ColtFreaks.com - Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum   ColtFreaks.com Home Page

Go Back   ColtFreaks.com - Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum > Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum > Indianapolis Colts Discussion
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Old 01-29-2022, 11:39 AM
Historian

Thanked 3,270 Times in 2,017 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colts And Orioles View Post
o

I wanted Wentz over Darnold, and it wasn't close.

In spite of what wound up being a disastrous final 2 games of 2021, I still have some hope that Wentz will have a better season in 2022 after having gotten a year of experience under his belt playing with his new team.

o

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndyNorm View Post

Funny, I was going to post that in hindsight I'd still have rather us traded for Darnold b/c the Panthers only had to give up a 6th for him. I googled to double-check that I was right on the round, and it turns out that the Jets gave up a 2nd and 4th pick in this year's draft, in addition to the 6th-rounder in 2021. I'm not sure that we got the "better" deal, but the Panthers definitely got fleeced also.

o

My wanting Wentz over Darnold was strictly based on whom I thought was the better quarterback, regardless of the picks given up. Even though Darnold was playing for a largely over-matched Jets team in his first 3 seasons in the league between 2018 and 2020, I felt that Wentz had considerably more tools and overall ability than Darnold ...... now that we're in the position in which it is highly likely that Wentz will be the Colts' starting quarterback for at least one more season, I'm just hoping that he will finally start playing like the quarterback that we saw play for the Eagles in the 2017 and 2018 seasons, when he had a combined 54 TD passes to only 14 INT's and a completion percentage of 69.6% in the latter season.

o

Bert Jones, Johnny Unitas, Earl Morrall ))))))))).lll) Jim Harbaugh, Peyton Manning, Andrew Luck
Old 01-29-2022, 01:24 PM
Doom -N- Gloom

Thanked 1,138 Times in 645 Posts

Problem is Wentz got worse as the season went along

Not a good sign going into next season, blame Covid blame your ankles blame whatever he rode Taylor for most of our victories and made critical mistakes in huge games
Old 01-29-2022, 03:04 PM

Thanked 1,329 Times in 751 Posts

Quote:
o

My wanting Wentz over Darnold was strictly based on whom I thought was the better quarterback, regardless of the picks given up. Even though Darnold was playing for a largely over-matched Jets team in his first 3 seasons in the league between 2018 and 2020, I felt that Wentz had considerably more tools and overall ability than Darnold ...... now that we're in the position in which it is highly likely that Wentz will be the Colts' starting quarterback for at least one more season, I'm just hoping that he will finally start playing like the quarterback that we saw play for the Eagles in the 2017 and 2018 seasons, when he had a combined 54 TD passes to only 14 INT's and a completion percentage of 69.6% in the latter season.

o
Yeah, I knew what you meant, and I agree Wentz is better than Darnold. But that's like saying cheap, expired hot dogs taste better than dog turds.

Also, everyone seems to think that Wentz was good until the final 2 games of the year, but for the most part he was bad the final 10 games of the season. It just got overlooked since we won a lot of those games with JT and the running game steam rolling the opponents run D. Here's a quick synopsis of Wentz over the last 10 games and a grade for fun:

vs. Tenn - Stastically Wentz was ok: 27/51 for 231, 3/2 TD/Int. But he cost us the game with his butt fumble moment (left handed pick 6) and his pick in OT while forcing a throw into double coverage. - F

vs. NYJ - No complaints. We completely overwhelmed a really bad team on a short week, where the Jets looked about as prepared as we do when we travel to Jax. It did help our cause when their backup QB coming off a hot performance and win against the Bungles went down with an injury early in the game. Also, statistically Wentz's best game of the year 22/30 for 272 and 3/0. - A

vs. Jax - Pretty mediocre performance by us all around. Our O went completely stagnant after going up 17-0 (7 of which was from a block punt returned for a TD) with Wentz being very much a part of that. 22/34 for 180 and 0/0. - D

@ Buf - The best game of the year overall by the team, but Wentz didn't really do much other than hand off to JT. 11/20 for 106 1/0. Most of his yards and his TD went to dump offs to JT, which is ironic since if he wouldn't have completely abandoned dumping the ball off to the RB at the end of the season we probably are in the playoffs and everyone's pitch forks are not pointed at him. - C

vs. TB - A tale of two halves. Wentz was great in the 1st half but sucked in the 2nd with 3 turnovers including underthrowing Pittman in single coverage that led to a pick instead of a probable TD which completely shifted the game. - C- (A for the first half, F for the 2nd, and minus b/c we lost).

@ Hou - We rode JT's legs and our best defensive performance in years to a blowout win against a really bad team. Wentz was ok 16/22 for 156 and 1/0 as he at least managed the game well. - B

vs. NE - We rode the running game, turnovers, and a blocked punt to the win. Wentz was 5/12 for 57 and 1/1. The TD was really a handoff to Hines on the Indy special, and the pick was unbelievably bad as it came on an RPO where rather than hand the ball off to JT with ungodly amounts of free running room in front of him Wentz kept it and forced a throw into triple coverage. That play turned the game from a blowout to a nail biter and very well could have cost us the game - D

