ColtFreaks.com - Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum   ColtFreaks.com Home Page

Go Back   ColtFreaks.com - Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum > Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum > Indianapolis Colts Discussion

Old 02-22-2017, 02:02 PM

Thanked 4,361 Times in 2,508 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dam8610 View Post
i guessed bethea. He and hayden are the last two that received second contracts here on defense. Most of that is due to the ineptitude of the polians and ryan grigson. Hopefully ballard reverses that trend.
fify
Old 02-22-2017, 03:45 PM
Post whore

Thanked 1,595 Times in 925 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racehorse View Post
fify
Meh, I think the downhill slide in draft quality started when Bill started trying to hand it over to Chris, which IIRC was right after the Super Bowl win. If you look at it, that seems to be the demarcation point. 1998-2006 drafts were all above average or better in terms of producing talent for the team. 2007-2011 drafts were average at best, worse in most cases.
Old 02-22-2017, 03:55 PM

Thanked 1,099 Times in 497 Posts

The buck still stopped with BP. His son, his judgement, his fault.

I thought Angerer got a small 2nd contract here so I guessed wrong. That's a very long time to go without drafting a worthy defensive player.
Old 02-22-2017, 03:59 PM

Thanked 4,275 Times in 1,745 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by FatDT View Post
The buck still stopped with BP. His son, his judgement, his fault.

I thought Angerer got a small 2nd contract here so I guessed wrong. That's a very long time to go without drafting a worthy defensive player.
Yet lots of colts fans still want offense
Old 02-22-2017, 04:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by omahacolt View Post
Then they must not watch a lot of Colts football recently!
Old 02-22-2017, 04:55 PM
Post whore

Thanked 4,793 Times in 2,672 Posts

Defense, Defense, Defense! The Colts need to quit fucking around and build up the D. If the Colts draft McCaffrey, like one mock draft has us doing, I will explode into a million fucking pieces. I think Griggs may have done that, but I believe, or hope, that Ballard is too smart for that.

I would love to have Melvin Ingram, but he is going to cost a boatload of money.
Old 02-22-2017, 05:08 PM
Post whore

Thanked 4,793 Times in 2,672 Posts

Quote:
Yep, it boggles the mind.
Old 02-22-2017, 05:56 PM
Accidental Administrator

Quote:
Aright, despite your occasional bluster, you know more about football than me. I'm having a hard time getting my head around this....

In September of 2009, we beat the Dolphins, despite only possessing the ball for 14 minutes. That was because we had a good offensive line and a great QB.

Depending on who you ask, we have a top five QB and a bottom half offensive line.

I don't see anyone presenting a convincing argument that the future of the Colts franchise is on defense. We should have fixed the OL 3 years ago, two years ago... and we didn't.

I would draft an OG in the 1st. To me it's a no brainer. So when you guys say that in a condescending way (that means talk down to), that many colts fans still want offense, are you saying that the 16th ranked offensive line (being kind) is what we want for Andrew Luck?

see also: Ezekiel Elliot, Dak Prescott

Last edited by Pez; 02-22-2017 at 05:58 PM. Reason: because I forgot to mention Dallas
Old 02-22-2017, 06:39 PM

Thanked 4,275 Times in 1,745 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pez View Post
Aright, despite your occasional bluster, you know more about football than me. I'm having a hard time getting my head around this....

In September of 2009, we beat the Dolphins, despite only possessing the ball for 14 minutes. That was because we had a good offensive line and a great QB.

Depending on who you ask, we have a top five QB and a bottom half offensive line.

I don't see anyone presenting a convincing argument that the future of the Colts franchise is on defense. We should have fixed the OL 3 years ago, two years ago... and we didn't.

I would draft an OG in the 1st. To me it's a no brainer. So when you guys say that in a condescending way (that means talk down to), that many colts fans still want offense, are you saying that the 16th ranked offensive line (being kind) is what we want for Andrew Luck?

see also: Ezekiel Elliot, Dak Prescott
offensive guards, good ones, can be found all over the nfl draft. my typical opinion is that i never get mad at drafting oline. this year is different.

we have neglected the defense for way too long. we will not win with offense alone. we never did. never once with manning did we win anything with a shit defense. in 06 our defense and running game is what made the super bowl happen

and to win this little argument. i leave you with this. our oline was bad in 09. you can point to 1 game where we had the ball for 14 minutes and still won. how many times since 2000 have we scored over 30 and lost?
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to omahacolt For This Useful Post:
Pez (02-23-2017), Racehorse (02-23-2017)
Old 02-22-2017, 06:47 PM

Thanked 1,647 Times in 790 Posts

Seriously, that list of defensive picks since Bethea is just woeful. That is a long list of failure, and it's no wonder the defense is so bad. It has to get better and that has to start with investing in good draft picks.