ColtFreaks.com - Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum   ColtFreaks.com Home Page

Go Back   ColtFreaks.com - Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum > Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum > Indianapolis Colts Discussion

Old 05-27-2019, 07:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by falloutboy14 View Post
It's a power vs quickness thing. 3-tech is Ina 1-on-1 situation, with room to maneuver. 1-tech is asking for a double-team and in the center of line.

So one of the things that was odd about our defense last year, as I recall, is that we played a lot of games with 2 1-techs at the same time. That's both DTs on either side of the center. I didn't have the time to really look at why, but my hunch is Eberflus can tinker the system to work with whatever talent he has available.

All of our DTs played 1-tech last year even though most (Autry, Hunt, Lewis and others) aren't suited for it. Grover Stewart and Al Woods are the two that were obvious 1-techs. They're going lighter on D-line like the old Dungy days.
Which makes it puzzling to be quivering over a mil or two above what the team would like to pay, assuming he's that much of an upgrade over what is on the roster. The stated goal was to improve the lines, so pay up or shut up.
Old 05-27-2019, 07:48 AM
Post whore

Thanked 2,514 Times in 1,415 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by falloutboy14 View Post
It's a power vs quickness thing. 3-tech is Ina 1-on-1 situation, with room to maneuver. 1-tech is asking for a double-team and in the center of line.

So one of the things that was odd about our defense last year, as I recall, is that we played a lot of games with 2 1-techs at the same time. That's both DTs on either side of the center. I didn't have the time to really look at why, but my hunch is Eberflus can tinker the system to work with whatever talent he has available.

All of our DTs played 1-tech last year even though most (Autry, Hunt, Lewis and others) aren't suited for it. Grover Stewart and Al Woods are the two that were obvious 1-techs. They're going lighter on D-line like the old Dungy days.
I'm not sure it matters in this D. They don't play with Paganos D, which was three guys being blocking sponges and taking on double teams. Every guy has a gap, lineman and linebackers and out side contain may be achieved with the corners. They don't have a guy who's goal is to take on blockers. You get in a gap and you go, mess up the blocking angles. BTW, if you got a really talented guy, it doesn't matter about technique. JJ Watt is a problem what ever your scheme is.

When they put both DT's in the A gaps they were penetrating and screwing up teams blocking schemes. Dungys D in Tampa worked so well because he had a great player at each level. Sapp on the line, Brooks at W LB and Lynch at safety. You get a McFarland, you have two guys pushing the pocket back into the QB's face. It was designed to beat the West Coast O. Mess up the QB's footwook.

What the Colts did last year was to fill both A gaps and get the QB off his spot with out great talent. Put a McCoy in the A gap, he may create a double team without any scheming. Now you have a one on one with the other DT or a lane if you really want to blitz.
Old 05-27-2019, 02:02 PM

Thanked 3,108 Times in 1,639 Posts

He is saying he is going to go where he can win
He views the Bengals as a team on the rise.

He is going to visit the Ravens( at least they have won a SB)

But the Browns and Bengals ? If winning is what is most important it's hard to take him serious when he is considering the Browns and Bengals as options. 2 teams that never even sniff the playoffs much less a SB.
Old 05-27-2019, 03:58 PM

Thanked 2,430 Times in 1,092 Posts

I am not in for McCoy. While I'm excited about this team, there are way to many question marks with the young players we have. That is what makes this so exciting for me, the idea of watching players develop. The veterans we have on the line are enough for me. Unless the guy is the 'final piece' I want to see what the young guys can do. I also think that it helps with attitude for the young players to see that they are not going to be automatically replaced by older vets. Now if we sign him I am sure that, as a fan, my tune will change. This is one place where being consistent is not a worry
The Following User Says Thank You to Oldcolt For This Useful Post:
Discflinger (05-28-2019)
Old 05-28-2019, 07:41 AM

Thanked 2,211 Times in 1,191 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAFF View Post
Put a McCoy in the A gap, he may create a double team without any scheming. Now you have a one on one with the other DT or a lane if you really want to blitz.
But can he, and how often did teams double team him last season? Imo, this is the key to whether or not McCoy is worth 12-13 million.

