ColtFreaks.com - Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum   ColtFreaks.com Home Page

Go Back   ColtFreaks.com - Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum > Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum > Indianapolis Colts Discussion

Old 03-22-2018, 03:32 PM

Thanked 1,099 Times in 497 Posts
Default Defensive expectations part 2

A lot has happened since the first thread. The biggest thing being losing Hankins. The point isn't to debate that more. Either you buy the explanation or you don't. It's done and we can't change it.

I am very curious about this new defense. Originally I thought Eberflus would bring some mix of Rob Ryan and Rod Marinelli. But based on roster moves and comments from the team, it sounds like we're in for a lot more Marinelli than we are Ryan.

But what does that mean? Marinelli comes from the Dungy tree, but that doesn't mean we're going back to the Tampa 2 from the Manning era... does it?

I've been researching the Dallas defense under Marinelli.

This article talks about the Dallas front 7 in 2016, when they were the #1 run defense in the NFL. If you're surprised, join the club.

The big thing I took from it were that the type of defense described here seems consistent with Ballard's speed comments. While I think Hankins could've done well with it, it sounds like the traditional 1 tech NT role doesn't have as much of a place as it did on Dungy's DL.

The next big thing is that this defense absolutely requires a great MLB to function. And we don't have one. I'm not convinced Hitchens would've been the answer. Wouldn't be surprised if we target one of the top LBs earlier than any of us are expecting. It's probably what Eberflus wants more than anything for his defense.

Now this article.

It's a preview for the 2017 Dallas defense. The "new" defense.

The first thing I notice is the size.

- David Irving - 6'7, 290
- Maliek Collins - 6'2, 284
- Taco Charleton - 6'6, 273
- Cedric Thornton - 6'4, 290
- Tyrone Crawford - 6'4, 290
- Stephen Paea - 6'2, 295
- Demarcus Lawrence - 6'3, 264
- Benson Mayowa - 6'3, 265

Zero players over 300 lbs. The archetypes are athletic rush DE (Lawrence), shorter gap 3 tech penetrator (Collins), tall long-armed DT (Irving), and similarly-sized (interchangeable?) tall and long-armed DE (Crawford). I don't know all the gaps/techniques they played yet. This only reinforces the idea (however misguided it might or might not be) that Hankins doesn't fit. You still wonder what Al Woods and Grover Stewart are doing on the roster if that's the case.

I also wonder about David Irving. Dallas put a 2nd round tender on him. The Colts have a lot of 2nd rounders this year. Could they steal him from Dallas? He has played well and knows the Marinelli defense, though he's also had some issues with concussions and a PED suspension. He is 24.

Second thing I notice is that their starting LBs are far and away much, much more talented than ours. Sean Lee, Jaylon Smith, Anthony Hitchens. Of the three, Hitchens is the weakest of the group and he just got paid $9M/year. All three are smart, athletic, can cover and can attack the LOS. They're just way better. No hiding cheap, bad players at LB like in the Polian days. Again, a high draft pick or two on a LB will not surprise me at all this year.

At corner and safety I'm less sure still what to expect. That seems to have the least talent distributed to it. But I don't see strictly zone corners on the roster the last couple of years either.

Here's another Cowboys article, I'm sick of reading these now. You're welcome.

Based on the tape breakdown it appears Marinelli runs both man and zone. So concerns we will play strict zone with big cushions may be unfounded.

You also see it outlined how big of a difference Sean Lee makes for this defense. Which again makes me not care that much that we "missed out" on Hitchens. Apparently the guy didn't fill in that well at MLB.

Ok that's enough. After complaining about newbies writing too much I did the same thing. Sue me. Or just put down your thoughts on our new defense.
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to FatDT For This Useful Post:
1965southpaw (03-22-2018), Butter (03-22-2018), Chaka (03-22-2018), indycolts2 (03-22-2018), Indystu2 (03-27-2018), Puck (03-22-2018), Racehorse (03-22-2018)
Old 03-22-2018, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FatDT View Post
A lot has happened since the first thread. The biggest thing being losing Hankins. The point isn't to debate that more. Either you buy the explanation or you don't. It's done and we can't change it.

I am very curious about this new defense. Originally I thought Eberflus would bring some mix of Rob Ryan and Rod Marinelli. But based on roster moves and comments from the team, it sounds like we're in for a lot more Marinelli than we are Ryan.

But what does that mean? Marinelli comes from the Dungy tree, but that doesn't mean we're going back to the Tampa 2 from the Manning era... does it?

I've been researching the Dallas defense under Marinelli.

This article talks about the Dallas front 7 in 2016, when they were the #1 run defense in the NFL. If you're surprised, join the club.

The big thing I took from it were that the type of defense described here seems consistent with Ballard's speed comments. While I think Hankins could've done well with it, it sounds like the traditional 1 tech NT role doesn't have as much of a place as it did on Dungy's DL.

The next big thing is that this defense absolutely requires a great MLB to function. And we don't have one. I'm not convinced Hitchens would've been the answer. Wouldn't be surprised if we target one of the top LBs earlier than any of us are expecting. It's probably what Eberflus wants more than anything for his defense.

Now this article.

It's a preview for the 2017 Dallas defense. The "new" defense.

The first thing I notice is the size.

