ColtFreaks.com - Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum   ColtFreaks.com Home Page

Go Back   ColtFreaks.com - Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum > Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum > Indianapolis Colts Discussion
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Old 10-25-2017, 07:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by apballin View Post
He's had a good run, he'll get another job
Maybe, but not as a Head Coach, (IMO). Bottom line, HC is too much for him. The shame is that because of his failure at this job, so many people are down on him. Personally, he seems like a very nice guy that we would all think highly of. The problem is that this job is way over his head. He can't handle it, but it's not from a lack of trying. I'm sure that when the axe finally does fall, he'll be relieved. Nothing personal Chuck, we're just fans that want to see our team succeed.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to albany ed For This Useful Post:
Gimmick (10-25-2017), Oldcolt (10-25-2017)
Old 10-25-2017, 07:28 AM

Thanked 1,099 Times in 497 Posts

Rod Marinelli coached the 0-16 Lions a few years ago. He'll probably never be a HC again but he's known as a pretty solid DC in Dallas now. Pagano could probably have a similar career if he wanted.

Edit: shit that winless season was 9 years ago.
Old 10-25-2017, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FatDT View Post
Rod Marinelli coached the 0-16 Lions a few years ago. He'll probably never be a HC again but he's known as a pretty solid DC in Dallas now. Pagano could probably have a similar career if he wanted.

Edit: shit that winless season was 9 years ago.
It’s gonna be a long time before the Colts are relavent again.
Old 10-25-2017, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoosierinFL View Post
Slightly unrelated but i just saw on reddit rumors out of Arizona that Arians plans to resign at the end of the year. I can only take that to mean he is coming back.
I saw that too, and if Grigson were still here, I might consider him a lock for Colts HC next year. But I expect Ballard is going to want someone new to the organization.
Old 10-25-2017, 10:55 AM

Thanked 1,099 Times in 497 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by njcoltfan View Post
It’s gonna be a long time before the Colts are relavent again.
With the right coaching staff I don't agree. