ColtFreaks.com - Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum   ColtFreaks.com Home Page

Go Back   ColtFreaks.com - Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum > Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum > Indianapolis Colts Discussion

Old 04-28-2018, 08:47 PM

Not thrilled with drafting Nelson at 6. Sure I’ll love the player, but I don’t like the value and wanted a defensive anchor at that spot.

I like the focus on the OL and defensive front 7 in rounds 1-3.

I don’t like getting rid of Hankins and Anderson. I get that they don’t match the coaches ideals for the positions but I believe both are capable of contributing to this defense. And they basically got nothing for two young, talented, and experienced players. If the new young guys beat them out, so be it. But nobody can convince me this defense is going to be better with those two gone.

I would have liked to see a CB drafted. Depths seems paper thin. Can’t fix everything in one draft though.

I’m excited to see what the offense can be with a healthy Luck, a couple playmakers, and some creativity. And a hopefully competent OL.

Without a doubt Ballard has put his stamp on this team - for good or bad. I’m hopeful, but there are certainly a few things that concern me.
The Following User Says Thank You to rm1369 For This Useful Post:
Chaka (04-28-2018)
Old 04-28-2018, 08:54 PM

Thanked 4,361 Times in 2,508 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoosierinFL View Post
I agree with whoever said in the other thread that Pagano created a soft team, and Ballard is trying to create a culture shift
No more clapping for screwing up. Instead, it will be "take a seat, someone else is taking the snaps". I am all for it!
dwilli57 (04-30-2018), Indiana V2 (04-28-2018), YDFL Commish (04-29-2018)
Old 04-28-2018, 08:56 PM

Thanked 4,361 Times in 2,508 Posts

I am sure it will be a clearer picture when Sherck puts out his updated depth chart.
Dewey 5 (04-28-2018)
Old 04-29-2018, 09:56 AM

This about sums it up for me (taken from another site)

Those Round 2 picks ... OLB Darius Leonard, G Braden Smith, pass rusher Kemoko Turay and DE Tyquan Lewis all felt like possible reaches for a roster that can't afford more misses.

This feels like Grigson all over again. Of course his first year we thought he knew what he was doing too.
The Following User Says Thank You to DragonTails For This Useful Post:
Colt Classic (04-29-2018)
Old 04-29-2018, 11:36 AM
Administrator

Thanked 2,852 Times in 1,401 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rm1369 View Post
Not thrilled with drafting Nelson at 6. Sure I’ll love the player, but I don’t like the value and wanted a defensive anchor at that spot.

I like the focus on the OL and defensive front 7 in rounds 1-3.

I don’t like getting rid of Hankins and Anderson. I get that they don’t match the coaches ideals for the positions but I believe both are capable of contributing to this defense. And they basically got nothing for two young, talented, and experienced players. If the new young guys beat them out, so be it. But nobody can convince me this defense is going to be better with those two gone.

I would have liked to see a CB drafted. Depths seems paper thin. Can’t fix everything in one draft though.

I’m excited to see what the offense can be with a healthy Luck, a couple playmakers, and some creativity. And a hopefully competent OL.

Without a doubt Ballard has put his stamp on this team - for good or bad. I’m hopeful, but there are certainly a few things that concern me.

I can understand getting rid of Hankins and Andersen..... but it is almost like when we got rid of Freeney because of fit. Although they did give Freeney a yr to evaluate. And losing Freeney way way bigger than these two
Old 04-29-2018, 12:04 PM

Thanked 1,304 Times in 712 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DragonTails View Post
This about sums it up for me (taken from another site)

Those Round 2 picks ... OLB Darius Leonard, G Braden Smith, pass rusher Kemoko Turay and DE Tyquan Lewis all felt like possible reaches for a roster that can't afford more misses.

This feels like Grigson all over again. Of course his first year we thought he knew what he was doing too.
The only one I really have an issue with is Turay. Rd2 had too many good starter quality players to take a project player.

Other than that, I think they did pretty well. The o-line is going to be downright NASTY with those two guards. RT of course remains the question mark. I think Leonard is going to be a very good LB'er for us, and I think Hines is going to bring a hugely important element of versatility for the offense. They are going to be able to do a lot with that kid, plus he's a weapon in the return game.

The weak points remaining IMO are : LB, CB, RT. I think they filled a good amount of needs if over half of these guys pan out.

Curious if any of the UDFA's end up making the roster. I don't know anything about them. Does anyone think any of those guys have a legit shot?
Old 04-29-2018, 01:37 PM

Thanked 1,114 Times in 612 Posts

Okay with Day 1
Uninspired by Day 2
Loved Day 3
The Following User Says Thank You to VeveJones007 For This Useful Post:
Indiana V2 (04-29-2018)
Old 04-29-2018, 01:42 PM
Post whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeveJones007 View Post
Okay with Day 1
Uninspired by Day 2
Loved Day 3
Agreed.
Old 04-29-2018, 03:39 PM

If Bradley Chubb was the preferred target, why trade out of pick 3, only to consider trading back up? I understand that Chubb could’ve gone as early as 2 to NYG. But if they really were that high on him, why not take a chance, stay at 3, and see how the draft plays out?

Jim Irsay: #Colts considered trading up for Bradley Chubb, but couldn't pass on Quenton Nelson.

"He just doesn’t have any weaknesses. It’s almost like you’re seeing a guy who was a computer simulation of what an offensive lineman should be."

https://twitter.com/zkeefer/status/9...210555394?s=21

Irsay says they had internal discussions about trading up (I assume to No. 4 or 5) to take Chubb, but "Nelson was too good to pass up."

https://twitter.com/holderstephen/st...094314497?s=21

“Indianapolis with the No. 6 pick called the Broncos about moving up one spot to take Chubb.”

http://www.9news.com/mobile/article/...r/73-546939481
Old 04-29-2018, 04:31 PM

I can live with the top 3 picks, even if the first two second rounders seemed to be a bit of a reach above their projected spots.

Turay just seems to me to be Grigson's TJ Green. A reach for an athletic good you hope the coaches can turn into a player. That is a move you make in the 5th or 6th round, not the 2nd when you traded down in the first round for that pick. That's a boom or bust pick everyone will remember.

I don't understand remaking the whole DL when it was one of the better units on the team last year.

The success of the RBs and the WRs is going to be largely dependent on how healthy Luck is when he gets back and how good the new offensive system turns out to be, but there is talent there they obtained in the draft. Sounds like one of the RBs, Hines, they view as a return guy.

Ballard obviously wants to rebuild with his own guys and through the draft. Which means the next season is likely to be another long one

Only other thing is I know some comments here and elsewhere are we are going to have to win 40 point games with this defense. I would prefer that to last year and the last few years. At least the games would be exciting again.