- David Irving - 6'7, 290
- Maliek Collins - 6'2, 284
- Taco Charleton - 6'6, 273
- Cedric Thornton - 6'4, 290
- Tyrone Crawford - 6'4, 290
- Stephen Paea - 6'2, 295
- Demarcus Lawrence - 6'3, 264
- Benson Mayowa - 6'3, 265

Zero players over 300 lbs. The archetypes are athletic rush DE (Lawrence), shorter gap 3 tech penetrator (Collins), tall long-armed DT (Irving), and similarly-sized (interchangeable?) tall and long-armed DE (Crawford). I don't know all the gaps/techniques they played yet. This only reinforces the idea (however misguided it might or might not be) that Hankins doesn't fit. You still wonder what Al Woods and Grover Stewart are doing on the roster if that's the case.

I also wonder about David Irving. Dallas put a 2nd round tender on him. The Colts have a lot of 2nd rounders this year. Could they steal him from Dallas? He has played well and knows the Marinelli defense, though he's also had some issues with concussions and a PED suspension. He is 24.

Second thing I notice is that their starting LBs are far and away much, much more talented than ours. Sean Lee, Jaylon Smith, Anthony Hitchens. Of the three, Hitchens is the weakest of the group and he just got paid $9M/year. All three are smart, athletic, can cover and can attack the LOS. They're just way better. No hiding cheap, bad players at LB like in the Polian days. Again, a high draft pick or two on a LB will not surprise me at all this year.

At corner and safety I'm less sure still what to expect. That seems to have the least talent distributed to it. But I don't see strictly zone corners on the roster the last couple of years either.

Here's another Cowboys article, I'm sick of reading these now. You're welcome.

Based on the tape breakdown it appears Marinelli runs both man and zone. So concerns we will play strict zone with big cushions may be unfounded.

You also see it outlined how big of a difference Sean Lee makes for this defense. Which again makes me not care that much that we "missed out" on Hitchens. Apparently the guy didn't fill in that well at MLB.

Ok that's enough. After complaining about newbies writing too much I did the same thing. Sue me. Or just put down your thoughts on our new defense.
Too long.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Chaka For This Useful Post:
1965southpaw (03-22-2018), Puck (03-22-2018), Racehorse (03-22-2018), smitty46953 (03-22-2018), YDFL Commish (03-22-2018)
Old 03-22-2018, 05:14 PM
Post whore

Thanked 1,595 Times in 925 Posts

To me, this says they really need Suh. Also, expect Rasheem Green to be one of the second round picks, he fits your description to a T (6'4" 275 81" wingspan 4.73 40 and he was super productive as a sophomore last year).
Old 03-22-2018, 05:22 PM
Post whore

Also when I find more time to do scouting reports, I'll look more for lighter DTs with bigger wingspans.
Old 03-22-2018, 06:54 PM

Well, with this being a defensive thread, with the Giants trading JPP to the Bucs, the Colts chances of getting Chubb went from slim to almost none. I fully expect Ballard to move out of the sixth spot to acquire hopefully another 1&3 this years draft.
Old 03-22-2018, 06:57 PM
Post whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by njcoltfan View Post
Well, with this being a defensive thread, with the Giants trading JPP to the Bucs, the Colts chances of getting Chubb went from slim to almost none. I fully expect Ballard to move out of the sixth spot to acquire hopefully another 1&3 this years draft.
I'd put it more at going from near certainty to strong likelihood. Everyone in the Top 5 needs a QB and the Browns want Barkley. If anything this eliminates the Colts main competition for Chubb: Tampa.
Old 03-22-2018, 07:47 PM

I think a trade down and either Roquan Smith or Tremaine Edmunds is likely if they can get any takers. I'd still want Chubb in the DeMarcus Lawrence role but MLB seems critical in this defense too.

Last edited by FatDT; 03-22-2018 at 07:51 PM.
Old 03-22-2018, 08:14 PM

Thanked 4,275 Times in 1,745 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dam8610 View Post
Also when I find more time to do scouting reports, I'll look more for lighter DTs with bigger wingspans.
don't worry about it dude

nobody gives a shit
Old 03-23-2018, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dam8610 View Post
To me, this says they really need Suh. Also, expect Rasheem Green to be one of the second round picks, he fits your description to a T (6'4" 275 81" wingspan 4.73 40 and he was super productive as a sophomore last year).
From what I've read the guy is still pretty raw and shouldn't play much his rookie year. Seems like a high ceiling player and we have lots of picks so this wouldn't be a terrible idea even though USC players are often terrible in the NFL.
Old 03-23-2018, 09:02 AM

Thanked 1,189 Times in 523 Posts

Interesting article on Dallas' defense recapping the 2017 season (located here).

The key factor cited for their vastly improved defense (about 10th in the league) was:

#1 - Terror off the edge (DeMarcus Lawrence)
#2 - Improvement of impact plays by LBs (Sean Lee & Anthony Hitchins, MLB and WSLB).
#3 - Secondary Play

D-Line was not cited but obviously still important but the massive glaring need on the Colts right now are a pass rush fool DE and LBs who can play in space well.

I pretty much want Chubb at #6 or one of Edwards/Smith at the early teens if we trade down as our first round picks. We have to get quality LBs if our defense is ever going to improve. I like John Simon as SSLB but we have gaping holes next to him.

Walk Worthy,