ColtFreaks.com - Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum   ColtFreaks.com Home Page

Go Back   ColtFreaks.com - Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum > Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum > Indianapolis Colts Discussion

Old 09-17-2018, 02:32 PM

Thanked 1,099 Times in 497 Posts
Default Colts defensive backs, coverage discussion

I'm not the best with diagnosing defensive back play in real-time. Hoping some of you here are and can answer some questions.

My impression is that under Eberflus our corners appear to play a mix of zone and man, though I don't know yet what general percentages there are of each, what situations call for which type, etc. I'd say generally it seems like more press man than in the Manning years, but less than under Pagano, especially '14 and '15. So far I would not call this a Tampa 2 or primarily Cover 2 defense, am I right?

How are we using our safeties? I am a little disappointed in Hooker's lack of production. I know, it's only 2 games. Are both safeties playing pretty deep? Is Geathers playing up closer to midfield? Are these guys in position to succeed? What are their jobs in this defense?

I am seeing a lot of slapping and clawing at the ball, but not as many defended passes. True? With the DL and Leonard getting pressure and making plays up front and in the middle of the field it seems like there should be opportunities for the DBs to make some plays on the ball this year.
Old 09-17-2018, 03:00 PM

Thanked 1,476 Times in 814 Posts

I seem to remember gaethers playing up a lot in the last game. also, smith threw underneath almost exclusivley so hooker was not too busy in terms of being actively involved
Old 09-17-2018, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FatDT View Post
I'm not the best with diagnosing defensive back play in real-time. Hoping some of you here are and can answer some questions.

My impression is that under Eberflus our corners appear to play a mix of zone and man, though I don't know yet what general percentages there are of each, what situations call for which type, etc. I'd say generally it seems like more press man than in the Manning years, but less than under Pagano, especially '14 and '15. So far I would not call this a Tampa 2 or primarily Cover 2 defense, am I right?

How are we using our safeties? I am a little disappointed in Hooker's lack of production. I know, it's only 2 games. Are both safeties playing pretty deep? Is Geathers playing up closer to midfield? Are these guys in position to succeed? What are their jobs in this defense?

I am seeing a lot of slapping and clawing at the ball, but not as many defended passes. True? With the DL and Leonard getting pressure and making plays up front and in the middle of the field it seems like there should be opportunities for the DBs to make some plays on the ball this year.
I recall at last two key passes defended.

One was by hooker on a deep throw down the middle near the end zone. I thought it was a catch, on the replay hooker knocked it out at the last minute.

Then yesterday one of the DBs broke up a short fade pass to the corner of the end zone.

Hopefully I am remembering these right and not mixing it up with other games I was watching

There was one INT yesterday they should have had in the 4th quarter, perfect break on it by the corner and I think it would have been a pick six had he held on. Need to make those plays
The Following User Says Thank You to DrSpaceman For This Useful Post:
FatDT (09-17-2018)
Old 09-17-2018, 03:25 PM
Accidental Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrSpaceman View Post
Then yesterday one of the DBs broke up a short fade pass to the corner of the end zone.

That was Desir, one of the best plays I have seen him make. He got beat stayed with it and won.

"I want to dominate all my opponents, and take their will away to play the game, by each play, and finishing them past the whistle."
The Following User Says Thank You to Pez For This Useful Post:
JAFF (09-17-2018)
Old 09-17-2018, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pez View Post
That was Desir, one of the best plays I have seen him make. He got beat stayed with it and won.
It was also Desir that had the pick 6, if only he could catch!
Old 09-17-2018, 04:42 PM
Post whore

Thanked 2,514 Times in 1,415 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pez View Post
Desir had a really good game. I think he had 4 big impact plays.
Old 09-17-2018, 05:08 PM

Thanked 4,275 Times in 1,745 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by FatDT View Post

you are correct.

