ColtFreaks.com - Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum   ColtFreaks.com Home Page

Go Back   ColtFreaks.com - Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum > Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum > Indianapolis Colts Discussion
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Old 03-02-2024, 10:31 AM

Thanked 2,257 Times in 1,216 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by apballin View Post
You think they’re gonna take a WR with the their 1st pick?

I think they’ll wait and just grab Pearsall later
Yeah, I can't see Ballard taking WR in the 1st round when he came out and compared this draft to the very deep 2020 WR draft.
The Following User Says Thank You to YDFL Commish For This Useful Post:
sherck (03-03-2024)
Old 03-02-2024, 02:00 PM
Post whore

Thanked 1,640 Times in 949 Posts

Quote:
You think they’re gonna take a WR with the their 1st pick?

I think they’ll wait and just grab Pearsall later
Yes, with a trade down. If they don't, then they'll probably be after Corley at 46.

Quote:
Originally Posted by YDFL Commish View Post
Yeah, I can't see Ballard taking WR in the 1st round when he came out and compared this draft to the very deep 2020 WR draft.
What did Ballard do with his first pick in 2020? Drafted Pittman at 34. If Ballard thinks the same way about this class, then the value to him is likely in trading down to the mid 20s and getting WR4 or WR5, and there are 2 perfect scenarios with which to do that.
Old 03-02-2024, 05:14 PM
Doom -N- Gloom

Thanked 1,138 Times in 645 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dam8610 View Post
Yes, with a trade down. If they don't, then they'll probably be after Corley at 46.

What did Ballard do with his first pick in 2020? Drafted Pittman at 34. If Ballard thinks the same way about this class, then the value to him is likely in trading down to the mid 20s and getting WR4 or WR5, and there are 2 perfect scenarios with which to do that.
In 2020 they were paying the QB 25mil a year, didn’t have Jonathan Taylor yet either.

Our DBs were atrocious and Juju has injury concerns, they have to address CB. WR is not a dire need like many believe
The Following User Says Thank You to apballin For This Useful Post:
YDFL Commish (03-02-2024)
Old 03-03-2024, 10:58 AM

Thanked 1,325 Times in 749 Posts

Quote:
In 2020 they were paying the QB 25mil a year, didn’t have Jonathan Taylor yet either.

Our DBs were atrocious and Juju has injury concerns, they have to address CB. WR is not a dire need like many believe
Don't disagree that CB is likely our biggest need and needs to be addressed in the offseason. But we have other needs as well which includes the need for more weapons in the passing game, especially ones who can stretch the field. So if we spend our 1st rounder on a WR or TE who can do that then it'll be a 1st rounder well spent IMO.

With that being said though, if a CB, DE, or even S is indeed the BPA then I think we should take him.

Quote:
Playing 2 and 3 TE takes Downs off the field though.

My main beef with the TE by committee was they tipped their hand on play calling, if Granson is in it’s a pass if cox is in it’s likely a run. I feel like Mallory showed huge promise as well as Woods, though neither seem to block worth a shit.

If Bowers can be that every down threat then I’m cool with it, if he’s just a better receiver than Mallory but can’t block I don’t know about that. He seems pretty undersized for all the hype
Agree on the blocking, but even if not then I think it depends on how much better of a receiver Bowers is/could be than Mallory. Mallory did show some promise, but (at least IMO) nothing that looked like he'll be the dynamic playmaker that Bowers very well could be. Woods could be that guy, but he hasn't been able to stay healthy and is likely still very raw since he basically missed both the entire offseason and regular season.

Also, I wouldn't get too hung up on what drafting a player will do to another's snap count. Steichen's a smart guy. He'll be able to figure out how to best utilize the talent on the roster.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to IndyNorm For This Useful Post:
apballin (03-03-2024), Racehorse (03-03-2024)
Old 03-03-2024, 11:04 AM

Thanked 1,325 Times in 749 Posts

Quote:
It looks like the CB class is weakening. We all ready knew that DeJean was injured, so he's not working out. Sounds like Wiggins got injured at the combine (hip flexor)and a McKinstry injury was found during his physical (foot fracture).
I wouldn't completely count out us drafting someone b/c of injury, since Ballard has shown that he's not afraid to spend early round picks on guys who were hurt their senior year and couldn't work out in the offseason (at least effectively), ie Hooker, Leonard, Blackmon, Dayo.
Old 03-03-2024, 05:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dam8610 View Post

I'm not saying that Ballard won't take a WR in the top 45. He just won't take one at 15.
Old 03-03-2024, 05:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndyNorm View Post
I wouldn't completely count out us drafting someone b/c of injury, since Ballard has shown that he's not afraid to spend early round picks on guys who were hurt their senior year and couldn't work out in the offseason (at least effectively), ie Hooker, Leonard, Blackmon, Dayo.
I agree. He could still take Arnold or Mitchell at 15 or take one of the injured guys later.
Old 03-04-2024, 04:48 PM
Post whore

Thanked 1,640 Times in 949 Posts

Quote:
I'm not saying that Ballard won't take a WR in the top 45. He just won't take one at 15.
Unless everyone loses their collective minds and Nabers somehow ends up at 15, I agree. That said, there are two very promising trade down scenarios that would put the Colts in the mid 20s, where I think Ballard would be comfortable selecting a WR.