ColtFreaks.com - Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum   ColtFreaks.com Home Page

Go Back   ColtFreaks.com - Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum > Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum > Indianapolis Colts Discussion
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Old 03-22-2023, 09:51 PM
Post whore

Thanked 2,514 Times in 1,415 Posts
Default Why new Colts edge rusher Samson Ebukam is so motivated

https://www.indystar.com/story/sport...y/70016233007/

INDIANAPOLIS — The newest Colts edge rusher did not come here to sell anybody a bill of goods.

Samson Ebukam is a straight shooter, signed in Indianapolis to bring speed and power off the edge without being a liability at the point of attack.

Ebukam is on a mission in the NFL, a mission the Colts helped him accomplish last week by signing the former Rams and 49ers edge rusher to a three-year deal worth $10.775 million guaranteed, much more than that if he’s able to stay in Indianapolis over the life of the deal.

Even if most players do not want to talk about it, money can be a powerful motivator.

Colts free agency:What to know about receiver Isaiah McKenzie, the Colts signing to replace Parris Campbell

Especially when there are loved ones to support.

“The money was definitely a factor, because I was trying to take care of my family,” Ebukam said. “I mean, I’m not going to give you the whole story, but we really went through a lot. I felt like I can definitely use this money, just to take care of them a lot more, just so people can live a little bit more of a stress-free life.”

Ebukam also knows he can get more out of this deal if he takes his game to the next level in Indianapolis. For starters, any veteran on a big-money contract in the NFL knows he’s expendable if he doesn’t live up to his contract, and the way Ebukam’s contract is set up, he gets an extra $1 million if he plays so well that Indianapolis wants to keep him around for 2025, the third year of his contract.

But Ebukam’s deal can get bigger if he plays well for the Colts, who signed him to take over the LEO spot manned by Yannick Ngakoue in defensive coordinator Gus Bradley’s first season in Indianapolis. Ebukam’s base salary in 2024 and 2025 can increase by as much as $1 million if he hits incentives for sacks and playing time, plus a playoff berth for Indianapolis.

SUBSCRIBER EXCLUSIVE
News Across the U.S.
Access the digital replica of USA TODAY and more than 200 local newspapers with your subscription.
Click "Universal" in the eNewspaper
A big season for Ebukam pays off for the player and the team.

There is reason to believe Ebukam can play to a bigger profile in the Colts defense. Ebukam, who had a career-best five sacks with the Niners in 2022 — he’d recorded 4.5 in each of the three seasons before that — and 47 quarterback pressures, according to Sports Info Solutions.

A key number because it’s six more than the Colts got from Ngakoue, who was given 66 more pass-rushing snaps than Ebukam and led Indianapolis with 9.5 sacks.

Put Ebukam in the LEO, a primary pass-rushing role, instead of the complementary spot he played across from 49ers star Nick Bosa, and his production might rise accordingly, although he’ll be playing a wide-alignment, attacking style he did play sometimes in San Francisco.

“It just makes it easier mentally for the defensive end that’s playing that technique, because you’ve just got to get off the rock and mess things up for the defensive lineman,” Ebukam said. “I like it because I just get to go.”

And when Ebukam goes, he goes at full speed. Every snap, every play, which is one of the reasons he’ll be a better run defender than Ngakoue, along with some added power.

Ebukam knows he can play that role.

What he wants to do now is add a little bit more of Ngakoue’s explosiveness out of his stance.

Or more accurately, Bosa’s explosiveness out of his stance.

“You can’t replicate what he does,” Ebukam said of the 49ers’ superstar. “I kind of watch how he gets off the rock a little bit. He doesn’t waste a lot of movement. … I know that he trains a lot of legs, so I’m trying to get on the squat rack and make sure my legs are fit for the season.”

Ebukam’s been in the NFL for six years, knows who he is as a pass rusher.

That doesn’t mean he’s done trying to get better.”

“I’ve definitely gotten better with my moves, as far as speed to power, and how I can get off the rock a lot faster to threaten more of the edge,” Ebukam said. “I think I can definitely add on with some more speed moves in the future. That’s what I’m kind of trying to focus on this offseason.”

Because he knows what the payoff can be.
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to JAFF For This Useful Post:
CletusPyle (03-22-2023), Colts And Orioles (03-23-2023), Dewey 5 (03-22-2023), Ironshaft (03-23-2023), Racehorse (03-23-2023), smitty46953 (03-22-2023), Spike (03-22-2023)
Old 03-23-2023, 09:06 AM

Don't hate the signing. He has the potential to be better than he has been previously. We will see if he can live up to it.
The Following User Says Thank You to Ironshaft For This Useful Post:
Oldcolt (03-23-2023)
Old 03-23-2023, 09:57 AM

Thanked 2,430 Times in 1,092 Posts

Ngakoue had the exact same type of article last year.
Old 03-23-2023, 09:59 AM
Post whore

Thanked 1,613 Times in 938 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldcolt View Post
Ngakoue had the exact same type of article last year.
Here's hoping Samson can get 9.5 sacks with better run defense.
The Following User Says Thank You to Dam8610 For This Useful Post:
Oldcolt (03-23-2023)
Old 03-23-2023, 02:21 PM

Thanked 2,430 Times in 1,092 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dam8610 View Post
Here's hoping Samson can get 9.5 sacks with better run defense.

With some consistent pressure