ColtFreaks.com - Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum   ColtFreaks.com Home Page

Go Back   ColtFreaks.com - Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum > Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum > Indianapolis Colts Discussion
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Old 12-04-2020, 04:43 PM
Historian

Thanked 3,267 Times in 2,015 Posts
Default The Packers Win vs. the Titans Loss. Which was More important ???

o

For obvious reasons, if the Colts could switch the results of the games with the Packers and the Titans, they would. For the purposes of winning the division, tie-breakers, etc, a win over a team in your own division (particularly when that particular team is the only one which is rivaling you for the title) is much more important than a win over an opponent that is not even in your conference.

However ........ in this particular case, I believe that the win over the Packers is actually more important for the franchise in the long run (both for this season AND for 2021 and beyond) than a win and a subsequent sweep over the Titans would have been. I believe that the Packers are a better team than are the Titans, and are bonafide Super Bowl contenders. Beating the Packers in the fashion that the Colts did (twice overcoming a 14-point deficit, and also overcoming losing an extremely important coin-toss in overtime) showed that the Colts themselves are probably not very far off from being at least AFC title contenders, if not necessarily Super Bowl contenders themselves. To me, the loss to the Titans showed 2 things that we all already know...... 1) that the Colts, as good of a team that they usually are, are still capable of shitting the bed in any given game. And 2) that the Colts were missing several key players in the game against the Titans, which very likely was at least partially responsible for the ass-kicking that the Titans administered against them.

So yes, if you had told me 2 weeks ago that the Colts would go 1-1 over their next 2 games, I would have said that I preferred a win over the Titans than a win over the Packers ...... but with hindsight, even though the loss to the Titans now means that the Colts' road to a 2020 AFC South championship title will be considerably harder than if they had won that game, I still would not switch the results of the 2 games. I still believe that a clutch win over a very solid Aaron Rodgers-led Packers team is more important in the long run than a loss to their division-rival Titans and a (now) harder road to hoe for this seasons's AFC South title.

o

Bert Jones, Johnny Unitas, Earl Morrall ))))))))).lll) Jim Harbaugh, Peyton Manning, Andrew Luck

Last edited by Colts And Orioles; 12-04-2020 at 11:39 PM.
Old 12-04-2020, 05:04 PM

Yeah, too bad the games didn't turn out the other way.
Old 12-05-2020, 08:47 AM

The loss to the fuckin Jaguars are going to come back and bite the Colts in the ass, the worst loss of the year...............so far !!!
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to njcoltfan For This Useful Post:
BCN#1 (12-28-2020), Colts And Orioles (12-05-2020), Dewey 5 (12-05-2020), Racehorse (12-05-2020)
Old 12-05-2020, 12:09 PM
Historian

Quote:
Originally Posted by njcoltfan View Post

The loss to the fuckin' Jaguars are going to come back and bite the Colts in the ass, the worst loss of the year...............so far !!!

I agree that that was a disastrous loss, but it could also be part of the reason why the Colts went 7-2 over their next 9 games afterward.

I posted this immediately after that game/loss ........

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colts And Orioles View Post
o

Perhaps today's disaster can serve as a reminder to the players that they are not as good as they thought they were ....... or perhaps they ARE that good, but they certainly can't just come in and believe that they can coast against any opponent, no matter how seemingly over-matched they appear to be.

If the Colts can rebound and win 5 out of their next 6 games, then perhaps the loss this afternoon was worth it if it winds up serving to open their damned eyes.

o
o

After the Colts beat the Packers, Frank Reich told everyone that he had had a heart-to-heart conversation with team owner Jim Irsay about that loss more than 2 months prior, and about the direction of the team going forward ........

Frank Reich 'Took to Heart' Long Conversation with Jim Irsay after Jaguars Loss

(By Joel A. Erickson)

https://www.indystar.com/story/sport...ss/6387285002/

o

Bert Jones, Johnny Unitas, Earl Morrall ))))))))).lll) Jim Harbaugh, Peyton Manning, Andrew Luck
Old 12-05-2020, 12:12 PM

Wink

Quote:
The loss to the fuckin Jaguars are going to come back and bite the Colts in the ass, the worst loss of the year...............so far !!!
Probably, but from the Jags POV, it was definitely their best win of the year.
Racehorse (12-05-2020)
Old 12-05-2020, 12:55 PM

Quote:
It’s weird, though. That loss may be the only thing that prevents Trevor Lawrence from playing us twice a year for the next 15 years, so in retrospect it might end up being one of the most positive things that happened this year.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Chaka For This Useful Post:
albany ed (12-05-2020), Racehorse (12-05-2020)
Old 12-05-2020, 01:27 PM

