ColtFreaks.com - Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum   ColtFreaks.com Home Page

Go Back   ColtFreaks.com - Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum > Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum > Indianapolis Colts Discussion
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Old 09-17-2023, 04:47 PM

Thanked 1,649 Times in 790 Posts
Default Quick Thoughts - Week 2

Not the greatest litmus test in the Texans, but they did what they were supposed to do, so good game.

-Obviously AR is the story. Two weeks in, two injuries, two early exits. Beyond the progress he needs to make as a player... this was always the concern with drafting and building around a running QB. Strong start because of his running. Left the game because of his running. But that's what makes him scary for defenses.

-Minshew's floor as a passer is higher than AR's. He didn't light it up, but he was very efficient. Short-term, we probably have a better chance of winning some games. Long-term, this is not the QB ceiling we want. Good game.

-Zack Moss is a good football player. He's a bowling ball and his vision was a giant improvement. He played more impressive than the 88yds he finished with. He was at 5.5ypc before we told the Texans we were running the clock.

-Offensive line did what they were supposed to. 0 sacks, 0 tfl, 1 QB hit, 126 rush yards, 5.5ypc. Was curious what Will Anderson would do today: glad it was nothing.

-Again hard to grade the receivers because it was such a short-pass, efficiency gameplan outside of the 43yd Mallory catch-and-run. Some drops (like Granson's early) have got to stop.

-Blue tent of death has claimed three offensive contributors in the first two weeks. Concussion protocol annoys me sometimes.

-Front 7 also did what they were supposed to. Again, not the greatest opponent, but if they didn't look great, that would be concerning. 6 sacks, 10tfl, and 9 QB hits is great. So well done.

-DB's aren't there. This is our Achilles' heel. Moore is good, other CB's are not. Need Brents to catch up. Need to rewatch the safeties, but I don't think they were good today, either.

-Stroud showed he could be a pain in our ass going forward. Got a lot of yards when our D softened up with a lead, so not as good as his stat line... but he is a pretty passer.

What else?
The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to ChaosTheory For This Useful Post:
apballin (09-17-2023), BCN#1 (09-18-2023), Chromeburn (09-19-2023), CletusPyle (09-17-2023), Colts And Orioles (09-18-2023), Dewey 5 (09-17-2023), dwilli57 (09-17-2023), Ironshaft (09-17-2023), omahacolt (09-17-2023), Pez (09-18-2023), Spike (09-17-2023), YDFL Commish (09-18-2023), ZionsvilleColtsFan (09-17-2023)
Old 09-17-2023, 04:52 PM

Thanked 4,396 Times in 2,529 Posts

DBs can't tackle for shit. Wrap the guy up instead of trying to knock him around.
CletusPyle (09-17-2023), Indystu2 (09-20-2023), Spike (09-17-2023)
Old 09-17-2023, 05:02 PM

Thanked 4,290 Times in 1,755 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChaosTheory View Post
Not the greatest litmus test in the Texans, but they did what they were supposed to do, so good game.

-Obviously AR is the story. Two weeks in, two injuries, two early exits. Beyond the progress he needs to make as a player... this was always the concern with drafting and building around a running QB. Strong start because of his running. Left the game because of his running. But that's what makes him scary for defenses.

-Minshew's floor as a passer is higher than AR's. He didn't light it up, but he was very efficient. Short-term, we probably have a better chance of winning some games. Long-term, this is not the QB ceiling we want. Good game.

-Zack Moss is a good football player. He's a bowling ball and his vision was a giant improvement. He played more impressive than the 88yds he finished with. He was at 5.5ypc before we told the Texans we were running the clock.

-Offensive line did what they were supposed to. 0 sacks, 0 tfl, 1 QB hit, 126 rush yards, 5.5ypc. Was curious what Will Anderson would do today: glad it was nothing.

-Again hard to grade the receivers because it was such a short-pass, efficiency gameplan outside of the 43yd Mallory catch-and-run. Some drops (like Granson's early) have got to stop.

-Blue tent of death has claimed three offensive contributors in the first two weeks. Concussion protocol annoys me sometimes.

