you can't afford to neglect it.

I couldn't name the Chiefs punter, no. But I also couldn't name the Chargers punter from 2008 until I just looked him up. What I do remember is we lost a playoff game because that punter/punting unit fucked us up ALL night. This was Mike Scifres stat-line and our starting field position from that game...

1st: 51 yards to IND 10, fair catch

2nd: 57 yards to IND 15, 4 yard return

3rd: 50 yards to IND 3, downed

4th: 67 yards to IND 5, 2 yard return

5th: 38 yards to IND 9, fair catch

6th: 52 yards to IND 1, out of bounds (on 4th & 19)

Special teams also cost us big in the 2010 playoffs against the Jets with that late kickoff return to midfield. And obviously the Super Bowl onside kick that we muffed.

Those are just spotlighted examples because it was the playoffs. Point is, ST are overlooked and they shouldn't be.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ChaosTheory For This Useful Post:
apballin (02-21-2023), njcoltfan (02-23-2023), YDFL Commish (02-22-2023)
Old 02-21-2023, 10:34 PM
Doom -N- Gloom

Quote:
Originally Posted by rm1369 View Post
Kadarius Toney returned punts for KC in the SB. In fairness the only reason I know that is because he had the longest punt return in SB history and it happened to be a pretty damn big play. Yeah if I had to pick a weakness I’d probably pick ST over O or D. But that doesn’t mean it can’t make or break your season.
Just because he leaves doesn’t automatically make special teams a weakness.

I’d argue that the blocked FG last year vs Baltimore broke last season and Bubba was the coach then so…..

I don’t want him to leave but he is from the patriots and a Belicheck guy so him leaving wouldn’t upset me either
Old 02-21-2023, 10:37 PM
Doom -N- Gloom

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChaosTheory View Post
I can understand where you're coming from if you mean you want your O and D units to shine enough that you don't have to rely as heavily on ST. That can be the case on teams with a truly dominant offense or defense. But ST are often overlooked and as tight as your typical NFL game is, you can't afford to neglect it.

I couldn't name the Chiefs punter, no. But I also couldn't name the Chargers punter from 2008 until I just looked him up. What I do remember is we lost a playoff game because that punter/punting unit fucked us up ALL night. This was Mike Scifres stat-line and our starting field position from that game...

1st: 51 yards to IND 10, fair catch

2nd: 57 yards to IND 15, 4 yard return

3rd: 50 yards to IND 3, downed

4th: 67 yards to IND 5, 2 yard return

5th: 38 yards to IND 9, fair catch

6th: 52 yards to IND 1, out of bounds (on 4th & 19)

Special teams also cost us big in the 2010 playoffs against the Jets with that late kickoff return to midfield. And obviously the Super Bowl onside kick that we muffed.

Those are just spotlighted examples because it was the playoffs. Point is, ST are overlooked and they shouldn't be.
I absolutely remember Mike Scifres, and I’m not saying special teams don’t matter I’m just saying we’d be fine if bubba left.

Again so Scifres being a great punter means he had a great special teams coach?

If that’s the case why isn’t the Ravens special teams coach getting his door beaten down for jobs?
Old 02-21-2023, 11:33 PM

Thanked 1,649 Times in 790 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by apballin View Post
Again so Scifres being a great punter means he had a great special teams coach?

If that’s the case why isn’t the Ravens special teams coach getting his door beaten down for jobs?
Not necessarily, no. I just bring it up to demonstrate that ST can not only affect the game significantly, they can outright dominate on a night like that one.

The kickers/punters are kind of their own thing. I'd never say Justin Tucker is great just because of the coach. I would say the rest of the 11-man units are significantly affected, particularly in coverage.

Again, as tight as the typical NFL game is, these plays can make games. Not just splashes like blocks or big returns. Just dealing with shitty field position less than other teams adds up over time. If your coordinator can consistently put units on the field that are disciplined and effective, the chances for all positives go up.

I think Ventrone, overall, puts out good units and increases our odds of winning. Maybe we'd be ok without him, but I'd rather not risk it. We've seen the flipside and it's ugly.

Last edited by ChaosTheory; 02-21-2023 at 11:35 PM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ChaosTheory For This Useful Post:
apballin (02-22-2023), Oldcolt (02-21-2023)
Old 02-22-2023, 09:14 PM

Apparently Bubba is signing with Cleveland. Sigh…