ColtFreaks.com - Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum   ColtFreaks.com Home Page

Go Back   ColtFreaks.com - Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum > Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum > Indianapolis Colts Discussion

Old 03-11-2020, 12:16 PM
Post whore

Thanked 3,582 Times in 2,004 Posts
Default Free Agency Predictions

Give me your FA predictions.

I think we follow a similar pattern as before. We will be in a on few big names then get outbid. We will pick up tier 2 guys and round out the roster so we can go BPA in the draft. I think we sign a DT, DE, and a WR. Maybe Wolff or Shelby Harris, Sheard, and Emanuel Sanders.

I think we sign Rivers and draft a low round QB. Rivers said he only wants to play two more years so he is essentially a stop gap.
Old 03-11-2020, 12:46 PM
"Still at Work"

Thanked 3,036 Times in 1,865 Posts

I predict it will be difficult to get quality free agents to come without overpaying, so I'm tempering my expectations.
Old 03-11-2020, 01:03 PM

Thanked 2,211 Times in 1,191 Posts

Matt Judon, Shelby Harris, Austin Hooper/Hunter Henry.
Old 03-11-2020, 01:26 PM

- Sign OT Catonzo to new contract before free agency opens

- Sign one DE. I think we will swing and miss on Clowney and then "settle" for either re-signing Sheard or a lesser talented veteran like Shaq Lawson, Emmanuel Ogbah, Markus Golden or Vic Beasley.

- Try to sign a veteran TE but I think Henry will be tagged and I think Hooper will end up signing for CRAZY money so I think we will miss out. Jordan Reed would be okay but my guess is that we will have to draft someone.

- Sign one of: NT D.J. Reader, Javon Hargrave, Jarran Reed. Might end up being the "biggest impact" free agent of the class.

- Sit until the "value" portion of free agency to pick up a veteran WR to help mentor the younger guys (Pascal, Fountain, Campbell) and 1 or 2 rookie draft picks alongside T.Y.

- Sit until the "value" portion of free agency and pick up O-Line depth.

If we can get a NT, DE, WR and O-Line depth in free agency, that opens the draft up to draft BPA with our first 4 draft picks (rounds 1 - 3).

Now, watch Ballard go sign Rivers, Hooper, Amari Cooper and Clowney on day one of free agency (and see our cap go up in smoke! )
Old 03-11-2020, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chromeburn View Post
Give me your FA predictions.

I think we follow a similar pattern as before. We will be in a on few big names then get outbid. We will pick up tier 2 guys and round out the roster so we can go BPA in the draft. I think we sign a DT, DE, and a WR. Maybe Wolff or Shelby Harris, Sheard, and Emanuel Sanders.

I think we sign Rivers and draft a low round QB. Rivers said he only wants to play two more years so he is essentially a stop gap.
I pretty much agree. They’ll sign Rivers and draft Fromm or Gordon. They’ll “go after” the top tier guys, but settle on the a couple tier 2 and tier 3 guys. The exception possibly being Hunter Henry (if you consider him top tier). I think he’ll be heavily pursued by the Colts and could possibly be landed since TE isn’t a “premier” position (not the same dollars as DE, DT, or OT). We saw what Ebron meant to the system and Henry obviously has familiarity with Rivers, so he makes sense on multiple fronts.

I’m not sure I agree on Sanders though. He’s not a fit due to age IMO. I could see like Higgins or Agholor. And of course they’ll add someone in the first two rounds of the draft and possibly an additional one later. Although I’m hoping they resign Funchess instead of double dipping in the draft - WRs often take a year or two to develop.

I agree on DE and DT - they’ll settle on a lower tier guy still in his mid to late 20s. And they‘ll spend one of the other first or second round picks on the other position.

Personally I’d like to see them pursue Byron Jones. They need help at CB and if they are signing Rivers I think they need that help now. I doubt they’d land him if they do though.
Old 03-11-2020, 01:52 PM
Post whore

Thanked 3,582 Times in 2,004 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rm1369 View Post
I pretty much agree. They’ll sign Rivers and draft Fromm or Gordon. They’ll “go after” the top tier guys, but settle on the a couple tier 2 and tier 3 guys. The exception possibly being Hunter Henry (if you consider him top tier). I think he’ll be heavily pursued by the Colts and could possibly be landed since TE isn’t a “premier” position (not the same dollars as DE, DT, or OT). We saw what Ebron meant to the system and Henry obviously has familiarity with Rivers, so he makes sense on multiple fronts.

