ColtFreaks.com - Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum   ColtFreaks.com Home Page

Go Back   ColtFreaks.com - Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum > Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum > Indianapolis Colts Discussion

Old 02-14-2018, 11:35 AM

Thanked 2,211 Times in 1,191 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by omahacolt View Post
A true ut? Anderson has played that well. I think Hankins might be able to do it. The dt’s Don’t worry me at all
They don't worry me at all either, in the run game. But for once in my lifetime I would like to start seeing some consistent pressure up the middle.
Old 02-14-2018, 11:52 AM

Thanked 1,099 Times in 497 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by YDFL Commish View Post
They don't worry me at all either, in the run game. But for once in my lifetime I would like to start seeing some consistent pressure up the middle.
As a rookie Anderson was getting close every game, multiple times a game. I am struggling to remember, but I think he was primarily one-gapping at DT, subbing in for that injured fatass from the Ravens that never did anything for us. Injuries, and then playing more at DE once he returned (before getting injured again) derailed his progress. But I think even this past season, before the weird throat injury, that he was coming on and getting into the backfield more.

I think Hunt can provide some valuable snaps in that UT spot as well. I don't see either him or Anderson as an even front DE. Hunt has proven he's not good there, and Anderson has shown too much to not play on the interior.
Old 02-14-2018, 01:10 PM
Post whore

Thanked 1,595 Times in 925 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sherck View Post
4-3 "under" defense

Gap described below:

[C Gap] OT [B Gap] OG [A Gap] OC [A Gap] OG [B Gap] OT [C Gap] TE [D Gap]

Nose Tackle (3-tech shading the inside shoulder of the OG penetrating the strong side A gap demanding the double team):
Jonathan Hankins, Al Woods, Grover Steward

Under Tackle (4-tech heads up on the weak side OG playing typically the weak side B gap between OG and OT):
Henry Anderson, Hassan Ridgeway

Strong Side Defensive End (7/8/9-tech on the OT penetrating either the strong side B or C gap depending on defensive play call):
Jabaal Sheard, Free Agent (Adrian Clayborn, Alex Okafor, Ezekiel Ansah, David Bass)

Weak Side Defensive End (8/9-tech on the OT almost always penetrating the weak side C gap):
Bradley Chubb, Terrell Basham

Strong Side Linebacker (bumping the TE and running with or defending the edge, responsible for the opposite gap (B or C) that the SSDE is not penetrating):
John Simon, Lower Round Draft Pick

Middle Linebacker (Run responsibility is weak-side A gap; must cover the deep middle zone or run with crossing routes):
Free Agent (NaVaro Bowman, Nigel Bradham), Anthony Walker

Weak Side Linebacker (Run stuffing clean-up guy who can set his edge or run all day to contain the backside cut and run down plays from behind):
Free Agent (Anthony Hitchins, Todd Davis), Jeremiah George

Strong Safety (cover TE and run support in the box as needed):
Clayton Geathers, Matthias Farley

Free Safety (Ball hawking deep zone range running all day, baby!):
Malik Hooker, T.J. Green

Cornerbacks (Press coverage, gum flavor tasters who stick with their guy all week long):
Qunicy Wilson, Kenny Moore, Nate Hairston, D.J. White + Free Agent

Tier A = Malcolm Butler, Prince Amukamara
Tier B = Aaron Colvin, Ross Cockrell, Trumaine Johnson, Kyle Fuller
Tier C = Rasaan Melvin

So, in my book in free agency, IF the Colts sign:

1x DE Free Agent (Adrian Clayborn, Alex Okafor, Ezekiel Ansah, David Bass)
1x MLB Free Agent (NaVaro Bowman, Nigel Bradham)
1x WSLB Free Agent (Anthony Hitchins, Todd Davis)
1x CB Free Agent from list above

AND THEN draft Bradley Chubb with the #3 overall pick and a depth SSLB with a 5th/6th/7th round pick

WILL RESULT in a defense that is set with a solid group of folks that can execute this defense. More playmakers will be needed for it to be good but we are not far off being a solid defense in the 4-3.

It is obvious that Ballard knew we were heading this way with player acquisition in 2017. All the free agents fit a 4-3 as well or better than the 3-4 they were signed to play in.

It will be great watching Ballard in free agency because my bet is that he does absolutely nothing like I wrote above for the defense!

Walk Worthy,
Ansah and Bradham should be the team's top priorities in free agency, and Chubb in the draft.

Chubb reminds me of Michael Bennett or Terrell Suggs with better quickness and speed. He's smart, uses technique and moves to beat people as well as pure talent, and like Bennett can take over a game (watch the FSU tape, he completely dominated their offense all game). He also doesn't quit on plays and is very much a high effort player, never see him take a play off.
Old 02-14-2018, 07:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dam8610 View Post
Ansah and Bradham should be the team's top priorities in free agency, and Chubb in the draft.

