ColtFreaks.com - Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum   ColtFreaks.com Home Page

Go Back   ColtFreaks.com - Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum > Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum > Indianapolis Colts Discussion

Old 05-07-2020, 04:03 PM
Post whore

Thanked 1,595 Times in 925 Posts
Question 2020 Draft Class Scouting Reports

WR Michael Pittman Jr. USC

Strengths
Has a great combination of size and athleticism for a WR. Uses size to make high point catches and win 50/50 balls frequently, and makes himself a deep threat as a result. Catches the ball with his hands and drops are very rare. Runs routes well with sharp cuts that help him to lose coverage. Has deceptive speed that he can occasionally use to break a long play. Will work back to his QB when in trouble and tries to provide an outlet in those situations. Fights for the football whenever it is thrown his way. Competes on every down, always plays at full speed, doesn't take plays off. Excellent blocker from the WR position.

Weaknesses
Does not have elite speed and won't run away from many DBs. Gets caught pushing off too often and was flagged for OPI several times last season. Needs to work on body control and field awareness to be able to make boundary catches more frequently. About one third of his yardage and TD production came in 2 games against Utah and Colorado.

Notes
Team captain for USC. Second team All-American. First team All-PAC 12. Son of former NFL RB Michael Pittman.

NFL Player Comparison
Mike Evans
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Dam8610 For This Useful Post:
Oldcolt (05-07-2020), Puck (05-07-2020), Racehorse (05-07-2020)
Old 05-07-2020, 05:08 PM

Thanked 2,211 Times in 1,191 Posts

I was going to post today...floor Alshon Jefferey, ceiling Mike Evans/Vincent Jackson?
Old 05-07-2020, 05:41 PM
Post whore

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by YDFL Commish View Post
I was going to post today...floor Alshon Jefferey, ceiling Mike Evans/Vincent Jackson?
My player comps are always ceilings. I went with Evans because their builds and physical testing are remarkably similar and it felt less lazy than the Vincent Jackson comparison, which I feel like people are saying just because they're both big bodies and Rivers threw to Jackson and Reich coached him. I wanted to give a different name.
Old 05-07-2020, 08:12 PM

Thanked 2,568 Times in 1,147 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dam8610 View Post
it felt less lazy than the Vincent Jackson comparison, which I feel like people are saying just because they're both big bodies and Rivers threw to Jackson and Reich coached him.

Are you calling Ballard lazy with his comps?

Vincent Jackson is the comp that Ballard made when he was describing Pittman to Irsay on the "With the Next Pick" series. That is probably another reason why you see so many people making that particular comparison.....they are repeating Ballard.
Old 05-07-2020, 09:15 PM
Post whore

RB Johnathan Taylor Wisconsin

Strengths
One cut, north south runner who will fight for every possible yard. Has an excellent stiff arm and uses it to great effect to extend runs. Has the ability to run over a DB, or use a juke to get a step on him. Has breakaway speed, once he gets even with a defender, he's gone. Patient runner who will typically allow his blocks to develop in front of him before charging through the hole. Has good vision and is constantly searching for a hole to open. Isn't afraid to dance in the backfield a bit to create a lane, but also isn't afraid to run full steam ahead to pick up 2-3 yards when it's not there. Does well as a receiver out of the backfield, and has surprised defenses with this aspect of his game. Willing blocker in pass protection, and usually does well at it.

Weaknesses
Has a lot of mileage on him already coming into the NFL with 926 carries in 3 seasons at Wisconsin. Ball security is frequently an issue, and one he will need to improve at the NFL level. Dropped some catchable balls in the flat as a receiver. Could benefit from processing a little more at times when he charges into the line to try to make a positive play.

Notes
Team Captain at Wisconsin. Unanimous First Team All-American in 2018 and 2019. Doak Walker award winner in 2018 and 2019.

NFL Player Comparison
Arian Foster (with breakaway speed)
Old 05-07-2020, 09:18 PM
Post whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlwaysSunnyinIndy View Post
Are you calling Ballard lazy with his comps?

Vincent Jackson is the comp that Ballard made when he was describing Pittman to Irsay on the "With the Next Pick" series. That is probably another reason why you see so many people making that particular comparison.....they are repeating Ballard.
Jackson is the comp the Colts front office would make because they are more familiar with him than Evans. The people who are just repeating it are being lazy. Plus, I don't like using the same player comp as everyone else.
Old 05-08-2020, 11:44 AM
Accidental Administrator

Here's 11 mins of highlights on our draft picks.... pittman and taylor look awesome.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m2tDvPUgAPg

"I want to dominate all my opponents, and take their will away to play the game, by each play, and finishing them past the whistle."
The Following User Says Thank You to Pez For This Useful Post:
smitty46953 (05-08-2020)
Old 05-08-2020, 12:42 PM

Thanked 1,476 Times in 814 Posts

Looked like pittman was under thrown on all those highlights.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 05-08-2020, 03:50 PM
Post whore

Thanked 3,582 Times in 2,004 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by YDFL Commish View Post
I would take both of those in a heartbeat from a 2nd round pick. Best thing I like are his hands. He rarely drops the ball.
The Following User Says Thank You to Chromeburn For This Useful Post:
Racehorse (05-08-2020)
Old 05-09-2020, 08:12 AM
Post whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chromeburn View Post
I would take both of those in a heartbeat from a 2nd round pick. Best thing I like are his hands. He rarely drops the ball.
Brett Kollman said several times that Pittman would be WR2 or WR3 in most drafts and an easy pick in the 20s.
The Following User Says Thank You to Dam8610 For This Useful Post:
Racehorse (05-09-2020)