ColtFreaks.com - Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum   ColtFreaks.com Home Page

Go Back   ColtFreaks.com - Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum > Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum > Indianapolis Colts Discussion

Old 12-03-2020, 01:41 PM
Post whore

Thanked 3,582 Times in 2,004 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by njcoltfan View Post
When is he considered a bust ?
When we trade him to the Jets.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Chromeburn For This Useful Post:
JAFF (12-03-2020), Racehorse (12-03-2020), TheMugwump (12-04-2020)
Old 12-03-2020, 05:34 PM
"Still at Work"

Thanked 3,036 Times in 1,865 Posts
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by njcoltfan View Post
When is he considered a bust ?
Some say the most important ability is availability, and he just doesn't have it. He's still under contract through 2022 (I think), but he's going to have to play next year or he might just wash out of the NFL. Hopefully he'll turn it around but I'm not optimistic.
Old 12-03-2020, 07:09 PM
Post whore

Thanked 2,514 Times in 1,415 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dam8610 View Post
I see you missed the sarcasm and were unaware that I said Metcalf was the only WR I wanted in round 1 that year.
No one ever knows what you are talking about
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JAFF For This Useful Post:
IndyNorm (12-04-2020), Racehorse (12-03-2020)
Old 12-04-2020, 01:37 AM

Thanked 1,476 Times in 814 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAFF View Post
No one ever knows what you are talking about

Late candidate for post of the year!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to rcubed For This Useful Post:
IndyNorm (12-04-2020), JAFF (12-04-2020), Racehorse (12-04-2020)
Old 12-04-2020, 07:06 PM

Thanked 2,211 Times in 1,191 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dam8610 View Post
But Metcalf's 3 cone was horrible! Who could've possibly predicted he'd be a quality NFL WR?
So 3-cone is unimportant but 40 yd time is ultra important to you?

IMO, all measurables have a certain significance. A good organization is going to ask themselves what kind of routes am I going to ask this guy to run, is he gonna play the slot or outside and fit his measurables into that evaluation.
Old 12-04-2020, 08:10 PM
Post whore

Thanked 1,595 Times in 925 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by YDFL Commish View Post
So 3-cone is unimportant but 40 yd time is ultra important to you?

IMO, all measurables have a certain significance. A good organization is going to ask themselves what kind of routes am I going to ask this guy to run, is he gonna play the slot or outside and fit his measurables into that evaluation.
There are ranges (including acceptable and unacceptable) for all drills and player types where certain flaws can be mitigated. When you look at a D.K. Metcalf and you see his HWS is off the charts, that's a huge positive. Then you see the 3-Cone and it's a red flag. Then you go back and watch the tape and see that his route tree doesn't really include a lot of the COD heavy routes and you start to see how the 3-Cone can be mitigated. Then you look for comparables and find that Calvin Johnson was almost identical on HWS AND 3-Cone AND presented the same route limitations, yet was incredibly productive over a ~10 season career that could've been much longer had he wanted it to be, and you find a path to Metcalf being a star. You get favorable injury luck and Russell Wilson throwing him the ball, and you have D.K. Metcalf where he is today.
Old 12-04-2020, 08:37 PM
Post whore

Thanked 2,514 Times in 1,415 Posts

How was TY Hiltons numbers? Tape is more important than numbers. Players make PLAYS. All that other nonsense is for reporters and idiots on line.

Who here thought Darius Leonard was the steal of the draft? All that guy did was make plays. Plays like his hair’s on fire. Ther isnt a score for that. Its the eye test.

People in Indy wanted Ricky Williams and couldnt believe Polian took Edge. Polian and Ballard both know how to use the eye test. They know what a ball player looks like without a cone test
The Following User Says Thank You to JAFF For This Useful Post:
Racehorse (12-05-2020)
Old 12-05-2020, 02:01 AM
Post whore

Thanked 1,595 Times in 925 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAFF View Post
How was TY Hiltons numbers? Tape is more important than numbers. Players make PLAYS. All that other nonsense is for reporters and idiots on line.

Who here thought Darius Leonard was the steal of the draft? All that guy did was make plays. Plays like his hair’s on fire. Ther isnt a score for that. Its the eye test.

People in Indy wanted Ricky Williams and couldnt believe Polian took Edge. Polian and Ballard both know how to use the eye test. They know what a ball player looks like without a cone test
Of course the film study is important, but it, like everything else, can be misleading. If evaluating talent was an exact science where you just needed to follow a formula of putting in X hours of film study on a player, no GM would ever get fired and no all pro or pro bowler would ever be drafted later than early round 2. A great example of this is Tremaine Edmunds. If you just watched his film, you saw a slow, plodding MLB who would be lucky to make it as a 34 ILB thumper in the NFL (because that's what I saw when just watching the film). Then you look at the measurables, he's 6'5" 250, runs a 4.54 40, and is only 19(!) at the time of the draft. Given that context, it becomes clearer that at 19 with very little football experience, what looked like a lack of speed was more likely a lack of experience properly diagnosing and reading a play, and given the right coaching staff, he would be the best clay any LB coach could ever ask for to mold and become a star. Sure enough, he made the Pro Bowl at 21, his second year starting in the NFL.