Because at that figure he has to bring something to the table that Autry and Lewis do not. I'm not sure that is the case?
Old 05-28-2019, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YDFL Commish View Post
But can he, and how often did teams double team him last season? Imo, this is the key to whether or not McCoy is worth 12-13 million.

Because at that figure he has to bring something to the table that Autry and Lewis do not. I'm not sure that is the case?
In fairness, by that logic, does Funchess offer us anything $10-13M that Inman at $1.4M wouldn't have?

Ballard has shown the willingness to burn cap space in that area, so I think it would make sense that he'd be willing to ditch his austere approach at the DT spot for McCoy v. Lewis/Autry.
Old 05-28-2019, 10:54 AM

Thanked 2,211 Times in 1,191 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coltsalr View Post
In fairness, by that logic, does Funchess offer us anything $10-13M that Inman at $1.4M wouldn't have?

Ballard has shown the willingness to burn cap space in that area, so I think it would make sense that he'd be willing to ditch his austere approach at the DT spot for McCoy v. Lewis/Autry.
Well, I'm predicting 10+ TD's for Funchess. We were never going to get that out of Inman. Also Funchess is 5 years younger, so there is upside there.

I have no problem with Ballard burning the cap space, even if it's for 2 years. But again, McCoy has got to be a clear upgrade over what we already have to convince Ballard to do that.
The Following User Says Thank You to YDFL Commish For This Useful Post:
JAFF (05-28-2019)
Old 05-28-2019, 07:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YDFL Commish View Post
Well, I'm predicting 10+ TD's for Funchess. We were never going to get that out of Inman. Also Funchess is 5 years younger, so there is upside there.

I have no problem with Ballard burning the cap space, even if it's for 2 years. But again, McCoy has got to be a clear upgrade over what we already have to convince Ballard to do that.
You're quite a bit more bullish on Funchess than I am. Hey, I hope you're right and I'm wrong! I can't claim to have studied him in particular with the Panthers, more that I'm aware of Panthers' fans hatred of him and in Carolina games I've watched he's certainly never stood out.

And apparently more bearish on McCoy than I am (or are you just more optimistic about Autry/Lewis?)
Old 05-28-2019, 09:24 PM
Post whore

Thanked 3,582 Times in 2,004 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luck4Reich View Post
He is saying he is going to go where he can win
He views the Bengals as a team on the rise.

He is going to visit the Ravens( at least they have won a SB)

But the Browns and Bengals ? If winning is what is most important it's hard to take him serious when he is considering the Browns and Bengals as options. 2 teams that never even sniff the playoffs much less a SB.
Well he has been on the bucs forever so his standards are not high. Everybody likes the browns, they are winning the media. But they will have to clip that buzz soon, they haven’t won anything and are gonna get big heads.
Old 05-28-2019, 09:40 PM
Post whore

Thanked 3,582 Times in 2,004 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAFF View Post
I'm not sure it matters in this D. They don't play with Paganos D, which was three guys being blocking sponges and taking on double teams. Every guy has a gap, lineman and linebackers and out side contain may be achieved with the corners. They don't have a guy who's goal is to take on blockers. You get in a gap and you go, mess up the blocking angles. BTW, if you got a really talented guy, it doesn't matter about technique. JJ Watt is a problem what ever your scheme is.

When they put both DT's in the A gaps they were penetrating and screwing up teams blocking schemes. Dungys D in Tampa worked so well because he had a great player at each level. Sapp on the line, Brooks at W LB and Lynch at safety. You get a McFarland, you have two guys pushing the pocket back into the QB's face. It was designed to beat the West Coast O. Mess up the QB's footwook.

What the Colts did last year was to fill both A gaps and get the QB off his spot with out great talent. Put a McCoy in the A gap, he may create a double team without any scheming. Now you have a one on one with the other DT or a lane if you really want to blitz.
I think we are lacking a little beef up front. So I’m wondering if we line up say against Seattle or New England. Can we hold up against a game plan that wants to run all day long. I know the titans and jaguars are looking at us that way. That is how I see NE attacking us. It’s how they are built currently with two young backs. I know everyone is worried about pass rush, but I am kind worried about our lack of size. Can we hang in December in the cold against a team determined to run through the 4th quarter?