ColtFreaks.com - Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum   ColtFreaks.com Home Page

Go Back   ColtFreaks.com - Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum > Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum > Indianapolis Colts Discussion

Old 02-07-2018, 08:45 PM

Thanked 1,114 Times in 612 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sherck View Post
Good reminder of the Tampa-2 (located here).
Key quote:

I hate getting run on.

Walk Worthy,
The Bears didn’t. Ballard’s version would have bigger, stronger athletes. Just look at Sheard, Hankins, etc.
Old 02-07-2018, 08:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FatDT View Post
Anyone have details on the Dallas defense from the last two seasons? That is probably the closest approximation to what we can expect here. I find it hard to believe it's that close to a pure Tampa 2 base.
Bears ran zone about 40-50% of the time under Lovie/Marinelli. I would imagine the Cowboys were about the same.
The Following User Says Thank You to VeveJones007 For This Useful Post:
FatDT (02-07-2018)
Old 02-07-2018, 09:30 PM

Thanked 1,099 Times in 497 Posts

I still think there’s a good chance we see some Ryan concepts creep in, especially once the roster shakes out and the guys get more experience in the system. If Everfuzz is as a good as advertised he’ll continually adapt scheme to fit the roster.
Old 02-07-2018, 09:30 PM

Thanked 4,275 Times in 1,745 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sherck View Post
Good reminder of the Tampa-2 (located here).
Key quote:

I hate getting run on.

Walk Worthy,
But Dungy actually had a year where the heaviest dude on the line was freeney
Old 02-07-2018, 09:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by omahacolt View Post
But Dungy actually had a year where the heaviest dude on the line was freeney
Was that the year Keyunta Dawson started?
Old 02-07-2018, 09:32 PM

Thanked 4,275 Times in 1,745 Posts

Quote:
Was that the year Keyunta Dawson started?
Yeah. Him and Eric foster right?
Old 02-07-2018, 09:39 PM

Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by omahacolt View Post
Yeah. Him and Eric foster right?
Foster. That’s right. I actually liked Foster. He was put in a bad situation but he could penetrate,had some moves. He was fun to watch except when he was getting blown off the line. He was 265 if I remember right so yeah Freeney at his heaviest weighed the most on that DL. So dumb.
Old 02-07-2018, 11:12 PM

Thanked 2,234 Times in 1,167 Posts

Quote:
Foster. That’s right. I actually liked Foster. He was put in a bad situation but he could penetrate,had some moves. He was fun to watch except when he was getting blown off the line. He was 265 if I remember right so yeah Freeney at his heaviest weighed the most on that DL. So dumb.
I like him also, but he was not large enough to be a part of such a small line. Dude did bring a lot for what he was. Polian just fucking fell in love with smaller faster guys, and that is fine to a degree, but not across the line.
Old 02-09-2018, 02:57 PM

Good stuff from Holder today on the defense.

Quote:
The Colts seem likely to run what’s considered a 1-gap defensive front — one that positions defensive linemen to attack a single gap and emphasizes penetration. In the 3-4 scheme used under recently-fired coach Chuck Pagano, the defensive linemen typically are asked to play a 2-gap style. In it, linemen are positioned head up against an offensive linemen and attack one of the two gaps on either side based on reads and where the ball goes once it’s snapped.

The 1-gap scheme will require a lot from defensive tackle Johnathan Hankins, a candidate to be the so-called under tackle – a key element of the scheme. While the system won’t be identical to the one the Colts used under former coach Tony Dungy, the importance of this position can be seen by looking back at the role of Booger McFarland. The former Colts defensive tackle was traded to Indianapolis from Tampa Bay in 2006 and provided a key boost to the defense on the way to the franchise’s only Super Bowl title.

The coming defensive migration could be a compelling reason for the Colts to target North Carolina State pass rusher Bradley Chubb with the third overall choice in April’s NFL Draft. A premier edge rusher, such as Dwight Freeney, is a huge variable in this kind of scheme.

The Colts will need more out of their linebackers. In the new scheme, Jabaal Sheard would presumably shift from rush linebacker to defensive end, playing in a three-point stance. John Simon, on the other hand, seems like a potential 4-3 strong-side linebacker. But questions exist at the middle and weak-side linebacker spots. Whether the Colts have the athleticism on their roster to man those spots is debatable, at best.

The good news here is that Ballard and his staff have a great deal of experience scouting for this kind of defensive scheme. The Colts, according to a source, have already formulated a plan for addressing their defensive personnel this offseason to fit the new scheme. You can rest assured moves at linebacker will be among those changes.

A related point at linebacker: The traditional Tampa 2 defense did not ask linebackers to be frequent pass rushers. But as blitzes have become much more of a staple in the NFL, the modernized version of the scheme is going to include the pressure packages that are a must in today’s game. The linebackers will have to be good in open space and solid in coverage. But linebackers such as Simon, with some pass-rush ability, would definitely be a bonus.
https://www.indystar.com/story/sport...nse/323577002/
Old 02-09-2018, 05:26 PM

Is Geather's big enough to take on the Brackett role? I got a bunch they want to get Farley on the field. He could certainly cover the deep center.

Realistically, we should mimic the Seattle defense. We're a lot closer to that than the cover 2.