ColtFreaks.com - Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum   ColtFreaks.com Home Page

Go Back   ColtFreaks.com - Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum > Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum > Indianapolis Colts Discussion
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Old 01-18-2023, 06:14 PM

Thanked 4,290 Times in 1,755 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by YDFL Commish View Post
I don't prescribe to the theory that OSU can't produce a good QB, because of past failures.

But I do prescribe to the theory that somehow we are cursed with Ohio State players. This goes all the way back to Schlicther and continues with Quitcock, Doss, Gonzalez, Lewis, Campbell, Hooker, Mewhort, Hartsock. Did I miss anyone?
Doss will always be a legend.
Old 01-18-2023, 06:46 PM

Thanked 2,253 Times in 1,213 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by omahacolt View Post
Doss will always be a legend.
Only in your mind.
The Following User Says Thank You to YDFL Commish For This Useful Post:
Dam8610 (01-19-2023)
Old 01-18-2023, 10:48 PM
Historian

Thanked 3,270 Times in 2,017 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAFF View Post

I dont agree with that. When Joe Tiller showed up for Purdue, he brought the idea of basket ball on grass and he recruited Qbs that could execute this game plan. He found fast skinny kids who could catch and run, even if it was on the back canvas

What do they do well in Wisconsin? Run the ball. They recruit guys who are as wide as they are tall and block the hell out of the opposing D. The weather is cold and snowy and a good running game doesnt care about the weather.

For years Fisher De Barry ran the wishbone/wingbone, and won a ton of games. He didnt have the biggest, or the fastest, but he more often than not, he had the smartest. They ran the ball on everyone. A smart Qb made the D wrong, and put the ball where it needed to go. Navy just finished a 10 year plus of competitive football letting smart guys think.

Winning teams have winning plans. If I’m USC, passing is going to a big part of my offense. If I’m Nebraska, I going back to recruiting and building my team from home grown talent and getting them into the weight room. Go back to getting the best talent from Dakotas and Wyoming. Then line up and run the ball.

o

Also, Jimmy Johnson when he was at Miami-Fla.

Johnson converted defensive backs into linebackers, and converted linebackers into linemen ...... the result was that he had smaller, more athletic players that were a big part of the continuation of the perennial powerhouse that Howard Schellenberger started before Johnson got there.

To a certain degree, Tony Dungy did that when he coached in the pros ...... when asked about having a disadvantage in size because some of his players were smaller/lighter than usual, Dungy said "Give me the athletes."

But the examples that you gave (and the one that I added to what you were saying) were not necessarily in the same context of what I was alluding to. Those were all examples of success within coaching systems and coaching philosophies, something that is unquestionably factual (such as the philosophies and success of NFL coaches like Bill Parcells, Bill Walsh, Vince Lombardi, and Bill Belichick) ....... the "thing" that I was referring to was more that of the presumption of failure, like the presumption that a position-player is necessarily doomed to fail in the pros because very few players from the college that he attended ever succeeded at his given position.

o

Bert Jones, Johnny Unitas, Earl Morrall ))))))))).lll) Jim Harbaugh, Peyton Manning, Andrew Luck
The Following User Says Thank You to Colts And Orioles For This Useful Post:
JAFF (01-18-2023)