ColtFreaks.com - Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum   ColtFreaks.com Home Page

Go Back   ColtFreaks.com - Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum > Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum > Indianapolis Colts Discussion

Old 12-01-2018, 11:47 AM

Thanked 4,275 Times in 1,745 Posts
Default Hooker and the defense

So i went back the last few days and did a rewatch of a few games. Just to see at this point in the year, what coverages we were using the most and how Hooker was playing. I didn't find anything profound. pretty much saw what i thought i would.

i kept track of what coverage we were running on a very basic level. either single high or two deep. i didn't really concern myself with what the backers were doing underneath. i did try to distinguish the few times we would go to a cover 6 or cover 4 or something else but we really don't do that much.

VS Phins

-started the game mostly single high. tendency is that we will run a single high between the 20's and get into a cover 2 in the red zone. that was pretty true throughout the game although we did go to cover 2 at times in between the 20s.

-so throughout most of the game, hooker did nothing. not that it is bad. but he just doesn't do anything. did note that while 2 deep, qb draw up the middle and geathers sees it and starts forward to stop tannehill and hooker is still backpedalling. mitchell as well. they get downhill faster than hooker.

- as the game goes on, they aren't challenging deep. so hooker still has nothing to do. which is fine. everything is going underneath.

- on the play where wilson almost gets the pick, that was hookers guy. colts looked to be in cover 6. which is quarter, quarter, half coverage. so wilson and hooker were the half duo. meaning it was like a cover 2 to their side. '

wilson gets depth in his drop and notices nobody was in his zone and shows good awareness to see the wr over the top. he makes a great play on the ball. hooker had good enough coverage that he was either going to knock the ball down or make it be a perfect throw. if wilson doesn't get there, i believe hooker would have defended the pass. although i think that is an int hooker should ideally make there. good play all around though.

- wr screen at one point on 6th drive and hooker seems hesitant to mix it up. looked like he was nervous about all the bodies around. like he is protecting an injury or unsure of himself. that was my note

- td before half, i have no idea what coverage they were in. looked like man but seemed like confusion. which is unusual for the colts.

-made his 1st real tackle in the 3rd quarter i think. that is how much action he doesn't see.

- gore breaks tackles and gets to sideline. hooker looks slow getting there. just doesn't appear to be running right. seems like there is something wrong. which makes sense because he has been missing practice time and game time.

more to come
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to omahacolt For This Useful Post:
1965southpaw (12-02-2018), chicagocolt (12-06-2018), Chromeburn (12-02-2018), FatDT (12-01-2018), HoosierinFL (12-01-2018), nate505 (12-01-2018), Racehorse (12-01-2018), smitty46953 (12-01-2018), Spike (12-01-2018), YDFL Commish (12-01-2018)
Old 12-01-2018, 12:07 PM

colts vs jags

- again another shitty qb so i was curious if we would see the same. and we did. a lot more cover 2 this game but they were in the red zone more it seemed. overall it was single high usually between the 20s and then cover 2 in the red zone

-hooker had a good attack on a wr screen from cover 2. good job by him

- Moncrief td. single high. moore gets beat. hooker has to make that tackle. he misses and it is a long td to crief. just terrible play all around.

-thankfully we don't see that much. teams just dont try us deep much. and that isn't because were are covering their guys so well. they just don't attack us much there.

- one thing that was abundantly clear was the jags, who run a defense similar to ours, had breakdowns in coverage. not just guys getting beat, it was ebron not even being covered. jags do that. colts don't. which really impressed me about our coaching. we may not have the players but they tend to stay in their lane well.

- hooker had a good tackle coming up from cover 2. quick to read it and got there to stop it at about a 4 yard gain.

- right before half, cover 2, bortles had a td due to lazy coverage from hooker imo. thankfully the dline flushed bortles and that he is blake bortles. hooker could have been baiting the throw i guess but he didn't seem concerned about the space he gave the guy.

- another time appeared hesitant to attack a rb who cut up the middle. geathers wasn't.

- thank god for leonard. that dude covers up so many mistakes. people miss tackles and he is right there. he cleans up so much underneath, as well as walker, that the safeties don't have time to get there and stop them.

