ColtFreaks.com - Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum   ColtFreaks.com Home Page

Go Back   ColtFreaks.com - Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum > Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum > Indianapolis Colts Discussion
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Old 03-20-2018, 01:27 PM
testcase448

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dam8610 View Post
I'd rather take a chance on a player who clearly has talent and one perceived flaw.
"one perceived flaw"

They aren't "perceived" and there are at least two, one on the end of each of his arms.

Then there is the blocking thing... that makes three.

They let all this "talent" go after trying to fix these "perceived" problems. A 25 year old first round with lots of talent
Old 03-20-2018, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcubed View Post
Its not wasting luck, he needs time to build a good team. It is what it is.

Grigson tried to go for it quick when we had early success and that ultimately failed. Sure that was in large part due to inept coaching, but its still not a good strategy.

QBs are playing much longer into their careers. If ballard can build a sustained winner for a decade, then I will give him this upfront time to build that.
There is plenty of space between Grigsons approach and Ballard’s. I’m not advocating a spending spree for stop gap veterans meant to put the team over a hump. I’m saying there was enough talent in free agency and enough cap space to fill a few holes with above replacement level players. Would you have had to overpay? Absolutely. That’s the nature of free agency. You can’t build a team through it, but you sure as hell can add important pieces to it. Especially when you have the most important piece in place - a franchise QB. This was not the Cleveland Browns. Not when you have Luck in place. I sure as hell hope Luck is as patient with his career and health as you are. He’s going to be throwing 40+ times again next year behind what is at best an inexperienced line (assuming they use their picks there) and at worst another shitty one.
Old 03-20-2018, 01:51 PM
testcase448

Quote:
Originally Posted by rm1369 View Post
There is plenty of space between Grigsons approach and Ballard’s. I’m not advocating a spending spree for stop gap veterans meant to put the team over a hump. I’m saying there was enough talent in free agency and enough cap space to fill a few holes with above replacement level players. Would you have had to overpay? Absolutely. That’s the nature of free agency. You can’t build a team through it, but you sure as hell can add important pieces to it. Especially when you have the most important piece in place - a franchise QB. This was not the Cleveland Browns. Not when you have Luck in place. I sure as hell hope Luck is as patient with his career and health as you are. He’s going to be throwing 40+ times again next year behind what is at best an inexperienced line (assuming they use their picks there) and at worst another shitty one.
My complaint isn't not signing and over paying other people's free agents. It's letting players go that were likely better than they're bringing in creating new holes in this swiss cheese franchise

Last edited by testcase448; 03-20-2018 at 09:10 PM.
Old 03-20-2018, 03:01 PM

Thanked 1,099 Times in 497 Posts

I don't think it's at all ridiculous to question Ballard this offseason. He's made some good decisions, I haven't completely written him off. But he's also

- cut Vontae Davis for some reason
- cut John Hankins for some reason
- ignored or whiffed on the top OL options in FA two years in a row
- tried to hire a dickhead that we all now universally revile in McDaniels, supposedly after a full year of relationship building

To me those are not winning moves. I'm happy with the extra draft picks, but I'm not thrilled that the FA strategy is going to force the team to target certain positions in the draft based on roster need. It wasn't necessary.

And it's clear Ballard knows the OL isn't good enough. He wouldn't have tried to get Norwell, Jensen, or Pugh if he thought otherwise. But he couldn't close any of those despite the most cap space we've ever had as a team.

Yeah it's too early to say Ballard is a clown, that he sucks, that he should be fired. But there's plenty of reason to question his decision-making. I've said from the beginning I'd trust him until he gave me a reason not to, and he's now given Colts fans multiple reasons to at least wonder about his judgement.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to FatDT For This Useful Post:
IndyNorm (03-20-2018), omahacolt (03-20-2018)
Old 03-20-2018, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by testcase448 View Post
My complaint isn't not signing and over paying other people's free gents. It's letting players go that were likely better than they're bringing in creating new holes in this swiss cheese franchise
I have much less issue with not resigning Melvin than you seem to, but I was absolutely livid at the Haskins release. Melvin wanted a big payday after one big year and that’s risky. I get it. But we’ve also done jack shit to try to fill that or any other hole through free agency. And then went and created another hole on the DL because the coaching staff can’t figure out how to use one of the few above average players the D actually has. All to save some money that they have absolutely no intention of spending. And there is no one left to spend it on even if they wanted to.

I sure hope Hooker and Wilson match up to the teams ideal visions for their positions. Hate to seem them cut for not matching up. Sound ridiculous? Absolutely, but is the Haskins release really significantly different? I don’t think so.

Last edited by rm1369; 03-20-2018 at 03:22 PM.
Old 03-20-2018, 03:47 PM

Thanked 1,477 Times in 815 Posts

Quote:
Sorry, autocorrect catches the names often. Ebron has repeatedly been Enron to if I don’t catch it.

So expressing an opinion is being whiny? Understood. I guess this whole fucking forum was whiny about Grigson. And Pagano. I’m expressing an opinion. I assume you don’t like it. But I’m going to state it again....
sounds whiny
The Following User Says Thank You to rcubed For This Useful Post:
Butter (03-20-2018)
Old 03-20-2018, 03:48 PM

Thanked 1,477 Times in 815 Posts

Quote:
I dont completely disagree. All I really wanted two OL signed in FA and hoping norwell was one. A decent LB would have been nice.
Old 03-20-2018, 04:36 PM

Quote:
sounds whiny
I prefer bitchy to whiny. Would more cursing help?
Old 03-20-2018, 04:59 PM

Quote:
I dont completely disagree. All I really wanted two OL signed in FA and hoping norwell was one. A decent LB would have been nice.
Signing some OL help would have been ideal. I hate the idea of putting more rookies in front of Luck and hoping they get it and jell. But after two free agent periods of Ballard running things that seems to be the only option left for fixing the line this year.

I’ve been against using a high draft pick on a guard, but at this point they might as well - they’ll have a high pick again next year. Maybe then they can address more impact positions like pass rusher. I’ll admit before hand that I’m going to lose my shit if they end up with Barkley. I’d have lost all faith in Ballard at that point.
Old 03-20-2018, 09:12 PM

Thanked 2,250 Times in 1,174 Posts

I am more ok with a guard at 6 than I was at 3, I will not flip out about Barkley at 6, but I really feel like a team is as well off with RB by committee and using high 1st rounders on many other positions.