ColtFreaks.com - Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum   ColtFreaks.com Home Page

Go Back   ColtFreaks.com - Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum > Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum > Indianapolis Colts Discussion
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Old 01-02-2022, 11:19 AM

Thanked 2,430 Times in 1,092 Posts

Talk about the football gods giving us some love. Unvaccinated Wentz gets COVID at the exact right time to miss zero games and be essentially cleared of COVID worries (as far as protocols etc go) for the entire playoffs. The whole offensive line is practically in the same boat as is Leonard, Rock and Rhodes. We are set up for a playoff run. Now we just gotta get in.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Oldcolt For This Useful Post:
Discflinger (01-02-2022), Racehorse (01-02-2022), Spike (01-06-2022)
Old 01-06-2022, 12:30 PM
Historian

Thanked 3,270 Times in 2,017 Posts

o

This article is not necessarily my opinion. I'm just putting it out there because I came across it.

That said, I'm looking at it from the other side ...... when Carson Wentz hurt both of his ankles late in the 4th quarter of the Colts' very close loss to the Rams, they were trailing by only 3 points. Jacob Eason came in with a little over 2 minutes left to play, and a chance to lead the offense to either a game-tying field goal or a game-winning touchdown. After thrown an incomplete pass on the first play from scrimmage, Eason threw an INT to end the Colts' chances for a win.

The next week, a severely-hobbled Carson Wentz gutted out a game against the Titans in a losing effort. At the time, many Colts fans felt that they would rather have Carson Wentz playing in a wheelchair than have either Jacob Eason or Sam Ehlinger take the snaps from the center ...... so Wentz may not have had the season that many Colts fans were hoping that he would have, but there is also a LOOOOONG gap between him and whomever we have lined up next. And yes, I suppose one could argue that Chris Ballard should have done a better job at finding better back-up quarterbacks than Eason and/or Ehlinger, but there really aren't a hell of a lot of them (good back-up QB's) throughout the league ...... perhaps he could have made an effort to acquire Case Keenum, but I don't think that the Raiders were going to just let us have Marcus Mariota. And I'm not sure that anyone could have foreseen Taylor Heinicke coming in and doing the very respectable job that he has done for the Redskins in place of the injured Ryan Fitzpatrick.

Is Carson Wentz Holding the Colts Back ???

(By Brett Mock)

https://www.stampedeblue.com/2022/1/...the-colts-back

o

Bert Jones, Johnny Unitas, Earl Morrall ))))))))).lll) Jim Harbaugh, Peyton Manning, Andrew Luck
Old 01-06-2022, 12:50 PM

Thanked 2,430 Times in 1,092 Posts

Not sure how good or bad our backup quarterback situation is. The Colts seem to love Ehlinger and who knows how he would play. Having said that Wentz is our starting QB and I am convinced we can win with him, just not because of him (like a whole lot of other freaks). I he holding us back? Compared to who? Compared to the top tier of QBs sure, but Ballard has stated how he wants to build a team approach and doesn't need a Manning or Rogers to win. We had Manning/Luck for 20 combined years and have one Super Bowl to show for it. Having a dominant QB doesn't guarantee anything. We are a WR and a pass rush away.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Oldcolt For This Useful Post:
Racehorse (01-06-2022), rcubed (01-06-2022), Spike (01-06-2022)
Old 01-06-2022, 01:49 PM

Thanked 1,477 Times in 815 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldcolt View Post
Not sure how good or bad our backup quarterback situation is. The Colts seem to love Ehlinger and who knows how he would play. Having said that Wentz is our starting QB and I am convinced we can win with him, just not because of him (like a whole lot of other freaks). I he holding us back? Compared to who? Compared to the top tier of QBs sure, but Ballard has stated how he wants to build a team approach and doesn't need a Manning or Rogers to win. We had Manning/Luck for 20 combined years and have one Super Bowl to show for it. Having a dominant QB doesn't guarantee anything. We are a WR and a pass rush away.
well said.
Old 01-06-2022, 01:54 PM

Thanked 4,404 Times in 2,531 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colts And Orioles View Post
o

This article is not necessarily my opinion. I'm just putting it out there because I came across it.

That said, I'm looking at it from the other side ...... when Carson Wentz hurt both of his ankles late in the 4th quarter of the Colts' very close loss to the Rams, they were trailing by only 3 points. Jacob Eason came in with a little over 2 minutes left to play, and a chance to lead the offense to either a game-tying field goal or a game-winning touchdown. After thrown an incomplete pass on the first play from scrimmage, Eason threw an INT to end the Colts' chances for a win.

The next week, a severely-hobbled Carson Wentz gutted out a game against the Titans in a losing effort. At the time, many Colts fans felt that they would rather have Carson Wentz playing in a wheelchair than have either Jacob Eason or Sam Ehlinger take the snaps from the center ...... so Wentz may not have had the season that many Colts fans were hoping that he would have, but there is also a LOOOOONG gap between him and whomever we have lined up next. And yes, I suppose one could argue that Chris Ballard should have done a better job at finding better back-up quarterbacks than Eason and/or Ehlinger, but there really aren't a hell of a lot of them (good back-up QB's) throughout the league ...... perhaps he could have made an effort to acquire Case Keenum, but I don't think that the Raiders were going to just let us have Marcus Mariota. And I'm not sure that anyone could have foreseen Taylor Heinicke coming in and doing the very respectable job that he has done for the Redskins in place of the injured Ryan Fitzpatrick.

Is Carson Wentz Holding the Colts Back ???

(By Brett Mock)

https://www.stampedeblue.com/2022/1/...the-colts-back

o
Interesting article, but the author just brushes off the suggestion that we need better WRs and a more consistent lineup on the line. Those are a factor, and until we see improvement there, we can't fully assess the QB. The biggest issue with Wentz is the overthrows, followed by holding onto the ball too long.
Oldcolt (01-06-2022), Spike (01-06-2022)