ColtFreaks.com - Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum   ColtFreaks.com Home Page

Go Back   ColtFreaks.com - Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum > Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum > Indianapolis Colts Discussion

Old 10-19-2017, 01:16 PM

Default This is a full on Rebuild Colts fans

I could have included this in one of the other many threads about Chuckles but this is a really good read and didn't want it to get buried......the only quarrel I have with the author's Monday morning quarterbacking of Irsay's decision to retain Chuckles is his failure to acknowledge how late in the process Ballard was brought to the organization. Other than that I think his assessment of the last decade of Colts history is pretty on target, including his views on the Patsys.

https://www.stampedeblue.com/2017/10...-coach?ref=yfp
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to 1965southpaw For This Useful Post:
Pez (10-19-2017), smitty46953 (10-19-2017), YDFL Commish (10-19-2017)
Old 10-19-2017, 02:51 PM

Thanked 1,099 Times in 497 Posts

Is January 21st that late? How many coaches were already hired by then?
Old 10-19-2017, 03:29 PM

Black Monday was January 2, 2017....some of the firings happened even before black monday( ex Fisher). Everything was pretty much done by the middle of January.....except the Colts. On January 21 Jimmy fired Grigson and communicated that he was retaining Chuckles. On January 30 he announced the hiring of Ballard. This may not seem late but in football days this was an eternity. Most of the changes were being worked in back channels prior to black Monday and in the first couple of weeks final interviews, Rooney rules, etc were the focus so that their new leaders could be ready to rock and roll by the first of Feb.

Speculation is that Irsay was working backchannels on 2-3 targets that fit the criteria of coach/gym profile, previous head coach experience, previous Super Bowl experience. When none of that short list came to fruition he changed his strategy. By that point it was too late to get a quality young coach so he picked his GM and now here we are.....

Ballard had to hit the ground so fast that he had to use the work product of Grigsons scout team to adequately prepare for free agency and the draft although I'm sure he snuck a little bit of Chiefs prep work into the campus on 56th street.....
Old 10-19-2017, 03:53 PM

Thanked 1,476 Times in 814 Posts

not to mention the new HC would need to put together a staff by which most good coordinators were probably gone by then
The Following User Says Thank You to rcubed For This Useful Post:
1965southpaw (10-19-2017)
Old 10-19-2017, 08:22 PM

Thanked 1,099 Times in 497 Posts

I guess Irsay shouldn’t have waited so long to make his moves then.
Old 10-19-2017, 09:57 PM
Post whore

Cool

Black Monday can't come soon enough.
1965southpaw (10-20-2017)
Old 10-19-2017, 10:30 PM

Thanked 2,211 Times in 1,191 Posts

Good read.
Old 10-20-2017, 12:04 AM

Thanked 1,114 Times in 612 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by FatDT View Post
Is January 21st that late? How many coaches were already hired by then?
Only one HC vacancy remained and that one was a foregone conclusion (Shanahan). It isn't only about the HC, though. The top assistants get locked in, too. If you wait until Jan 5 this year, Toub (or whoever) can start prepping to fill out their staff.

Also, if it is Toub, then the coordinators become even more important than usual because he isn't bringing an offensive or defensive system that he will install himself.
Old 10-20-2017, 10:24 AM

I really believe that when Ballard was finally hired, he was OK with keeping Pagano for another season so he could evaluate the players and begin in earnest to build a championship team in 2018 and on.

Now, with Luck out for possibly the entire season, I'm glad Pagano is still here. You can't ask players or coaches to tank the season, but with Pagano at the helm, the season will certainly be tanked. Ballard has probably already begun to contact the short list of HCs he has in mind and possibly gone as far as a verbal commitment to his choice. And maybe even conferred on choices for OC, DC and the rest.

I know these are dark times for us Colts fans, but hang in there.

The future looks bright

We'll be tripling up before you know it.
Old 10-20-2017, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by albany ed View Post
I really believe that when Ballard was finally hired, he was OK with keeping Pagano for another season so he could evaluate the players and begin in earnest to build a championship team in 2018 and on.

Now, with Luck out for possibly the entire season, I'm glad Pagano is still here. You can't ask players or coaches to tank the season, but with Pagano at the helm, the season will certainly be tanked. Ballard has probably already begun to contact the short list of HCs he has in mind and possibly gone as far as a verbal commitment to his choice. And maybe even conferred on choices for OC, DC and the rest.

I know these are dark times for us Colts fans, but hang in there.

The future looks bright

We'll be tripling up before you know it.

I agree. I said in another thread you never want to waste a good crisis (can't remember which politician to attribute that to)......I think Ballard saw the opportunity for Chuckles to be the face of this dumpster fire to the fan base while he works quietly behind the scenes to rebuild this organization and I'm ok with that.