ColtFreaks.com - Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum   ColtFreaks.com Home Page

Go Back   ColtFreaks.com - Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum > Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum > Indianapolis Colts Discussion
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Old 03-01-2017, 11:38 AM

@RapSheet
#Chiefs are not expected to franchise tag Dontari Poe. The #Ravens are not expected to tag Brandon Williams. Big DTs hitting the FA market

I'll take both!
The Following User Says Thank You to Coltsalr For This Useful Post:
dwilli57 (03-01-2017)
Old 03-01-2017, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coltsalr View Post
According to Draft Analyst's Tony Pauline, free agent RG Kevin Zeitler is expected to sign a deal "close to $10 million per year, if not slightly over that amount."
Steelers RG David DeCastro and Bears RG Kyle Long both make $10 million per year as the league's two highest-paid right guards. With the inflation of the salary cap and Zeitler already one of the best guards in the game, he could easily top $10 million per year. Pauline hears the Bengals aren't prepared to go that high for Zeitler. Zeitler is arguably the top offensive lineman available.

Yes, that would be a lot. It would be a metric fuckton. However, as I've said before, if the Colts want to go truly crazy in investing in the OL, I'll never complain.

I'd use resources to that degree personally elsewhere, but I couldn't fault them if they decided to over-correct.
Nope. Zeilter is a solid run and pass blocker, but he would command too much money.

Bring in Warford. Currently, the oline is a decent pass blocking unit. We need a run mauler to give it more balance.

Plus, he'd be considerably cheaper.
Old 03-01-2017, 11:51 AM

Quote:
@RapSheet
#Chiefs are not expected to franchise tag Dontari Poe. The #Ravens are not expected to tag Brandon Williams. Big DTs hitting the FA market

I'll take both!
Would love to get one of the two for sure.
Old 03-01-2017, 02:29 PM

Longtime Texans beat writer John McClain believes there's an "80 percent" chance Houston re-signs free agent CB A.J. Bouye.
The Texans won't tag Bouye, but it sounds like they're open to meeting Bouye's lofty demands. Still just 25, Bouye is expected to net at least $12 million annually. The Texans have a ton of money tied up in cornerbacks, including Johnathan Joseph, Kareem Jackson, and former first-rounder Kevin Johnson, but if they re-sign Bouye, aging vet Joseph could become expendable. Bouye looked like a true shutdown cover man in 2016.
Source: Mike Meltser on Twitter Mar 1 - 11:00 AM

Talk about a guy that's not coming here, but that has been talked about.

Bottom line is, with Vontae already on the roster and with Patrick Robinson making a salary that isn't insignificant, too many resources are already being dedicated for the Colts to pay the big ticket, highest paid CB in the NFL, good as he may be.
Old 03-01-2017, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by natagu23 View Post
Nope. Zeilter is a solid run and pass blocker, but he would command too much money.

Bring in Warford. Currently, the oline is a decent pass blocking unit. We need a run mauler to give it more balance.

Plus, he'd be considerably cheaper.
Warford would be preferable, particularly at his price tag. Ronald Leary probably won't command $10M per year either.

Like I said though, if the Colts want to go insane and give Luck an insanely great OL, I'm not gonna complain. If they go big ticket at Guard and then draft Cam Robinson at RT, I'm still not gonna bitch. I won't agree with it, but after seeing Luck get pummeled, that's that.

I know it's not gonna happen, however. Ballard is defense first. Ballard hasn't been with the Colts the past five years, he hasn't experienced seeing his franchise QB get destroyed. He's not emotionally invested in the past.
Old 03-01-2017, 03:13 PM
Post whore

Thanked 1,639 Times in 948 Posts

Quote:
Warford would be preferable, particularly at his price tag. Ronald Leary probably won't command $10M per year either.

Like I said though, if the Colts want to go insane and give Luck an insanely great OL, I'm not gonna complain. If they go big ticket at Guard and then draft Cam Robinson at RT, I'm still not gonna bitch. I won't agree with it, but after seeing Luck get pummeled, that's that.

I know it's not gonna happen, however. Ballard is defense first. Ballard hasn't been with the Colts the past five years, he hasn't experienced seeing his franchise QB get destroyed. He's not emotionally invested in the past.
Any GM who makes personnel decisions based on emotional investment in the past isn't going to be a GM for very long.
Old 03-01-2017, 03:38 PM

Quote:

Cam Robinson is an intriguing prospect. He doesn't have quick feet, but he was pretty solid against Myles Garrett.

I imagine a lot of teams see him as a RT or guard. He could play LT as well if need be, but that wouldn't be ideal.
Old 03-01-2017, 03:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dam8610 View Post
Any GM who makes personnel decisions based on emotional investment in the past isn't going to be a GM for very long.
Grigson making decisions based off his emotional investment instead of his own retarded intuition might've been an improvement.

And sadly, he was a GM for far, far too long.
Old 03-01-2017, 03:57 PM

Ballard was just on Dakich.

He emphasized that he's not just defense first, that he's trenches first. He's all about being strong up front, offensively and defensively. He said that you never want to pass up a future Hall of Famer at a non position of need (mentioned Reggie Wayne), but if it's close, then he's gonna go with the guy that's strong up front (with that attitude, we likely end up with Malcolm Brown/Eddie Goldman).

I'm guessing this means no 1st round RB (probably for the best), but who knows if any of this is a smokescreen and we admittedly have no access to Ballard's board, so we have no idea if Ballard sees Cook/Fournette as being world's better and a future HOFer, I suppose.
Old 03-01-2017, 05:17 PM
Administrator

Thanked 2,853 Times in 1,402 Posts

There are so many holes on this defense that I would rather Ballard upgrade a bunch of positions with "better" guys than blow is wad on one or two superstars

Back to my case for Micah Hyde. I would take the lesser of the contracts between he and Butler. I just hope Pags hasnt filled Ballard FOS saying he can make Butler or Robinson into a shutdown corner. BECAUSE HE CANT!!