ColtFreaks.com - Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum   ColtFreaks.com Home Page

Go Back   ColtFreaks.com - Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum > Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum > Indianapolis Colts Discussion
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Old 01-08-2023, 10:58 PM

Thanked 1,899 Times in 926 Posts
Default Most disappointing season.

I’ve been a fan since I was 15 years old, the season Harbaugh took us to the AFCCG and this has been, by far, the most disappointing season for me.

From Sanchez getting hurt before the season to JT and Leonard fighting injuries all year to Matt Ryan being washed up to the complete collapse of the offensive line, it’s just been one pile of dog turds after another.

Sprinkle in Jim suddenly morphing into his old man and meddling with everything and the future looks really bleak to me.

I know things can change in a heartbeat in the nfl but I feel like this franchise is completely rudderless right now. Like there’s no plan in place and no inclination to develop one.

Someone talk me off the ledge.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hoopsdoc For This Useful Post:
nate505 (01-09-2023), omahacolt (01-14-2023)
Old 01-08-2023, 11:50 PM
Post whore

Thanked 2,514 Times in 1,415 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoopsdoc View Post
I’ve been a fan since I was 15 years old, the season Harbaugh took us to the AFCCG and this has been, by far, the most disappointing season for me.

From Sanchez getting hurt before the season to JT and Leonard fighting injuries all year to Matt Ryan being washed up to the complete collapse of the offensive line, it’s just been one pile of dog turds after another.

Sprinkle in Jim suddenly morphing into his old man and meddling with everything and the future looks really bleak to me.

I know things can change in a heartbeat in the nfl but I feel like this franchise is completely rudderless right now. Like there’s no plan in place and no inclination to develop one.

Someone talk me off the ledge.
Ive got cookies, stick around
The Following User Says Thank You to JAFF For This Useful Post:
Hoopsdoc (01-09-2023)
Old 01-09-2023, 12:09 AM

Thanked 2,536 Times in 1,488 Posts

I don't know if this is the worst season I remember. The 1991 1-15 Colts with Jeff George as a starting QB comes to mind (though I get that's before your time).

But it's about as bad as I've felt as a Colts fan in ages. Even more so than the Brissett season or the years between Harbaugh and Manning.
Old 01-09-2023, 12:43 AM

Thanked 1,324 Times in 748 Posts

There have certainly been worse seasons: the 1-15 '91 season that Nate mentioned and the Peytonless '11 season obviously come to mind.

But I would have to agree that this was the most disappointing. That I can remember anyway, going back to the '80s. We went into the season as the favorites to win the division and a trendy dark horse to make it to the Superbowl, and instead of that we got a full on dumpster fire shit show.

The other season that comes to mind that's IMO close to this one as far as disappointment was '01. It was Peyton's 4th year and we were coming off back to back playoff appearances (although underachieved in '00). We started out the season with 2 blowout wins @ NYJ and vs. Buff then went 4-12 after that, which included 4 blowout losses: 2x vs. the Cheats, at MIA on MNF, and at the Rams. A difference there is that it felt like it was more of a speed bump along the way instead of what's hopefully rock bottom.

Another more recent season that wasn't as bad as this year but was still really disappointing was '15. We were coming off being in the AFCCG and had on paper won the offseason with a ton of big FA additions, so it seemed like we were ready to take that next step. But we started out like shit, got Luck seriously injured twice and on the IR, and ended up 8-8.

Last edited by IndyNorm; 01-09-2023 at 08:13 PM.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to IndyNorm For This Useful Post:
apballin (01-09-2023), Hoopsdoc (01-09-2023), nate505 (01-09-2023), Racehorse (01-09-2023)
Old 01-09-2023, 02:35 PM

I am disappointed in the season, but that is because i actually think we have a nucleus of really good players, and are not far off from competing for the Superbowl.

Ryan was meant to put us over the edge, but instead, the offensive line just collapsed like a pack of cards, giving any QB no chance. I am not about to say i want Ryan next year, but i am not convinced he played quite as badly as maybe some have said. I don't think Mahomes, Allen etc, could do much behind the offensive line we had.

Even yesterday when Smith went out and again we trotted out Pryor, the pass protection was awful. Although I thought the protection generally yesterday wasn't too bad.

The offensive line has meant the offense generally has been playing with one arm behind their backs for most of the year.

I certainly don't think that we need a complete overhaul. We do need to draft/pick up in free agency, a swing tackle high in the draft, and probably a couple of interior offensive linemen, who are going to seriously push for playing time.
The Following User Says Thank You to ukcolt For This Useful Post:
Racehorse (01-09-2023)
Old 01-09-2023, 04:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ukcolt View Post
I am disappointed in the season, but that is because i actually think we have a nucleus of really good players, and are not far off from competing for the Superbowl.

Ryan was meant to put us over the edge, but instead, the offensive line just collapsed like a pack of cards, giving any QB no chance. I am not about to say i want Ryan next year, but i am not convinced he played quite as badly as maybe some have said. I don't think Mahomes, Allen etc, could do much behind the offensive line we had.

Even yesterday when Smith went out and again we trotted out Pryor, the pass protection was awful. Although I thought the protection generally yesterday wasn't too bad.

The offensive line has meant the offense generally has been playing with one arm behind their backs for most of the year.

I certainly don't think that we need a complete overhaul. We do need to draft/pick up in free agency, a swing tackle high in the draft, and probably a couple of interior offensive linemen, who are going to seriously push for playing time.
While I agree that the offensive line did Ryan no favors, I still don’t want him back next year.

If I had to choose, I’d actually take Foles back over Ryan.

Ryan’s arm is fried. He’s done.
The Following User Says Thank You to Hoopsdoc For This Useful Post:
Racehorse (01-09-2023)
Old 01-09-2023, 05:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAFF View Post
The hell with it, i'm right behind you, JUMP, JUMP !!!!!
The Following User Says Thank You to njcoltfan For This Useful Post:
JAFF (01-10-2023)
Old 01-09-2023, 06:52 PM

My timeline is essentially identical but I’m your junior by 8 or 9 years.

I will say that 11 wasn’t this depressing because I felt like towards the end of that season, the team did establish some flow. They ended better than they started, and I still remember Wayne’s game winner vs Houston and Brown’s 80 yarder vs Tennessee. It was a lame year but it finished better than it started.

This year is the first year I ever remember just wanting it to end. I didn’t want an L to end it, and I was rooting for Saturday, but thank the universe, god, Christ, whatever - I’m thankful it’s over.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mr. Session For This Useful Post:
Hoopsdoc (01-09-2023), Racehorse (01-09-2023)
Old 01-09-2023, 06:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAFF View Post
Ugh…oatmeal?
Old 01-09-2023, 07:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Session View Post
My timeline is essentially identical but I’m your junior by 8 or 9 years.

I will say that 11 wasn’t this depressing because I felt like towards the end of that season, the team did establish some flow. They ended better than they started, and I still remember Wayne’s game winner vs Houston and Brown’s 80 yarder vs Tennessee. It was a lame year but it finished better than it started.

This year is the first year I ever remember just wanting it to end. I didn’t want an L to end it, and I was rooting for Saturday, but thank the universe, god, Christ, whatever - I’m thankful it’s over.
Good point. That team finished stronger than it started.

Plus, Andrew Luck was waiting in the wings and the Colts were in the enviable position of choosing between two generational talents at quarterback once they secured the first overall pick.

This season started out awful in Houston and has just gone downhill since then.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Hoopsdoc For This Useful Post:
apballin (01-09-2023), Mr. Session (01-10-2023), Racehorse (01-09-2023)