ColtFreaks.com - Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum   ColtFreaks.com Home Page

Go Back   ColtFreaks.com - Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum > Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum > Indianapolis Colts Discussion

Old 05-01-2018, 08:35 AM

Thanked 1,114 Times in 612 Posts
Default Ballard Walked Some Media through a Film Session on Draft Picks

https://www.indystar.com/story/sport...aft/567609002/

This would have been really cool to see. I hope they post some of it to Colts.com.

Column also has an interesting note about TJ Green.

Last edited by VeveJones007; 05-01-2018 at 08:44 AM.
Old 05-01-2018, 09:25 AM

As concerning as it may be it does appear Green may be a Ballard type player. He seems to weigh measurables and potential a little higher than production. That can work out great if your coaching staff can develop them. Hopefully Reich and his staff can do it better than Pagano’s did.
Old 05-01-2018, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rm1369 View Post
As concerning as it may be it does appear Green may be a Ballard type player. He seems to weigh measurables and potential a little higher than production. That can work out great if your coaching staff can develop them. Hopefully Reich and his staff can do it better than Pagano’s did.
I have my doubts, but perhaps a simpler scheme will help Green.
Old 05-01-2018, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeveJones007 View Post
I have my doubts, but perhaps a simpler scheme will help Green.
Simpler scheme and competent coaching. I’d expected Ballard to jettison Green pretty quickly, but its sounding like he may try to develop him instead. Maybe he’ll knock off the completely stupid shit he’s done if actually held accountable. That would be a good start.
Old 05-01-2018, 03:31 PM

http://www.colts.com/news/article-1/...0-5285b34d25a6

Here's a detailed write-up, but it doesn't have the accompanying video. A few interesting notes pulled out below:

Quote:
On why he didn’t wait until closer to the draft to trade back from No. 3-overall: “I thought a long time about that, too. I didn’t want to get boxed in. We’re at three — to me, that was the third-best quarterback. So they had to be really driven to get up there and get the third-best quarterback. … And then you had the second pick in the draft, who I kind of had an inkling (the Giants) were going to stick with Eli, so if they weren’t going to take one, maybe they trade out. And maybe they trade out with a guy they just worked with — (Buffalo Bills general manager) Brandon Beane. … There’s no market. Like, if he get to the punch, we have no market now.”

On the Colts’ reaction when the Cleveland Browns took cornerback Denzel Ward — and not Chubb or Nelson — with the fourth pick: “That’s one of the first times that I have ever heard claps in a room. … We were happy. And Ward’s a good player. Ward, I mean, he was the best pure cover guy in the draft. Without question.”

On Leonard:“And you never know. You hope with small school guys they progress. And I’ll show you the game that convinced me; and it was Clemson, (2016) vs. Deshaun Watson. But this kid’s a long, rangy guy. I think he’s made for what (we want to do). Y’all had a guy (like him), David Thornton.”

“This kid is a really talented athlete, and we’ll live through some (growing pains) with him, but he’s got the one trait that you can’t coach: he can really run. Like, I think we got him at the combine at 4.61 (40-yard dash), but last spring he clocked at 4.53. I mean, this kid can roll.”

“We’re going to play him at WILL; so our WILL be covering.”

On Nyhiem Hines: “I thought Morocco (Brown) put it best, because (Hines is) almost a Swiss army knife, where you can use (him) in a bunch of different roles. I was excited because of the explosive plays. I mean, that was the one thing we lacked. You know, we just didn’t have enough explosive players. I mean, I know everybody talks about the wideout position, but you could create, between tight end — Ebron — running back — this little dude — we could create big plays with others … it doesn’t just have to come from T.Y. (Hilton). You can create it in other ways.”

“I always think about putting this speed on our turf, indoors, we’re going to play in good weather. To me, that matters — you build your team around where you’re playing most of your games at.”

Surprised Deon Cain was there in Rd 6: “Pretty surprised. Pretty surprised. I’ll tell you this though: wideouts the most overgraded position in the draft. There’s a million of them. You look at a draft board, and, I mean, every wideout gets a damn grade. … Because they’re all catching balls. To me, there’s two things you need to look at. One, can you find enough press snaps and rolled-up coverage snaps that they can handle getting off? And then, anybody can make the wide-open (play); it’s the contested catches. The tough, competitive contested catches. Can they make those? If they can make those, they’ve got a real shot. I mean, you’re going to look at yards after catch — all those are important things. But to me, the first things are can he get off press, and then can he make those hard, competitive contested catches?

Last edited by VeveJones007; 05-01-2018 at 03:45 PM.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to VeveJones007 For This Useful Post:
Puck (05-01-2018), Racehorse (05-01-2018), sherck (05-01-2018), smitty46953 (05-01-2018), Thorgrim (05-01-2018)