I went back through the 1st game with game pass and i would not call this a tampa 2 team. we played a lot of cover 3 and also some cover 2. didn't appear the mlber was dropping deep enough that i would classify it as a tampa 2 but i didn't look all that hard at the mlber. there weren't really any passes up the middle when they were in a cover 2 for me to really care. this was on a quick watch through the all 22. i was curious what it would look like so i did a quick watch of the game and took mental notes on what the coverages were. i didn't track that on paper.

i do plan on going through and tracking the coverage and the down and distances for the games this year. or at least to start i want to do that to get a better idea of what eberflous is trying to do and i will be posting them here.

geathers, at least for the bengals, was dropping down and playing zone for the cover 3 with hooker as the deep middle safety. a lot of times hooker would cheat way over beyond the hash of the 2 wr side. geathers is a way better run and hit safety. he seems to diagnose a lot quicker than hooker imo. hooker will never be an earl thomas. and actually i dont think hooker offers much value other than being a rangy deep guy. which is alright i guess but it is also pretty early in his career. so we will see. they also did cover 2 obviously and some quarters it looked like.

i plan on watching both games this week/weekend and post something about coverages. i meant to do the bengals game but i did some hurricane family time, binge watched most of ozarks season 2 and spent time getting banned from stamped blue lol.

if there is something specifically you are looking for let me know.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to omahacolt For This Useful Post:
FatDT (09-18-2018), southside asshole (09-20-2018)
Old 09-17-2018, 06:36 PM
Post whore

Thanked 4,793 Times in 2,672 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by omahacolt View Post
you are correct.

I went back through the 1st game with game pass and i would not call this a tampa 2 team. we played a lot of cover 3 and also some cover 2. didn't appear the mlber was dropping deep enough that i would classify it as a tampa 2 but i didn't look all that hard at the mlber. there weren't really any passes up the middle when they were in a cover 2 for me to really care. this was on a quick watch through the all 22. i was curious what it would look like so i did a quick watch of the game and took mental notes on what the coverages were. i didn't track that on paper.

i do plan on going through and tracking the coverage and the down and distances for the games this year. or at least to start i want to do that to get a better idea of what eberflous is trying to do and i will be posting them here.

geathers, at least for the bengals, was dropping down and playing zone for the cover 3 with hooker as the deep middle safety. a lot of times hooker would cheat way over beyond the hash of the 2 wr side. geathers is a way better run and hit safety. he seems to diagnose a lot quicker than hooker imo. hooker will never be an earl thomas. and actually i dont think hooker offers much value other than being a rangy deep guy. which is alright i guess but it is also pretty early in his career. so we will see. they also did cover 2 obviously and some quarters it looked like.

i plan on watching both games this week/weekend and post something about coverages. i meant to do the bengals game but i did some hurricane family time, binge watched most of ozarks season 2 and spent time getting banned from stamped blue lol.

You got banned from stamped blue? You must have posted some crazy shit there for them to ban you. They pretty much let shit go and are 2nd to Colt Freaks in that regard.
Old 09-17-2018, 07:10 PM

Thanked 4,275 Times in 1,745 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spike View Post
You got banned from stamped blue? You must have posted some crazy shit there for them to ban you. They pretty much let shit go and are 2nd to Colt Freaks in that regard.
Not anymore. They have a new mod. They want to make it like colts.com
Old 09-18-2018, 08:57 AM

Thanked 1,099 Times in 497 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by omahacolt View Post
you are correct.

Good point about the MLB. I have not noticed a lot of deep drops there. Which is not surprising, Sean Lee did not drop deep that often in Dallas and he was supposed to be Eberflus' project.

One of the main things I'm looking for is what the FS, and specifically Hooker, is suppose to be doing. He was a top 15ish pick and supposedly the 2nd coming of Ed Reed. But other than in Bethea's best years, I don't remember the FS being that much of a key role in any Dungy/Lovie Smith/Marinelli defense. He looked promising as a rookie before he got hurt. I'm curious if he will have the opportunity to produce turnovers or if not, what this defense is asking him to do.

I haven't been on SB much lately. Shame they're pushing in that direction. Colts fans overall are sickeningly sugary sweet already, they don't need another safe space to parrot the same happy horseshit back and forth to each other.
The Following User Says Thank You to FatDT For This Useful Post:
omahacolt (09-18-2018)