ColtFreaks.com - Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum   ColtFreaks.com Home Page

Go Back   ColtFreaks.com - Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum > Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum > Indianapolis Colts Discussion
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Old 12-11-2022, 05:32 PM

Thanked 1,649 Times in 790 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by nate505 View Post
When did the bye week in mid December crap start? It has to be a recent thing right?

I honestly can't comprehend why there are bye weeks in weeks other than Week 8 and Week 9. In one week the AFC should take a week off, and then the NFC should take a week off. Bam, every team gets a bye week and it's all nearly right in the middle of the season. Make it so games are divisional games, just like in week 18 for those weeks. There would still be 8 games so enough that Thursday night, Sunday night, Monday night, and two games a piece for Fox and CBS on Sunday (in reality they would 3/2 games that day).

There was another suggestion I kind of liked as well that someone made, though I can see others having an issue with it. Have an 18 game season, no bye weeks, but a player can play a max of 16 games a season.
If you go back and look at past seasons, the bye weeks are kind of all over the place but generally weeks 4 through 12 was the norm. Starting last season with the 17 game bullshit, they bumped it to weeks 6 through 14.

It's like the same issue in reverse. You wouldn't want your bye week as early as week 4 or 5 like before... and now you don't want it as late as week 13 or 14. Weeks 8, 9, 10, and 11 are probably ideal.

The Colts have had back-to-back week 14 byes.
The Following User Says Thank You to ChaosTheory For This Useful Post:
nate505 (12-11-2022)
Old 12-11-2022, 10:01 PM

Thanked 1,666 Times in 796 Posts

My enthusiasm has definitely waned. I’ll still be watching the games and hoping for wins, but without any confidence in that. It’s a bit like it was back in 2011, the knowledge this was a lost season set in 2-3 weeks ago, about a week before they fired Reich I think for me.
Old 12-12-2022, 03:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brylok View Post
I'll enjoy the break this week and just leave the tablet on RedZone all day. I'll get some chores done, and hopefully our Monday night game gets flexed out on December 26th. Y'all have a good Sunday!
Monday Night games can't be flexed out...at least not this season. I thought I read somewhere that may not be the case in the future. The Chargers looked really good tonight. They will crush us if they do the same on the 26th.
Old 12-12-2022, 08:41 AM

Quote:
When did the bye week in mid December crap start? It has to be a recent thing right?

I honestly can't comprehend why there are bye weeks in weeks other than Week 8 and Week 9. In one week the AFC should take a week off, and then the NFC should take a week off. Bam, every team gets a bye week and it's all nearly right in the middle of the season. Make it so games are divisional games, just like in week 18 for those weeks. There would still be 8 games so enough that Thursday night, Sunday night, Monday night, and two games a piece for Fox and CBS on Sunday (in reality they would 3/2 games that day).
I think the NFL cares too much about a consistent and forecastable revenue stream to forfeit 8 games in any given week per season. Mainly for the TV revenue, but it would also basically crush fantasy football and betting as well.
I like the idea....really applying the band-aid method to bye weeks. No advantage for a team that has one mid-season vs week 14 stuff.
Old 12-12-2022, 08:55 AM
Post whore

Thanked 2,514 Times in 1,415 Posts

Quote:

There was another suggestion I kind of liked as well that someone made, though I can see others having an issue with it. Have an 18 game season, no bye weeks, but a player can play a max of 16 games a season.
Couple of thoughts:

Its what the other leagues do. They have their All star stuff during the break. Obviously no all star game, but its going to disappear any way.

Your suggestion is completely fair. Having a bye week in the third week is silly. Having a bye right now is a huge advantage to rest and possibly have extra time to heal up.

I would add a balanced schedule, a team would play all of its three division opponents before the break and then play the remaining games after the break. Half before and half after.