ColtFreaks.com - Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum   ColtFreaks.com Home Page

Go Back   ColtFreaks.com - Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum > Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum > Indianapolis Colts Discussion
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Old 01-02-2022, 07:16 PM

Thanked 1,650 Times in 791 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by omahacolt View Post
reich doesn't really trust him. which holds the offense back.
He's like the inverse of Rivers. Wentz has the physical tools but seems to lack the processing power. The processing is far more important. Luck thrived with both. People used to call Reich's pass game "state of the art", etc.

I never feel like Wentz has timing with his receivers, not throwing with anticipation. Rarely feels like they're in a flow.

I've loathed the hero ball shit from the jump. The throw to MAC was infuriating. And I'd rather shit in my own hands than see another scrambling, backhanded, 8yd pass attempt to nobody.
Old 01-02-2022, 07:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by omahacolt View Post
running on almost all 1st and 2nd downs. hardly using playaction

the playcalling doesn't show he trusts him fully
No, that's just Reich being a dumbass.
The Following User Says Thank You to DragonTails For This Useful Post:
ChoppedWood (01-02-2022)
Old 01-02-2022, 07:51 PM

Thanked 1,994 Times in 1,136 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DragonTails View Post
No, that's just Reich being a dumbass.
Something else that seems to be a pattern with El Obtuso.

It appears that whenever the run is going good and we get a holding penalty, Obtuso reverts to a passing sequence for several plays thereafter. I don't have any kind of stats to back this but I seem to recall several instances this year, including in this game, where JT pops a nice run but there is a hold and boom we gotta throw some passes as some sort of counter?

I see Omaha's point but to me the bigger issue is trusting Wentz more than he does the line when the evidence is clearly to the contrary. Then again, that's my whole issue with Frank in a nutshell, the whole contrarian style he seems to love.

And for the love of God, yeah Wentz is not very good but why in the absolute F-K do we have such a hard time giving him more than 1.5 seconds of clean pocket to work with?
Old 01-02-2022, 07:54 PM

Thanked 1,667 Times in 797 Posts

Well I posted in the game thread without seeing this thread, so I’ll repeat it here.

I don’t begrudge trading for him, we needed a QB, Stafford was too pricey. But we also have to cut our losses. He’s not the guy. You just can’t lean on him when you need a big play to win. He makes crazy plays here and there throughout the season, is a great scrambler and avoids sacks, but just doesn’t make the big throw when you need it. And if your QB can’t do that, then you can’t win consistently and you can’t go deep in the playoffs. That’s plain and simple.

We def don’t need another Manning or Luck, but any number of regular guys would be a big step up here, someone like Goff, Carr, Tannehill, hell even Minshew or Davis Mills would likely be improvements.
Old 01-02-2022, 07:54 PM

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by nate505 View Post
Yeah, as much as I detest him right now, the Colts will roll with him at least one more year. So the best hope is that Reich can correct some of the bad out of him.

That said, I'm not sure what Reich can do about the decision making. The most brain dead play I saw today was Wentz, who admittedly did a spectacular job of escaping out of a sure sack, had a huge lane to run and gain yards. Instead, for some stupid inconceivable reason he decides to pass the ball to a guy who was covered. At the best if that pass is made he's getting tackled for a 10 yard gain. Unless there was a different angle, he could have ran for 10 yards in his sleep at worst, and may have got 20-30 or so.
That was the second worst decision I remember him making - I was screaming at the TV it was so stupid. The worst however was the throw that ended up a TD to Hilton. Just a horrible decision that worked out.

I don’t think you can ever fully coach the stupid decisions out of him, but I think you can help him minimize them. A lot of his bad decisions come when he’s trying to extend plays. It is extremely rare to see him just truly throw the ball away. Not before he’s been contacted by the D and is throwing it left handed anyway. I think you have to treat him like a rookie and simplify the offense for him unfortunately. Quicker decisions, reading only half the field, etc.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to rm1369 For This Useful Post:
apballin (01-02-2022), nate505 (01-02-2022)
Old 01-02-2022, 07:56 PM
Post whore

Thanked 3,683 Times in 2,059 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChoppedWood View Post
Something else that seems to be a pattern with El Obtuso.

It appears that whenever the run is going good and we get a holding penalty, Obtuso reverts to a passing sequence for several plays thereafter. I don't have any kind of stats to back this but I seem to recall several instances this year, including in this game, where JT pops a nice run but there is a hold and boom we gotta throw some passes as some sort of counter?

I see Omaha's point but to me the bigger issue is trusting Wentz more than he does the line when the evidence is clearly to the contrary. Then again, that's my whole issue with Frank in a nutshell, the whole contrarian style he seems to love.

And for the love of God, yeah Wentz is not very good but why in the absolute F-K do we have such a hard time giving him more than 1.5 seconds of clean pocket to work with?
We don’t. He holds the ball too long. He is at about 2.5 second average for holding the ball which is one of the longest in the league. He doesn’t process fast enough or get through his progressions.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Chromeburn For This Useful Post:
apballin (01-02-2022), omahacolt (01-02-2022), Racehorse (01-02-2022)
Old 01-02-2022, 08:04 PM

Thanked 1,994 Times in 1,136 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chromeburn View Post
We don’t. He holds the ball too long. He is at about 2.5 second average for holding the ball which is one of the longest in the league. He doesn’t process fast enough or get through his progressions.
Yeah he definitely holds it too long- which I think BOTH can co-exist; i.e= we don't pass pro well and he's too slow to process and I guess that reflects on just how shoddy he is at the job. I know this is a very tough and largely unfair comparison but I think to Peyton in the latter years when the line wasn't very good. Peyton became the most insanely fast read and throw guy I can ever recall seeing. He KNEW the line couldn't give him much time so he got rid of the damn ball. To some extent this is also a reflection on Reich being too effing pig headed to change things up. The PP is bad, the WR's aren't good outside of Pittman, but we still seem to have a ton of outside slow developing routes vs curls, slants, and crosses.
Old 01-02-2022, 08:23 PM

Thanked 2,258 Times in 1,217 Posts

Wentz played like ass and was the biggest simple reason for the Colts loss. The guy is about as accurate as me throwing it with my dick.

Absolutely brutal over throws and under throws.
Old 01-02-2022, 08:32 PM

Thanked 2,538 Times in 1,489 Posts

Like I'm not saying this to be a dick, but I just don't understand how you can constantly be so inaccurate same be an NFL QB.
Dewey 5 (01-02-2022)
Old 01-02-2022, 08:35 PM

Thanked 4,404 Times in 2,531 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by YDFL Commish View Post
Wentz played like ass and was the biggest simple reason for the Colts loss. The guy is about as accurate as me throwing it with my dick.

Absolutely brutal over throws and under throws.
Please tell me you have never tried that.