Thanked 4,374 Times in 2,519 Posts

Never want to lose division games. However, it is also nice to beat division leaders.
Old 12-05-2020, 05:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaka View Post
It’s weird, though. That loss may be the only thing that prevents Trevor Lawrence from playing us twice a year for the next 15 years, so in retrospect it might end up being one of the most positive things that happened this year.
Only you could find the bright side of that loss, but, I’ll have to agree with you.
Old 12-28-2020, 01:14 PM
Historian

Quote:
o

For obvious reasons, if the Colts could switch the results of the games with the Packers and the Titans, they would. For the purposes of winning the division, tie-breakers, etc, a win over a team in your own division (particularly when that particular team is the only one which is rivaling you for the title) is much more important than a win over an opponent that is not even in your conference.

However ........ in this particular case, I believe that the win over the Packers is actually more important for the franchise in the long run (both for this season AND for 2021 and beyond) than a win and a subsequent sweep over the Titans would have been. I believe that the Packers are a better team than are the Titans, and are bonafide Super Bowl contenders. Beating the Packers in the fashion that the Colts did (twice overcoming a 14-point deficit, and also overcoming losing an extremely important coin-toss in overtime) showed that the Colts themselves are probably not very far off from being at least AFC title contenders, if not necessarily Super Bowl contenders themselves. To me, the loss to the Titans showed 2 things that we all already know...... 1) that the Colts, as good of a team that they usually are, are still capable of shitting the bed in any given game. And 2) that the Colts were missing several key players in the game against the Titans, which very likely was at least partially responsible for the ass-kicking that the Titans administered against them.

So yes, if you had told me 2 weeks ago that the Colts would go 1-1 over their next 2 games, I would have said that I preferred a win over the Titans than a win over the Packers ...... but with hindsight, even though the loss to the Titans now means that the Colts' road to a 2020 AFC South championship title will be considerably harder than if they had won that game, I still would not switch the results of the 2 games. I still believe that a clutch win over a very solid Aaron Rodgers-led Packers team is more important in the long run than a loss to their division-rival Titans and a (now) harder road to hoe for this seasons's AFC South title.

o
o

After watching the Packers-Titans game last night, I think that it is pretty clear that the Colts are much more equipped to have success in the playoffs against other good teams than are the Titans.

Even though it would mean that the Colts would be in control of their own destiny in regard to the division title, I still would not switch the wins with the Packers and the Titans ...... I'd rather have the Colts needing help from one of 3 teams (the Texans, the Bills, or the Steelers) than to have a team that is incapable of competing with and beating solid teams, like the Colts showed that they were capable of in that win over the Packers. As painful as it was to see the Colts blow a 17-point lead to the Steelers yesterday, I think that the closeness of the game (especially considering the fact that the Colts were without both of the starting offensive tackles) showed that the Colts were indeed bona-fide contenders with the capability of at least reaching the AFC championship game. Hell, I think that the Colts have a better chance of defeating the Chiefs in the playoffs than the Bills or the Steelers do ...... I'm not saying that I would bet on the Colts beating the Chiefs, but I would be very surprised to see the Chiefs lose to the Bills or the Steelers in the playoffs, and I would NOT be surprised to see them lose to the Colts in the playoffs.

o

Old 12-28-2020, 01:53 PM
Historian

Quote:
o

After watching the Packers-Titans game last night, I think that it is pretty clear that the Colts are much more equipped to have success in the playoffs against other good teams than are the Titans.

Even though it would mean that the Colts would be in control of their own destiny in regard to the division title, I still would not switch the wins with the Packers and the Titans ...... I'd rather have the Colts needing help from one of 3 teams (the Texans, the Bills, or the Steelers) than to have a team that is incapable of competing with and beating solid teams, like the Colts showed that they were capable of in that win over the Packers. As painful as it was to see the Colts blow a 17-point lead to the Steelers yesterday, I think that the closeness of the game (especially considering the fact that the Colts were without both of the starting offensive tackles) showed that the Colts were indeed bona-fide contenders with the capability of at least reaching the AFC championship game. Hell, I think that the Colts have a better chance of defeating the Chiefs in the playoffs than the Bills or the Steelers do ...... I'm not saying that I would bet on the Colts beating the Chiefs, but I would be very surprised to see the Chiefs lose to the Bills or the Steelers in the playoffs, and I would NOT be surprised to see them lose to the Colts in the playoffs.

o
o

From the Titans' local newspaper ........

It wasn't the Snow or the Officials ....... The Packers were Much Better than the Titans

(By Gentry Estes)

https://www.tennessean.com/story/spo...fs/3964675001/

o