- a lot of cover 2 in the 4th when the jags were trying to come back. all over the field they wanted both safeties back. makes sense. lbers were deeper as well.

- calais campbell was a fucking game wrecker. we need a dlineman like that.

- overall not much for hooker to do. bad job on that moncrief play.
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to omahacolt For This Useful Post:
chicagocolt (12-06-2018), Chromeburn (12-02-2018), Dewey 5 (12-02-2018), HoosierinFL (12-01-2018), nate505 (12-01-2018), smitty46953 (12-01-2018), YDFL Commish (12-01-2018)
Old 12-01-2018, 12:17 PM

I started watching the pats game but turned it off before half. the idea was to see if our coverage changed depending on a qb that wasnt shitty like tannehill and bortles. we had no healthy corners so it was hard to really get much from it. but i did take a few notes.

- yes seemed to play cover 2. and those dudes were fucking deep.

- gronk ran right behind the backers and in front of hooker for easy completion. playaction brought the lbers up and hooker was 90 yards deep. or something like that.

- hooker did look faster early in the year to me. if that is true or not i don't know but he just looked like he was running smoother if that makes sense.

- hooker fought threw some trash to make a stop. that was nice to see and unusual.

- vinnie always misses in foxborough.

- ball at 20, cover 2, hooker drops all the way to the 50. gronk is the only player near him and he is at the 37 in the exact middle of the field. hooker is nowhere near him or anyone.

nobody covered the rb on a wheel route and brady threw it there down the sideline. he missed the throw because he is an overrated pile of shit.

i wanted to take a picture of this play and post it because i have no idea what the fuck hooker was doing 30 yards deep with nobody near him or threatening that side of the field. we had gronk almost 20 yards downfield with nobody near within 10 yards of him.
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to omahacolt For This Useful Post:
Dewey 5 (12-02-2018), FatDT (12-01-2018), HoosierinFL (12-01-2018), nate505 (12-01-2018), smitty46953 (12-01-2018), VeveJones007 (12-01-2018), YDFL Commish (12-01-2018)
Old 12-01-2018, 02:04 PM

Thanked 2,430 Times in 1,092 Posts

Nice posts Omaha. So what is your final take? Do you think injuries are his issue?

I was wondering your take on cutting Good. We both seemed to like him. He just didn't stay healthy. I feel bad because some of his lost time was to bereavement. I'm hoping he makes it to practice squad but we just may have to much depth (I cannot believe I'm writing that)
Old 12-01-2018, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldcolt View Post
Nice posts Omaha. So what is your final take? Do you think injuries are his issue?

I was wondering your take on cutting Good. We both seemed to like him. He just didn't stay healthy. I feel bad because some of his lost time was to bereavement. I'm hoping he makes it to practice squad but we just may have to much depth (I cannot believe I'm writing that)
I think he is injured, yes. I think he is what he is in this defense. Unless dudes start testing us deep, he will continue not to be a factor. For the most part he is doing an ok job. He will never be an Ed reed or earl thomas type player imo. And if they drop him as deep as they did against the pats, we will he destroyed in the middle of the field. Hopefully that was just because the cb’s were dudes just signed off the street.

The real impact safety is geathers. Or more so that role.

Sucks about Good. I wouldn’t be surprised if he is starting somewhere next year. Could probably start for some teams now. Dude has had some tough breaks. Wish him the best.
The Following User Says Thank You to omahacolt For This Useful Post:
Oldcolt (12-01-2018)
Old 12-01-2018, 04:34 PM

Thanked 2,430 Times in 1,092 Posts

Hooker is young and was tremendous in college and before his injury. I hope he gets close to what he was next year with a full off-season to work. He may never be an Ed Reed but hardly anyone is and hopefully we don’t need that for a good defense. I agree with you about Good. Wish him well
Old 12-02-2018, 10:10 AM

Thanked 1,550 Times in 883 Posts

Omaha, this is from watching the all-22, or the TV feed?
Old 12-02-2018, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMugwump View Post
Omaha, this is from watching the all-22, or the TV feed?
All 22