@ AZ - Wentz's inconsistency was on full display. He was ok in the first half and great in the 4th quarter. What a lot of us have tended to forget was how bad he was in the 3Q: missing open receivers, holding onto the ball too long, and making bad decisions. If he had actually played ok in the 3rd quarter there wouldn't have been any need for heriocs in the 4th. Statistically a pretty decent game too 18/28 for 225 and 2/0 - B+

vs. LV - The first of the 2 game epic collapse. Wentz went 16/27 for 148 and 1/0. For most of the game he couldn't hit an open receiver to save his life and 45 of those yards and the 1 TD were b/c of a the LV CB popping up a sure fire pick that went straight to TY in the end zone. F+ (plus b/c it was of all of the COVID shit going on with the team)

@Jax - We've beat this one to death. One of the worst QB performances in the NFL this year in one of the worst losses in Colts franchise history. - F------------
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to IndyNorm For This Useful Post:
ChoppedWood (01-30-2022), Chromeburn (01-30-2022), Racehorse (01-29-2022)
Old 01-29-2022, 03:05 PM

Thanked 1,329 Times in 751 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by apballin View Post
Problem is Wentz got worse as the season went along

Not a good sign going into next season, blame Covid blame your ankles blame whatever he rode Taylor for most of our victories and made critical mistakes in huge games
I wonder if his ego started to get the best of him too with JT getting all of the good pub, since Wentz completely abandoned throwing the ball to JT down the stretch.
The Following User Says Thank You to IndyNorm For This Useful Post:
Racehorse (01-29-2022)
Old 01-29-2022, 07:26 PM
Doom -N- Gloom

Thanked 1,138 Times in 645 Posts

Quote:
I wonder if his ego started to get the best of him too with JT getting all of the good pub, since Wentz completely abandoned throwing the ball to JT down the stretch.
I’m not sure but I know after Covid dude played like flat shit
Old 01-29-2022, 09:00 PM
Post whore

Thanked 2,514 Times in 1,415 Posts

Quote:
I’m not sure but I know after Covid dude played like flat shit
That would include some of the offensive line
Old 01-30-2022, 11:11 AM

Thanked 2,430 Times in 1,092 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAFF View Post
That would include some of the offensive line
The further away from the end of the season I get the more I am convinced that COVID was a major culprit in this downfall. Almost every person I know who had COVID took months to get back completely physically and the vast majority have a mental fog for a few weeks. Neither of those is conducive to winning in the NFL.
Old 01-30-2022, 12:24 PM
Historian

Quote:

I’m not sure ...... but I know that after COVID, the dude played like flat shit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAFF View Post

That would include some of the offensive line.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldcolt View Post

The further away from the end of the season I get, the more I am convinced that COVID was a major culprit in this downfall. Almost every person I know who had COVID took months to get back completely physically, and the vast majority had a mental fog for a few weeks ...... neither of those factors/symptoms is conducive to winning in the NFL.

o

Something similar happened to Cam Newton last season, although he seemed to only be affected for 3 weeks (2 games, plus the week/game that he missed for getting COVID in the first place) before getting back on track ...... and if that is indeed the case (and especially if Wentz was affected for an even longer period of time than was Cam Newton last season), then my hopes for seeing the quarterback that we saw play for the Eagles in the 2017 and 2018 seasons when he had a combined 54 TD passes to only 14 INT's and a completion percentage of 69.6% in the latter season will be moderately higher than they currently are.

o

Bert Jones, Johnny Unitas, Earl Morrall ))))))))).lll) Jim Harbaugh, Peyton Manning, Andrew Luck
The Following User Says Thank You to Colts And Orioles For This Useful Post:
Oldcolt (01-30-2022)
Old 01-30-2022, 01:17 PM
Historian

Quote:
o

Something similar happened to Cam Newton last season, although he seemed to only be affected for 3 weeks (2 games, plus the week/game that he missed for getting COVID in the first place) before getting back on track ...... and if that is indeed the case (and especially if Wentz was affected for an even longer period of time than was Cam Newton last season), then my hopes for seeing the quarterback that we saw play for the Eagles in the 2017 and 2018 seasons when he had a combined 54 TD passes to only 14 INT's and a completion percentage of 69.6% in the latter season will be moderately higher than they currently are.

o
o

Yes, I'm reaching ...... I'm a Colts fan.

Just prior to the start of the 2011 season when it was announced that Peyton Manning would be out for the entire year with a neck injury, I wanted to believe that Kerry Collins would step in and lead the team to a Super Bowl appearance in a similar fashion that MVP Earl Morrall did in 1968 when Johnny Unitas missed almost the entire season with a shoulder injury ...... and we all saw how that 2011 season played out.

o

Old 01-30-2022, 06:10 PM
Post whore

Thanked 3,682 Times in 2,058 Posts

Quote:
It’s possible. He certainly wasn’t holding up his part of the bargain. His 1st down efficiently was awful. Near bottom of the league. Why we had so many 2nd and tens, 3rd and tens. But to be fair, unless it was a screen, he didn’t throw him the ball in the flat. He doesn’t like it, thinks it is giving up on the play. I even remember him throwing deep on a couple screens too. Maybe it was a fake screen but maybe he changed the play.

Wentz also had one of his worst overthrows on a pass to the flat when he was with the eagles. Might be afraid to throw it short. His mechanics are so bad at times, it’s painful to watch. Can’t believe he hasn’t fixed them.
The Following User Says Thank You to Chromeburn For This Useful Post:
Racehorse (01-30-2022)