ColtFreaks.com - Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum   ColtFreaks.com Home Page

Go Back   ColtFreaks.com - Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum > Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum > Indianapolis Colts Discussion

Old 03-11-2019, 12:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeveJones007 View Post
Ballard won’t take those snaps away from Turay, Lewis, and whatever EDGE they draft early.
I hate that kind of thinking. I don’t think you look past any possible solutions based on “potential”. Especially when pass rush is such a big need. Remember it was just a year ago that Basham was expected to have that 2nd year leap and be part of the solution. Now he’s a Jet. There may be legit reasons not to sign Houston, but making sure Turay gets more snaps shouldn’t be one of them.
Old 03-11-2019, 01:20 AM

Thanked 1,114 Times in 612 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coltsalr View Post
Did Turay or Lewis really show you that much to justify passing on edge rushers in free agency?

Or is this just a Justin Houston thing and not necessarily all Edge free agents? (Honest question)

Also to what Dewey5 said, bringing in an Edge defender from your former team REEKS of something that Grigson would do. In fact, it IS something that Grigson did do when he brought in Trent Cole’s rotting corpse.

That said, Justin Houston is not out of gas like Cole was when he arrived here (he was more effective in 2018 in KC than Cole was in Philly in 2014). That said, Houston COULD absolutely fall flat on his face at any given time and given the scheme difference, I’m not going to kill Ballard if he doesn’t sign him. I will trust that he knows Houston better than I do and knows his fit here better than I would and roll with whatever he decides.
I literally started my statement with “Ballard won’t.”

It doesn’t matter what I think. It’s what Ballard thinks that matters. And just like when he cut Simon last year, he won’t go get an aging vet who might hurt the development of the guys who he is drafting.

Last edited by VeveJones007; 03-11-2019 at 01:23 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to VeveJones007 For This Useful Post:
smitty46953 (03-11-2019)
Old 03-11-2019, 01:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rm1369 View Post
I hate that kind of thinking. I don’t think you look past any possible solutions based on “potential”. Especially when pass rush is such a big need. Remember it was just a year ago that Basham was expected to have that 2nd year leap and be part of the solution. Now he’s a Jet. There may be legit reasons not to sign Houston, but making sure Turay gets more snaps shouldn’t be one of them.
See above.
Old 03-11-2019, 06:09 AM

Default My personal opinion

No.

Oh, you want reasons?.....ok

Is he out of gas? not completely. But he is probably at that red line. When you have a team in desperate need of improving their defense because it is a liability, and they release someone who has been their #1 producer for years...that is a signal. No matter the 15 mil on his contract.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Lawrence Owen For This Useful Post:
Chaka (03-11-2019), FatDT (03-11-2019), smitty46953 (03-11-2019), VeveJones007 (03-11-2019)
Old 03-11-2019, 09:45 AM

Quote:
I literally started my statement with “Ballard won’t.”

It doesn’t matter what I think. It’s what Ballard thinks that matters. And just like when he cut Simon last year, he won’t go get an aging vet who might hurt the development of the guys who he is drafting.
Fair, I missed that part.

Still though, perhaps after a season of seeing that Turay/Lewis weren't quite game-wreckers yet he might be more inclined to bring in a more sure thing?
Old 03-11-2019, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Fair, I missed that part.

Still though, perhaps after a season of seeing that Turay/Lewis weren't quite game-wreckers yet he might be more inclined to bring in a more sure thing?
I think he'll be interested in younger pass rushers like the Smiths or Barrett, but he won't go crazy on price. He wants 8 guys on the line that he can trust, so that's where the crowding comes in:

Sheard
Autry
Lewis
Turay
Hunt

That's 7 and that doesn't even include anyone to line up at nose (Stewart, +1 vet I would imagine) or guys like Ward. I'm just trying to set your expectations. Ballard isn't going to go crazy trying to add an EDGE like Flowers or Houston. He'll look for a good value and seek to hit in the draft.
Old 03-11-2019, 10:01 AM

Quote:
I think he'll be interested in younger pass rushers like the Smiths or Barrett, but he won't go crazy on price. He wants 8 guys on the line that he can trust, so that's where the crowding comes in:

Sheard
Autry
Lewis
Turay
Hunt

That's 7 and that doesn't even include anyone to line up at nose (Stewart, +1 vet I would imagine) or guys like Ward. I'm just trying to set your expectations. Ballard isn't going to go crazy trying to add an EDGE like Flowers or Houston. He'll look for a good value and seek to hit in the draft.
I'm baffled/bemused as to why the Colts aren't getting mentioned on Flowers but at this point I do accept that it's not going to happen (I figure the Colts would've been mentioned by now in the rumblings). I am still holding out hope for Landon Collins though.

I will say though that with guys like Hankins/Simon getting cut that Ballard obviously isn't afraid to make vet cuts on guys that obviously still have more to contribute. Though both of those were scheme fits, I wouldn't be surprised if Sheard is a "surprise" cut this year and some of the clutter/crowding is gotten rid of that way.
Old 03-11-2019, 10:30 AM
Post whore

Thanked 3,582 Times in 2,004 Posts

Quote:
I'm baffled/bemused as to why the Colts aren't getting mentioned on Flowers but at this point I do accept that it's not going to happen (I figure the Colts would've been mentioned by now in the rumblings). I am still holding out hope for Landon Collins though.

I will say though that with guys like Hankins/Simon getting cut that Ballard obviously isn't afraid to make vet cuts on guys that obviously still have more to contribute. Though both of those were scheme fits, I wouldn't be surprised if Sheard is a "surprise" cut this year and some of the clutter/crowding is gotten rid of that way.
Because the NE disciples will want him more and drive up the price. Also, Flowers, while a good and versatile all-around end, is not a pass rusher extraordinaire. We have some ends that can play the run for us, we need someone more reliable as a pass rusher.

I think we go after Collins and Smith. Then we slow down and look for bargains and cuts.
The Following User Says Thank You to Chromeburn For This Useful Post:
VeveJones007 (03-11-2019)
Old 03-11-2019, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chromeburn View Post
Because the NE disciples will want him more and drive up the price. Also, Flowers, while a good and versatile all-around end, is not a pass rusher extraordinaire. We have some ends that can play the run for us, we need someone more reliable as a pass rusher.

I think we go after Collins and Smith. Then we slow down and look for bargains and cuts.
Za’Darius or Preston Smith? Or both?
Old 03-11-2019, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chromeburn View Post

Agreed. Though, I'm not entirely sure Ballard will be comfortable with the price tag on either of those guys.