I’m not sure I agree on Sanders though. He’s not a fit due to age IMO. I could see like Higgins or Agholor. And of course they’ll add someone in the first two rounds of the draft and possibly an additional one later. Although I’m hoping they resign Funchess instead of double dipping in the draft - WRs often take a year or two to develop.

I agree on DE and DT - they’ll settle on a lower tier guy still in his mid to late 20s. And they‘ll spend one of the other first or second round picks on the other position.

Personally I’d like to see them pursue Byron Jones. They need help at CB and if they are signing Rivers I think they need that help now. I doubt they’d land him if they do though.
I can’t see Fromm, Ballard likes his athletes and traits. Fromm has the mental makeup and I think he will interview well, but he struggles to make basic throws and I can’t see him making big throws. Gordon has a quick release but that’s about it. His mechanics are a mess and he is a statue in the pocket. Eason is a possibility in my mind, he has the arm and athletiscm, but he needs to sit and learn. Also needs to grow up a little. Rivers might be a good mentor for him. They also looked at the Northern Colorado QB Joe Knipp today.

I hope they do not sign Agolohor, that guy couldn’t catch the corona virus if he was stuck in an over crowded woohan hospital. But I agree he might be more likely than Sanders.

I’m not sold on Funchess, and I think his tag is too high. If he is cheaper. I think they want a tall guy who can jump ball it. But I think they need a route runner who can get open. There are a lot of big guys with big wing spans in this draft.
Old 03-11-2020, 02:15 PM
Administrator

Thanked 1,965 Times in 1,038 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rm1369 View Post

If this is true, I don't see Colts paying that?

Free-agent CB Byron Jones expected to become highest-paid DB ever next week with deal worth $16-18M a year, per @TomPelissero
Old 03-11-2020, 02:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chromeburn View Post
I can’t see Fromm, Ballard likes his athletes and traits. Fromm has the mental makeup and I think he will interview well, but he struggles to make basic throws and I can’t see him making big throws. Gordon has a quick release but that’s about it. His mechanics are a mess and he is a statue in the pocket. Eason is a possibility in my mind, he has the arm and athletiscm, but he needs to sit and learn. Also needs to grow up a little. Rivers might be a good mentor for him. They also looked at the Northern Colorado QB Joe Knipp today.

I hope they do not sign Agolohor, that guy couldn’t catch the corona virus if he was stuck in an over crowded woohan hospital. But I agree he might be more likely than Sanders.

I’m not sold on Funchess, and I think his tag is too high. If he is cheaper. I think they want a tall guy who can jump ball it. But I think they need a route runner who can get open. There are a lot of big guys with big wing spans in this draft.
Probably true on Fromm. I thought about Eason as well, but Ballard has put a lot of emphasis on leadership when selecting other positions. I find it hard to believe he’d overlook it at QB. It’s probably my personal opinion, but at QB I’d definitely rank the mental aspects higher than the physical. And I’m not sure I’d count on Rivers being much of a mentor. My memory is he’s had an issue with previous talk about the Chargers drafting his replacement. I’m not sure he’d accept that role.

Agholor isn’t who I’d like them to sign, but he’ll be in the age and price range and has history with Reich so I wouldn’t be surprised at all.

I wasn’t sold on the Funchess signing last year because it was only a one year deal. But they supposedly saw something in him they went after heavily and unfortunately we didn’t get a chance to see it on the field to know. He still fits the bill age wise and whatever they saw should still be there. And he knows the system. His cost should be lower this year than last although I’d still prefer to overpay this year with a team option for another year. Overall, I hope for a round 1-2 rookie, resigning of Funchess, and another low tier free agent. Then let them compete.
Old 03-11-2020, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smitty46953 View Post
If this is true, I don't see Colts paying that?

Free-agent CB Byron Jones expected to become highest-paid DB ever next week with deal worth $16-18M a year, per @TomPelissero
Yeah if that’s true then they’ll pass and I won’t blame them.
Old 03-11-2020, 02:25 PM

I don't think we are going after Rivers....I think JMV's "colts insider" source is solid. I think it's more likely we use one of our 2nd Round picks and draft a "developmental" QB and start the season with JB. Whether we finish the season with JB is a function of Frank's QB whisperer prowess and Ballard's ability to find a diamond that others miss (a la the maniac). The thing that changes this scenario is if Tommy Terrific goes to Las Vegas (unlikely IMHO), then I think we get in on the Carr sweepstakes, but probably loose out to someone who doesn't care about getting value in contracts.

The rest of the draft is BPA with a focus on both lines....necessary depth....and a WR with a later pick.

I heard a national guy (forget who) say that Colts and Giants are the top suitors for Clowney.....I think the Giants will write a bigger check and get him if he hits the market.