ColtFreaks.com - Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum   ColtFreaks.com Home Page

Go Back   ColtFreaks.com - Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum > Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum > Indianapolis Colts Discussion
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Old 10-25-2017, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoosierinFL View Post
All you gotta do is look at the Rams if you want reason for optimism. I don't think anyone thought they had the talent to compete this year, even with the coaching changes. I think we have some good talent here and it will improve in 2018 - I still like Ballard's draft and think he'll have another good one.
We just need the right coaches and scheme to use the talent properly - and really a HUGE part of that right now is the offensive scheme. The blocking scheme, the route design, the timing, it's all wrong for the personnel we have. Even the runs they call for Mack are wrong half the time.

I agree. A sea change is possible in just one year.....and my aspiration is to compete/win the AFC south next year.....not SB. But I think that's only achievable if two conditions are met

1. Irsay steps back and lets Ballard pick his man
2. Ballard proves to be as good at talent assessment of coaching/ leadership as he seems to be of football talent. Those are obviously very different attributes and we don't really have evidence of that capability yet. The young Rams guy (forget his name) is evidence that you don't have to bias experience to succeed but there are a lot of first time coaches that can and do fail.

I think it's still likely that Irsay will want to make another play for Gruden/harbaugh as he did last year. If he does and succeeds landing his "big name" I think it may take a bit longer for the org to right itself because you have to work out the Irsay/Ballard/big name coach dynamic. That's a degree of org disruption that will take some time to work out even it it ultimately leads to big success.

I really don't think football talent is the biggest variable.....not saying we don't need another big infusion but based on what we've seen of Ballard so far makes me feel pretty good he will make more good choices in the draft/free agency.
Old 10-25-2017, 03:25 PM

Thanked 1,099 Times in 497 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by southside asshole View Post
I don't know, man. What you're describing sounds like the installation of a drastically new system and culture. That takes time and effort. I want you to be right but at the moment I'm just not feeling the optimism.

A coherent offensive strategy and a defense that puts players in position to succeed both represent significant systematic changes in every facet of game preparation and execution. I just don't see getting to that from where we are in a single offseason.
IMO the new culture is already chambered and ready to fire, but Pagano and his staff have to go. That culture is about competition, proving yourself, and winning. That's what Ballard has talked about, but he can't implement it with these losers in charge of the practices, game plan, and gameday rosters. Winning and losing cultures can't co-exist, you have to cut out the losers.

That return to a winning culture will come to fruition once Ballard brings in his guy, and that guy brings in his assistants. Whether that's Taub, or McDaniels, or Harbaugh, or whoever, it'll be someone that doesn't clap like a dummy when a player fails to execute.

If we were in a more competitive division, then yeah playoff contention next year wouldn't seem very likely. And the Jags and Texans have some juice they haven't had previously. But I'm still not worried about them or the Tits like a Bengals fan worries about the Steelers and Ravens. Not at all. When Luck gets back he will again be far and away the best QB in the division.

I really like the pieces we have on defense already. Give even Manusky this roster and we'd have a top 10-12 defense IMO. Davis, Melvin, Wilson, Hairston, Hooker, Geathers are 5 pretty good, great, or high-potential players. I expected more from them this season, but no one anticipated this trainwreck. At OLB I think Simon and Sheard are again pretty good. There's no depth behind them, we need Basham to develop and we need to draft a pass rusher with elite potential. ILB is a mess. And at DL, again I think we have some pretty good players. Hankins, Woods, and Anderson are three quality starters. Hunt is better than expected. The depth after them is questionable. These guys are an elite pass rusher, improved play at ILB, and a good DC away from greatness.

On offense, just buy an OL if you have to. We have Kelly. Castonzo is good enough to not worry about this year. But once again we need talent infusion. If Luck is protected, Hilton, Doyle, and whoever else will get open enough that he'll get them the ball. Just focus on OL.

I don't think we're that far away from contending at all, as long as we get the right coaching staff.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to FatDT For This Useful Post:
Racehorse (10-26-2017), southside asshole (10-27-2017)
Old 10-26-2017, 06:48 PM

Thanked 4,290 Times in 1,755 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1965southpaw View Post
I have empathy for Pags....it must be excruciating to know you're fired at the end of the season and still have to be the front man for this shit show. It HAS to be having some impact on his performance even if he doesn't realize it. Irsay really didn't do chuck any favors by retaining him. This is a classic case of the Peter principle and for his sake I do hope that Jim doesn't wait til the end of the season. It's like watching a wounded animal dying a slow death. No bueno
it is his fault.

i don't feel sorry for him at all
Old 10-26-2017, 06:55 PM

Thanked 4,290 Times in 1,755 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by njcoltfan View Post
It’s gonna be a long time before the Colts are relavent again.
not if luck is healthy
The Following User Says Thank You to omahacolt For This Useful Post:
Butter (10-26-2017)
Old 10-26-2017, 08:59 PM

Thanked 2,250 Times in 1,174 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by omahacolt View Post
not if luck is healthy
IF he is not permanently broken we have one of the most capable people in the most important and hardest to fill position. This team can turn around quickly with competent leadership and a healthy Luck.
The Following User Says Thank You to Butter For This Useful Post:
Indiana V2 (10-26-2017)
Old 10-26-2017, 09:00 PM

Thanked 4,399 Times in 2,530 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butter View Post
IF he is not permanently broken we have one of the most capable people in the most important and hardest to fill position. This team can turn around quickly with competent leadership and a healthy Luck.
I wish we had just one of the two right now, but it will be nice to have both next year.
Old 10-26-2017, 09:49 PM

Thanked 2,250 Times in 1,174 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racehorse View Post
I wish we had just one of the two right now, but it will be nice to have both next year.
That is the dream, my friend.
The Following User Says Thank You to Butter For This Useful Post:
Racehorse (10-27-2017)
Old 10-27-2017, 06:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by omahacolt View Post
not if luck is healthy
I hope your right, but that's a big if, considering that he's not even practicing.
Old 10-27-2017, 12:26 PM

Thanked 1,477 Times in 815 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by njcoltfan View Post
I hope your right, but that's a big if, considering that he's not even practicing.
next year. I dont think we are seeing luck at all (or much) this year.
Old 10-27-2017, 05:16 PM

We're number 1!!!! We are leading the league in number of chunk plays allowed (defined as plays greater than 20 yards).

Congratulations, ya know, I'm really, really proud. Chuck
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 1965southpaw For This Useful Post:
smitty46953 (10-28-2017), YDFL Commish (10-28-2017)