ColtFreaks.com - Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum   ColtFreaks.com Home Page

Go Back   ColtFreaks.com - Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum > Everything Else > General Topics

Old 03-01-2019, 12:42 PM
Administrator

Thanked 2,852 Times in 1,401 Posts
Default Recipe thread

Ok Freaks... I've been meaning to add this thread for quite a while.

Share your recipes whether on the grill or how ever you prepare it. I am always up for something new to try especially on game day.
Pez (03-08-2019), rcubed (03-01-2019)
Old 03-01-2019, 01:37 PM

Thanked 1,476 Times in 814 Posts

Pulled Pork:
4 lbs bone-in pork shoulder

Night before, rub with:
Tablespoon of
Garlic powder
Onion powder
Cayanne
Smoked paprika
Salt
Pepper
Cumin
1/2 cup brown sugar

Wrap in saran wrap and leave in refrigerator over night.

Cook uncovered in oven at 275 for 8 hours.
Shred with forks, discard large pieces of fat.
If desired mix in BBQ sauce with shredded pork and put back in oven for 20 min.

(Note: cooking time and temp varies based on location, oven etc.)
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to rcubed For This Useful Post:
Puck (03-01-2019), Spike (11-27-2019)
Old 03-01-2019, 01:41 PM
Administrator

Default Reverse Sear Ribeye

Reverse sear is a lot like sous vide. It gives you a perfect inside from top to bottom. I just do in in the oven or on the grill.

I use a ribeye but you can use your favorite cut f steak.

It needs to be a thick cut. The last one I did was 5lbs and 3 inches thick but I wouldn't go less than a 2 in or it will be over cooked in the middle.

Things you'll need.

digital thermometer

iron skillet

preheat oven to 250 degrees

Bring ribeye to room temp. very important

Take a paper towel and dry all the moisture off of the meat.

Do NOT piece meat with a fork or knife. You want the meat to stay sealed.

Season the meat with your favorite rub. I mostly use kosher salt and pepper. Sometimes I add something else. Butt Rub brand seasoning is my favorite. Add more salt than you think you need. aIt helps hold in the juices.

Add squares of butter to top of steak. Add as many as you want.

On a cookie sheet or pan add a rack to keep meat from resting on the pan.

Put steak on rack with thermometer in the center of the steak.

Se thermometer to 105 degrees for medium rare. 110 for medium etc etc.

Cook to temp and remove steak using tongs. Do not use a fork or break the outside layer of the steak.

Allow to rest for about 10-15 minutes

Turn oven to broil.

Add a small amount of olive oil to the skillet and place in broiler.... heat it as hot as you can.

After steak has rested take skillet out and set on stove.

With tongs....Sear steak in skillet on all four sides . usually takes about 1 minute per side.

Remove slice and enjoy.!

IMG_7983.jpg

IMG_8182 copy 2.jpg

IMG_8184 copy.jpg
Pez (03-08-2019), Spike (11-27-2019)
Old 03-01-2019, 01:44 PM

Thanked 1,476 Times in 814 Posts

For quick and easy dip

melt velveta. add can of rotel and some ground chorizo.

(for the stupids: cook the chorizo before adding)
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to rcubed For This Useful Post:
Puck (03-01-2019), Spike (11-27-2019)
Old 03-07-2019, 05:22 PM

Thanked 1,099 Times in 497 Posts

Aaron Franklin has a Youtube series on how he cooks brisket. I have a smoker, but you could probably use an oven and approximate it. It's the best thing I've ever made. Not really a recipe but they'll tell you how to do it.

Here's the channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/BBQwithFranklin/videos
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to FatDT For This Useful Post:
Puck (03-08-2019), rcubed (03-07-2019)
Old 03-08-2019, 04:27 AM
Administrator

Default Stuffed Pork Tenderloin

I learned this from Pit Boys

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t5tOlodQyZ8

I wil just share the video. It is bad ass and it is very inexpensive. We usually cook for large numbers but I would recommend it for sure.

I did a 5lb tenderloin the cost was 12.00 and it turned out fantastic. I would have cooked the pork more but I am glad I listened to them. Very tender and juicy. It was the hit of the gathering. Add a lot of Panko! it made the dish

57265250565__2B51953C-6E95-4B58-8F33-FB970C3199D8.jpg

IMG_8034.jpg

IMG_8035.jpg
Pez (03-08-2019)
Old 03-08-2019, 04:35 AM
Administrator

I want to hear your best wing recipe's. I will post my wife's if she will let me
Old 03-08-2019, 04:37 AM
Administrator

I hear Smitty has an italian dish but for sure he needs to post his and Mrs Smitty's dips... And Pez needs to teach some bread making! Amazing!
Old 03-08-2019, 06:50 AM
Accidental Administrator

This is a fantastic off-season thread, I shall contribute.