-Front 7 also did what they were supposed to. Again, not the greatest opponent, but if they didn't look great, that would be concerning. 6 sacks, 10tfl, and 9 QB hits is great. So well done.

-DB's aren't there. This is our Achilles' heel. Moore is good, other CB's are not. Need Brents to catch up. Need to rewatch the safeties, but I don't think they were good today, either.

-Stroud showed he could be a pain in our ass going forward. Got a lot of yards when our D softened up with a lead, so not as good as his stat line... but he is a pretty passer.

What else?
good post

i didn't think the dline was that impressive. the should have dominated more imo.

flowers wasn't bad

anderson was giving smith fits at times. not liking that
The Following User Says Thank You to omahacolt For This Useful Post:
daedge (09-18-2023)
Old 09-17-2023, 05:03 PM
Post whore

Thanked 4,808 Times in 2,679 Posts

Secondary was hot garbage.
Old 09-17-2023, 05:07 PM

i will add some things from what i saw

1) really sucks about AR. have to say that is a bit concerning

2) steichen has impressed me with is playcalling

3) stroud looked good. texicans look to have a guy

4) bad day from dayo. a lot of hype on that guy but no production

5) leonard is just a guy. we need to get out of that contract.

6) the oline was a bright spot as well as moss. good hard running. thought he was struggling at the start but really picked it up.

7) ebukam looks like a great pickup. really solid day. was not happy with the dline overall though. they should have destroyed these guys. and they did somewhat but i was expecting more dominance

8) baker has to go. dude was trash

9) jt will feast in this offense
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to omahacolt For This Useful Post:
BCN#1 (09-18-2023), CletusPyle (09-17-2023), Dewey 5 (09-17-2023), Ironshaft (09-17-2023), JAFF (09-19-2023), Pez (09-18-2023), Racehorse (09-17-2023), Spike (09-17-2023), YDFL Commish (09-17-2023)
Old 09-17-2023, 05:08 PM

Thanked 2,635 Times in 1,553 Posts

I know a few of us on the board (including myself) have been critical of Alec Pierce, but as soon as Minshew came in he immediately passed to Pierce and found him again for a good gain later in the game....so it may be that Alec is getting open, but AR just may be overlooking him.

I had high hopes for Pierce and have so far been disappointed, I had just assumed he was not getting separation, but in fairness to him, that may not be the case.

Excellent game points and summary!
Pez (09-18-2023), Spike (09-17-2023)
Old 09-17-2023, 05:25 PM

Thanked 2,430 Times in 1,092 Posts

Dayo was the one who punched out the first fumble.
Old 09-17-2023, 05:33 PM

Thanked 2,253 Times in 1,213 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by omahacolt View Post
i will add some things from what i saw

1) really sucks about AR. have to say that is a bit concerning

2) steichen has impressed me with is playcalling

3) stroud looked good. texicans look to have a guy

4) bad day from dayo. a lot of hype on that guy but no production

5) leonard is just a guy. we need to get out of that contract.

6) the oline was a bright spot as well as moss. good hard running. thought he was struggling at the start but really picked it up.

7) ebukam looks like a great pickup. really solid day. was not happy with the dline overall though. they should have destroyed these guys. and they did somewhat but i was expecting more dominance

8) baker has to go. dude was trash

9) jt will feast in this offense
I really agree on the Baker comment. Dude cant cover anybody.
Old 09-17-2023, 06:31 PM

Thanked 1,649 Times in 790 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by omahacolt View Post
good post

i didn't think the dline was that impressive. the should have dominated more imo.

flowers wasn't bad

anderson was giving smith fits at times. not liking that
I'll have to pay attention to Flowers and Smith on rewatch. I only remember the Texans' one QB hit was from Anderson.

Another thing I wanted to point out...

-The first drive of the game with AR was the best looking Colts drive I remember from the past several games. Very encouraging. The fact that Steichen was able to adjust the calls for Minshew was impressive.
The Following User Says Thank You to ChaosTheory For This Useful Post:
Racehorse (09-17-2023)
Old 09-17-2023, 07:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldcolt View Post
Dayo was the one who punched out the first fumble.
was he? thats all he did
The Following User Says Thank You to omahacolt For This Useful Post:
albany ed (09-19-2023)