ColtFreaks.com - Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum   ColtFreaks.com Home Page

Go Back   ColtFreaks.com - Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum > Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum > Indianapolis Colts Discussion
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Old 01-02-2019, 01:11 PM

Thanked 1,197 Times in 528 Posts
Default The Big Q....

Stats from Coltfreaks:

Quote:
Nelson finished the season having played every snap and allowed only 4 quarterback hits and 2 sacks as a rookie.

He became the first guard in NFL history be named Offensive Player of the Month.

He is the first Colts rookie lineman named to the Pro Bowl since Colts Ring of Honor member Chris Hinton did so in 1983.
I love watching his play on the field; he just wants to punish folks.

Some say that #6 was too high for an OG.

Without having taken Mike McGlinchey (#8), Derwin James (#17) or Leighton Vander Esch (#19), I am hard pressed to look at any of the next 15 picks or so and find one that performed at anywhere near the same level as Nelson did in 2018. For who was available with our pick (i.e. Not Chubb), we found the most impactful dude.

6 hits total for Q in 639 pass attempts (0.939%) or just under once in every 100 pass attempts by Luck.

Amazing.

Keep the faith, Colts fans. The best is yet to come.

Walk Worthy,
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sherck For This Useful Post:
Racehorse (01-02-2019), southside asshole (01-02-2019)
Old 01-02-2019, 01:50 PM

Thanked 2,258 Times in 1,217 Posts

The encouraging thing is that Nelson improved as the season progressed. Meaning that he has not hit his ceiling yet.

BTW, I prefer "Earl Grey" to "The Big Q", but either will do.
Old 01-02-2019, 02:03 PM

Thanked 1,099 Times in 497 Posts

Chubb is the only 1st round pick I would consider to be on the same level of value, now that the full season is over. 12 sacks, 60 tackles (41 solo), 2 forced fumbles and a pass defended. He had a great year and lived up to the hype.

And seeing how the other OL stepped up, I think Luck's protection would've been improved significantly with a lesser guard taken later.

But overall if I could change it I wouldn't. Having Nelson on the field has proven incredibly valuable. Nelson and Kelly together on the field is irreplaceable.

And while he's definitely second fiddle Braden Smith has done very well at RT. I don't know if he'll be there long-term or if he'll move to guard at some point but he's given us 1st round rookie OL production as a 2nd round pick. No complaints with either selection. I would put competent backup center/guard as the top OL need, the OL is largely fixed.
Old 01-02-2019, 03:02 PM

Thanked 1,477 Times in 815 Posts

The line has played awesome this year and if they dominates for many years to come then it was worth it to me.
Old 01-02-2019, 03:06 PM

Talking

With 9 picks and $100m in cap space I can't wait for the future!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dwilli57 For This Useful Post:
Racehorse (01-02-2019), sherck (01-02-2019)
Old 01-02-2019, 03:42 PM
Post whore

Thanked 3,682 Times in 2,058 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by FatDT View Post
Chubb is the only 1st round pick I would consider to be on the same level of value, now that the full season is over. 12 sacks, 60 tackles (41 solo), 2 forced fumbles and a pass defended. He had a great year and lived up to the hype.

And seeing how the other OL stepped up, I think Luck's protection would've been improved significantly with a lesser guard taken later.

But overall if I could change it I wouldn't. Having Nelson on the field has proven incredibly valuable. Nelson and Kelly together on the field is irreplaceable.

And while he's definitely second fiddle Braden Smith has done very well at RT. I don't know if he'll be there long-term or if he'll move to guard at some point but he's given us 1st round rookie OL production as a 2nd round pick. No complaints with either selection. I would put competent backup center/guard as the top OL need, the OL is largely fixed.
I think I feel the same way. I was in favor of drafting Chubb, adamantly so. I didn’t want to spend a 6 on a guard. But I am happy to see the line is much improved. Nelson has provided a clean pocket for Luck to step up in, and also cleared big holes for the backs. But this has been a group effort. Kelly’s improved play, putting Smith on the outside, and the return of Castonzo solidified it IMO. Combined with scheme, it works much better and really we only go as far as Luck stays upright.

Also, Chubb plays opposite Von Miller. I wonder how much that helps.
Old 01-02-2019, 04:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FatDT View Post
I don't know if you can extract Nelson from the equation and see the same results from the rest of the line. His ability and intensity raised the bar for their performance as a group.
The Following User Says Thank You to southside asshole For This Useful Post:
smitty46953 (01-02-2019)
Old 01-02-2019, 05:08 PM

Thanked 1,099 Times in 497 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by southside asshole View Post
I don't know if you can extract Nelson from the equation and see the same results from the rest of the line. His ability and intensity raised the bar for their performance as a group.
Agree. It would've been improved, but not to the same degree at all. Our OL went from bottom 5-7 to top 5. If we'd gotten Chubb and just Smith, or maybe Smith and another guard prospect, the improvement might've been to somewhere in the middle of the pack. So while our pass rush would've likely been better, I'm not sure it would've been better enough to offset the lesser OL improvement.

And it doesn't matter because time travel isn't real. I'm glad we have Nelson.
The Following User Says Thank You to FatDT For This Useful Post:
southside asshole (01-02-2019)
Old 01-02-2019, 07:02 PM

Thanked 1,477 Times in 815 Posts

also, if we stayed put and drafted chubb we probably would have used our single 2nd rd pick on OL and thus not gotten leonard.

I like having nelson, leonard, and smith combined (and another 2nd this coming draft)
The Following User Says Thank You to rcubed For This Useful Post:
Spike (01-02-2019)
Old 01-02-2019, 07:59 PM
Administrator

Thanked 2,853 Times in 1,402 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by southside asshole View Post
Agee. And he was one of the players that spoke at the players only meeting. Read an article somewhere. Where the online is feeding off of his demeanor. It show

He must have had 6-7 pancakes in the Texan game. It has been a pleasure to watch him rub his nuts across opposing players face masks!!!