"I want to dominate all my opponents, and take their will away to play the game, by each play, and finishing them past the whistle."
Old 03-08-2019, 10:36 AM
Accidental Administrator

Yea, so I didn't really realize how much bread gear you need for this:
- Planetary stand mixer (the kitchen aid mixer). A spiral mixer is better, but if you own a spiral mixer please send me your ciabatta recipe.
- huge pizza stone, the size of an oven rack
- 3 oval bannetons (link below)
- bread lame (it's a razor blade on a stick)
- danish whisk (not required, but makes you feel like the real thing)
- parchment
- plastic wrap or plastic tubs
- I think everything else is pretty common

Ciabatta w/poolish

Makes 3 loaves, aboug 520g each... I will explain some stuff here so that non-bread people understand. I use King Arthur All Purpose flour. They are very particular about the consistency of their protein content.

A poolish is a common variety of a preferment. The idea is that you take a portion of the yeast, flour, salt and water and let that ferment overnight to ripen. Doing this adds significant flavor to the resulting bread you make the next day.

So to make bread for Sunday, you have to start Saturday evening with making the poolish:

272g room temp water, just run it out of the tap until it "feels" like room temp. Yeast dies at about 105 degrees, so dont be too tempted to make it warm.
272g AP Flour - it's important to do this by weight, no sifting required.
0.5g Active Dry yeast

1. Measure out your water in the bowl you are going to leave out overnight (needs to be about half the size of a basketball)
2. Measure and add your yeast, set a timer for 5 mins
3. During the five mins measure your flour and tidy up
4. when the timer goes off, add your flour
5. Mix well (I use a danish whisk, I don't know why they work but they do). scrape the sides with a rubber spat. Consistency wise, this will be a bit runny, probably twice as thick as pancake batter.
6. Cover with plastic and put on a high shelf in your kitchen, go to bed.

Next morning it will have transformed into a weird sort of spongy and runny thing that frankly looks kind of disgusting. It will be bubbly and sticky. It's important not to mess with it too much as there's some weird science with gluten strands and gas buildups that get messed up if you decide to stir it again or whatever. Ciabatta is a bit of a pansy of a dough and will not respond well to rough handling. Again, the weird science of gluten strands etc...

So it's Sunday morning now and you are ready to make the final dough, start by measuring your stuff:

635g AP Flour
391g water (room temp is fine, just guess. If you have a thermometer that can measure 80 degrees, go for it). Measure this directly in the bowl of your stand mixer.
17g Salt (fine salt dissolves better, but don't sweat it if you just have the coarse stuff)
3.7g Active dry yeast
544g of Poolish (all of it)

**Variant - you can make this a cheese bread by adding 127g of shredded parmesan, if you do this, increase the amount of yeast to 4.7g. Salt retards the yeast, and cheese has salt in it.

1. Your water is already in the bowl of your stand mixer, so add the yeast to that, 5 min timer. Use this time to tidy up.
2. after 5 mins, add your poolish, just scrape this out of the bowl with a bowl scraper or rubber spat. Admire it's strange nature.
3. Add flour, salt (cheese if you decided to)

The reason we are adding the poolish over the water is to keep the most of the flour off the bottom of the mixer so it has to travel "through" the poolish and water. Most home mixers (cough, cough, kitchen aid, cough) struggle with mixing a soft bread dough and can leave dry flour at the bottom of the bowl. This is something you still need to watch for.

First Mix
Anyway, use your dough hook and mix on lowest speed for about 4 mins. During this time you should use a rubber spat to scrape the sides down as it's running. Use your head and recognize that this is a mildly dangerous activity.

Once the four mins is complete the dough should be pretty well mixed. but wont come together or clean the sides of the bowl like a standard bread dough would. Take the bowl off your mixer and use your spatula to mix it a could times by had, the only point here is to check for pockets of raw flour left by the mixer. It's usually there on the bottom and you really just have to figure out how to get it onto the top.

Second mix
Put the bowl and hook back on the mixer. Turn the mixer on 3. and mix for 6 mins. During this six minutes tidy up and fill your dough tub or large bowl with very hot water and let sit aside. Check on the mix every now and then and make sure you don't need to scrape the sides.

First Proof
Dump the water from your dough tub or proofing bowl and leave the inside wet. Pull the bowl off the mixer and use a bowl scraper or rubber spat to transfer to the warm, wet bowl. Cover with a lid pr plastic wrap, put on a high shelf and set a timer for an hour.

Folding during first proof
The first proof is 3 hours. however you have to do an 8 way fold each hour. This helps incorporate air into the dough and lengthens the gluten strands. you will do this twice, unless you did the cheese, in which case you will do it 3 times and increase the overall first proof time to 4 hours.

1. When your 1 hour timer goes off, grab the tub and put it next to the sink. run a bit of room temp water so you can keep getting your hand wet.
2. Wetting your hand, reach under the North side of the dough and try to get half way under it, grab gently and fold to the center.
3. wet your hand and repeat on the S, E, W, NE, NW, SE, SW (hey that's 8 ways, cool)
4. Cover, put back on the shelf and set a 1 hour timer.
5. Repeat when the next timer goes off.... set a one hour timer.

