ColtFreaks.com - Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum   ColtFreaks.com Home Page

Go Back   ColtFreaks.com - Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum > Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum > Indianapolis Colts Discussion
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Old 01-23-2024, 04:37 PM

Thanked 2,658 Times in 1,180 Posts

Rapoport now indicates that Tom Telesco will be named Raiders GM.

I guess that comment that Mark Davis didn't want to pair a rookie GM with a rookie head coach played a big factor in the decision.

https://twitter.com/RapSheet/status/1749890605663002867

Quote:
Sources: All signs point to the Raiders hiring former Chargers GM Tom Telesco as their new GM. A surprise!

Telesco built one of the NFL’s best rosters over a decade with the rival Chargers. Now, he’s expected to stay in the division.
https://twitter.com/RapSheet/status/1749892526184497162

Quote:
Tom Telesco has a close look at the Raiders roster twice a year. This should be a smooth transition.

His work in the draft for the Chargers is well-chronicled. Now, he switches sides and is expected to land in Las Vegas.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to AlwaysSunnyinIndy For This Useful Post:
Colts And Orioles (01-23-2024), Ironshaft (01-24-2024), Racehorse (01-23-2024)
Old 01-25-2024, 12:14 AM
Historian

Thanked 3,270 Times in 2,017 Posts

o

Jim Harbaugh Leaves Michigan to Coach the Los Angeles Chargers

(By John Tondora)

https://www.michigandaily.com/sports...ew-nfl-tenure/

o

Bert Jones, Johnny Unitas, Earl Morrall ))))))))).lll) Jim Harbaugh, Peyton Manning, Andrew Luck
The Following User Says Thank You to Colts And Orioles For This Useful Post:
Puck (01-25-2024)
Old 01-25-2024, 11:55 AM

Thanked 1,667 Times in 797 Posts

I was reading about Tom Telesco, since he used to be with the Colts for a long time. I discovered something weird that I found interesting, though likely nobody else will.

He went to college and played college football at a little Jesuit school called John Carroll University, in Ohio. I never heard of it.

But he was on that team with David Caldwell, who was also on Colts staff and was Jacksonville's GM for a few years, and Chris Polian, who of course was Colts assist. GM for awhile (and has since held a few different exec positions with other teams). Also Greg Roman was on the team, who has had multiple NFL coaching positions, current Ravens OC.

The year after Telesco graduated, the same school also had players on the team that included Josh McDaniels (ugh), Nick Caserio (long time with Pats front office, now Houston), and London Fletcher.

So I just thought it was weird that this little school in Ohio produced NFL execs/coaches that had long and successful careers in Indy, and a separate line that had long careers in New England.
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to HoosierinFL For This Useful Post:
AlwaysSunnyinIndy (01-25-2024), Colts And Orioles (01-25-2024), IndyNorm (01-25-2024), Indystu2 (02-04-2024), Ironshaft (01-26-2024), Mr. Session (01-27-2024), Puck (01-27-2024), Racehorse (01-25-2024), YDFL Commish (01-25-2024)
Old 01-25-2024, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoosierinFL View Post
I was reading about Tom Telesco, since he used to be with the Colts for a long time. I discovered something weird that I found interesting, though likely nobody else will.

He went to college and played college football at a little Jesuit school called John Carroll University, in Ohio. I never heard of it.

But he was on that team with David Caldwell, who was also on Colts staff and was Jacksonville's GM for a few years, and Chris Polian, who of course was Colts assist. GM for awhile (and has since held a few different exec positions with other teams). Also Greg Roman was on the team, who has had multiple NFL coaching positions, current Ravens OC.

The year after Telesco graduated, the same school also had players on the team that included Josh McDaniels (ugh), Nick Caserio (long time with Pats front office, now Houston), and London Fletcher.

So I just thought it was weird that this little school in Ohio produced NFL execs/coaches that had long and successful careers in Indy, and a separate line that had long careers in New England.

John Carroll University was also Don Shula's alma mater:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...oll_University
The Following User Says Thank You to AlwaysSunnyinIndy For This Useful Post:
Colts And Orioles (01-25-2024)
Old 01-25-2024, 12:32 PM
Historian

Thanked 3,270 Times in 2,017 Posts

Quote:

o

Good story, thanks.

That reminded me of something else, in regard to Stan Musial and Ken Griffey, Jr. They were both born on the same date ...... Musial was born on November 21st of 1920. Griffey Jr. was also born on November 21st, in 1969.

But birthdates are not the only thing that these 2 Hall-of-Famers share ...... they were both born in the town of Donora, Pennsylvania, which has a population of 4,569.

o

Bert Jones, Johnny Unitas, Earl Morrall ))))))))).lll) Jim Harbaugh, Peyton Manning, Andrew Luck
Old 01-27-2024, 08:15 AM

Quote:
I thought the school's NFL pedigree was curious as well. I think I first stumbled across it on Reddit.

Nepotism was argued to be the catalyst for that, and that resonated with me, but I will admit I don't know everything. It's interesting, regardless.
Old 01-30-2024, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlwaysSunnyinIndy View Post
Regarding the Chargers, there is reporting that they are the frontrunner for Jim Harbaugh. If Harbaugh decides to leave the college ranks and join a NFL team, I am sure that the team hiring him will ask him his thoughts about the GM position. And considering Harbaugh was linked with Dodds during last year's hiring cycle, it will probably happen again this year.

In the end, the Chargers opted for someone from the Ravens organization for their GM job. Maybe Jim's brother gave a good reference/recommendation?

https://twitter.com/RapSheet/status/1752100185688133906

Quote:
Sources: The Chargers are targeting Ravens Director of Player Personnel Joe Hortiz as their new GM.

He’ll pair with new coach Jim Harbaugh, once they work out final details.
https://twitter.com/AdamSchefter/sta...19324721664182

Quote:
Chargers finalized the deal to hire Joe Hortiz as their new general manager late last night, per sources. The deal is now official. Hortiz goes from one Harbaugh to another.
Old 01-30-2024, 12:38 PM

Thanked 2,257 Times in 1,216 Posts

So, last offseason didn't we bring in the currently unemployed DC Wink Martindale for two HC interviews?

If he got that much consideration for the HC gig, wouldn't current Colts brass consider him a better DC alternative to Gus Bradley?
Old 01-31-2024, 04:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YDFL Commish View Post
So, last offseason didn't we bring in the currently unemployed DC Wink Martindale for two HC interviews?

If he got that much consideration for the HC gig, wouldn't current Colts brass consider him a better DC alternative to Gus Bradley?

Yeah, but that wasn't some sort of exclusive club - I believe 8 different candidates were scheduled for two interviews.

I'd have to go back and look it up - but I wouldn't be surprised if most of the first round of interviews were conducted over Zoom. Basically just a screening interview to see if they wanted to bring the guy in for a second, more thorough, in person interview.

And I think Martindale was an early cut after that second interview when the Colts started to whittle it down from that large group. Either that or someone close to him leaked the info to the press that he was out of the running before many of the others.

Last edited by AlwaysSunnyinIndy; 02-01-2024 at 09:05 AM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to AlwaysSunnyinIndy For This Useful Post:
Racehorse (01-31-2024), YDFL Commish (01-31-2024)