Chubb reminds me of Michael Bennett or Terrell Suggs with better quickness and speed. He's smart, uses technique and moves to beat people as well as pure talent, and like Bennett can take over a game (watch the FSU tape, he completely dominated their offense all game). He also doesn't quit on plays and is very much a high effort player, never see him take a play off.
What, and ignore the O-Line again? Go get Norwell ASAP.
Old 02-14-2018, 08:52 PM
Post whore

Quote:
What, and ignore the O-Line again? Go get Norwell ASAP.
There's $80 million of cap space, not many free agents to retain, and some contracts that can be trimmed off the books. Who said these things were mutually exclusive?
Old 02-14-2018, 09:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dam8610 View Post
There's $80 million of cap space, not many free agents to retain, and some contracts that can be trimmed off the books. Who said these things were mutually exclusive?

Nope, not mutually exclusive. Top priority if FA should be OL who can protect Luck.

Top priority in the draft should be guys who can put the other SOB QB on his ass.
Old 02-14-2018, 09:51 PM
Post whore

Quote:
Nope, not mutually exclusive. Top priority if FA should be OL who can protect Luck.

Top priority in the draft should be guys who can put the other SOB QB on his ass.
My opinion is you take pass rushers wherever you can find them and prioritize them over almost anything. Ansah is the best pass rusher that will potentially hit the market (Lawrence will get franchised). For me, priority list is:

1) Franchise QB
2) Guys who get to the other QB
3) Guys who protect franchise QB

Especially if the offense is designed to get the ball out quickly, which Reich's is.
Old 02-14-2018, 11:10 PM

Thanked 1,099 Times in 497 Posts

We can afford two new starters on the OL, a pass rusher, and we will still have lots of money left over.
Old 02-15-2018, 09:44 AM

Thanked 1,189 Times in 523 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by FatDT View Post
We can afford two new starters on the OL, a pass rusher, and we will still have lots of money left over.
There are some interesting names to sign in free agency at OT.

The sure-fire stater is Nate Solder (NE) who had a down year in Cheater land in 2017. He has thrown together a good career and is only 29 so I suspect he would be good for a 3/4 year contract. If signed, let him and 'Stanzo duke it out for LT duties while the loser slides to RT.

Behind Solder, there are a couple of guys who have not been full-time starters that I would be interested in seeing if they are better options than Good or Reitz.

Cameron Flemming, NE
Chris Hubbard, PIT
cornelius Lucas, LAR
Austin Pasztor, ATL
Seantrel Hendersen, BUF

Pasztor was a full time starter prior to being on IR in 2017. All the rest have only been depth or part time starters due to injury at this point.

NE is only $17m under the cap with two OTs hitting free agency. My guess is that only one will be re-signed so we could have a shot at either Solder or Flemming which would be great.

PIT is only $6m under the cap with the decision on RB Bell to make. Hubbard might also hit the market which is great because of the guys available, Solder, Flemming and Hubbard are my top guys.

OG? Yeah, I have not looked at them yet but I am under the impression that there are a ton of guys there with good skillsets.

So, in my perfect world, we sign:

1x OT (Solder, Flemming, Hubbard)
1x OG (starter level FA from another team)
1x OG Jack Mewhort

and then draft in 3rd or 4th round 1x O-Linemen to add to the mix

retain 'Stanzo, Kelly, Haeg, Good and Bond/Person.

That is 9 bodies with Haeg, Good, Bond/Person and the rookie being the depth guys behind 'Stanzo, Kelly, Mewhort and the 2x free agents.

That is very doable.....along with signing defensive free agents to help the transition to the 4-3 and a few offensive skill players (WR, RB) to add to the mix.

Walk Worthy,
Old 02-15-2018, 12:50 PM
Post whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by sherck View Post
There are some interesting names to sign in free agency at OT.

The sure-fire stater is Nate Solder (NE) who had a down year in Cheater land in 2017. He has thrown together a good career and is only 29 so I suspect he would be good for a 3/4 year contract. If signed, let him and 'Stanzo duke it out for LT duties while the loser slides to RT.

Behind Solder, there are a couple of guys who have not been full-time starters that I would be interested in seeing if they are better options than Good or Reitz.

Cameron Flemming, NE
Chris Hubbard, PIT
cornelius Lucas, LAR
Austin Pasztor, ATL
Seantrel Hendersen, BUF

Pasztor was a full time starter prior to being on IR in 2017. All the rest have only been depth or part time starters due to injury at this point.

NE is only $17m under the cap with two OTs hitting free agency. My guess is that only one will be re-signed so we could have a shot at either Solder or Flemming which would be great.

PIT is only $6m under the cap with the decision on RB Bell to make. Hubbard might also hit the market which is great because of the guys available, Solder, Flemming and Hubbard are my top guys.

OG? Yeah, I have not looked at them yet but I am under the impression that there are a ton of guys there with good skillsets.

So, in my perfect world, we sign:

1x OT (Solder, Flemming, Hubbard)
1x OG (starter level FA from another team)
1x OG Jack Mewhort

and then draft in 3rd or 4th round 1x O-Linemen to add to the mix

retain 'Stanzo, Kelly, Haeg, Good and Bond/Person.

That is 9 bodies with Haeg, Good, Bond/Person and the rookie being the depth guys behind 'Stanzo, Kelly, Mewhort and the 2x free agents.

That is very doable.....along with signing defensive free agents to help the transition to the 4-3 and a few offensive skill players (WR, RB) to add to the mix.

Walk Worthy,
I'd target Fleming and the guard from Carolina, but they'd be lower priority to me than Ansah and Bradham.