If you don't wet your hand each time it will stick like mad you your hands. The only caution when folding it to make sure you don't tear the dough. If you tear the dough, you are breaking the gluten strands we have thus far worked so hard to maintain.

You need some gear here In the for of three equally sized bowls or baskets and three smooth fabric (linen) towels. You cant use the regular terry cloth towels as they will make a mess with the little stubby fibers. These should be about the size of half a football. The right gear is called a banneton, and is a basket with a sort of linen shower cap on the inside:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B06XC2HYBB..._ZrMGCbG74WZ7N

You need three of these. Use your last hour on your timer to prep your bannetons. You need to moderately dust the bottom and side of each banneton with flour. You can use AP flour here, but semolina is more proper (oddly difficult to find in Fort Wayne). The Semolina is coarser and isn't absorbed as much by the watery dough.

Tangent: if you have made it this far, please note that you have made a dough that is 73% hydration, which is stupid wet for a bread dough. Hydration is the ratio of water weight to flour weight. If you are nerdy about bread, you would note that the poolish was 100% hydration, the final dough (less the poolish) was 61% and change, 272+391 (water) / 272+635 (flour) = 73% holy crap, science!

Ok, so while you were playing with your calculator your third 1 hour timer went off, you have your bannetons prepped and it's time to play with some dough.

Shaping
Generously flour your work surface, and invert your dough tub on top of this floury surface. The dough will slowly come out by itself, but if not, help it along with a dough scraper. Moderately flour the top of the dough. Use your bench knife in a bit of scraping motion, pick the dough up off the surface and let it fall back down until it's not stuck to your surface anymore. Flip it over so the floury top becomes the bottom. All this is done with your bench knife. You are doing this to get the dough floury enough that it's not sticky and you can touch it with your hands without sticking (sticking means you have to tear the dough to get it off your hands (gluten strands man).

Gently shape the dough into a rough rectangle and use your bench knife to mark how this rectangle should be divided into thirds. Cut into thirds with your bench knife. If you are nerdy about bread, each third will weigh 520g.

So now you have 3 equal amounts of dough. Earlier you did an 8 way fold on the big mass of dough when it was in the tub. You will do the same thing here, except without wetting your hands. (flour is your friend).

1. Place one lump of dough in the center of the bench. Stretch and fold half of north down to the center, repeat for the over 7 directions. You will feel the dough get firmer with each of these folds. That's the gluten strands getting pissed off and fighting back. this forms a bit of a ball.
2. Fold this ball in half so all the seams are on the inside and shape into a log. press the seams together and gently roll this into a loaf the same shape as your banneton, try to get those seams a bit tidy.
3. Drop the log into you banneton, seam side down. Repeat for the other two.

Final proof / bench rest
Holy hell, you made it this far. you need to figure out a way to cover your bannetons so air doesnt get to them. You can do this loosely with plastic wrap (but this can stick to the dough, so spray it first). I found that it's easiest to invert a plastic bin over top of them. The bin cant be too much larger than the bannetons it's covering or it will have too much air circulation.

Oh, you have a baking stone right? It needs to be the size of one of your oven racks, else you cant cook all three of these at once and the proofing schedule will get fouled while you are cooking on loaf at a time.

Anyway, the final proof is 90 mins. Set a timer for 50 mins. When this timer goes off, prep your oven. Put one rack at the very top of your over (or take it out). The other rack with the stone on it should be 1-2 notches below the middle. Set your over to 460F. Set your timer for 40 mins. Use this time to cut three pieces of parchment just about 2 inches longer and wider that the tops or your bannetons.

Baking
Holy malliard reactions Batman. So the yeast has been chowing down on the starch, releasing CO2 and making some crazy stuff happen that is about to result in some golden brown goodness.

Lay your three pieces of parchment on the counter. Invert each banneton center onto a piece of parchment. Gently lift the banneton off the dough, and you will see the linen shower cap thing invert. Watch for the dough to stick to the liner, if it does, gently use your finger to seperate it, and make note for next time that you need a bit more flour on your bannetons.

Make three quick slashes about 5-6mm deep, diagonally across each loaf. The loaves expand in the oven and the slashes relieve the stress of this oven spring, you will notice that my slashes kind of sucked and I had some side blowout.

The pics below are the cooling loaves that I took over to Pucks for the SB, another, smaller loaf with the same dough that I cut open, and then the weird looking poolish. In the cut open piece the yeast consumes the starch, makes CO2.... this CO2 cant escape the strength of the gluten strands so it leaves a hole.

Anyway, if anyone makes this let me know how it turns out.

Oh, this formula is Jeffrery Hamelman's, from his book "Bread" (really creative there, Jeff... btw, why the heck are all your measurements in ounces?)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20181118_150319.jpg (97.9 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg 20171001_181330.jpg (89.7 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg 20161210_075348.jpg (88.0 KB, 5 views)

"I want to dominate all my opponents, and take their will away to play the game, by each play, and finishing them past the whistle."

Last edited by Pez; 03-08-2019 at 10:48 AM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Pez For This Useful Post:
Puck (03-09-2019), smitty46953 (03-12-2019)