ColtFreaks.com - Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum   ColtFreaks.com Home Page

Go Back   ColtFreaks.com - Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum > Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum > Indianapolis Colts Discussion
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Old 11-01-2018, 08:08 AM

I know I keep coming back to it more than I should, but I love seeing and hearing about the coaching staff making adjustments for players strengths. It seems to be a major part of Reich’s philosophy and to me it is a great indicator that he’s going to be a very good coach.

Not to start back up the old arguments, but this philosophy is the major reason I had issue with some of the personnel decisions that were made on the defensive side. I don’t see that same philosophy defensively. Certainly it lends itself a little more to the offensive side of the ball. Creating mismatches. However it is still applicable to the defensive side and I do hate the idea that we may be going back to “we do what we do”. I’ve never been a fan of that.
Old 11-01-2018, 08:48 AM

Thanked 1,099 Times in 497 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rm1369 View Post
Not to start back up the old arguments, but this philosophy is the major reason I had issue with some of the personnel decisions that were made on the defensive side. I don’t see that same philosophy defensively. Certainly it lends itself a little more to the offensive side of the ball. Creating mismatches. However it is still applicable to the defensive side and I do hate the idea that we may be going back to “we do what we do”. I’ve never been a fan of that.
I don't disagree with your overall point. I've been clear that I think cutting Hankins, Anderson, and Simon were all mistakes.

That said, notice Hunt isn't playing that much on the edge. He's playing interior DL, where he fits best. When Quincy Wilson played so much against the Bills, they put him on Kelvin Benjamin and let him press. He wasn't forced into soft zone coverage. There's evidence of Eberflus and company tailoring the defense to specific strengths. I'd like to see more of it, but so far I don't think this D is as rigid as the Dungy defenses of the past.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to FatDT For This Useful Post:
Racehorse (11-01-2018), rm1369 (11-01-2018), sherck (11-01-2018), VeveJones007 (11-01-2018)
Old 11-01-2018, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FatDT View Post
I don't disagree with your overall point. I've been clear that I think cutting Hankins, Anderson, and Simon were all mistakes.

That said, notice Hunt isn't playing that much on the edge. He's playing interior DL, where he fits best. When Quincy Wilson played so much against the Bills, they put him on Kelvin Benjamin and let him press. He wasn't forced into soft zone coverage. There's evidence of Eberflus and company tailoring the defense to specific strengths. I'd like to see more of it, but so far I don't think this D is as rigid as the Dungy defenses of the past.
Fair points. I was aware of the change with Hunt, but didn’t notice the adjustment with Wilson. Hopefully you are correct and they aren’t as rigid as Dungy was. I’ll have to watch for adjustments a little closer.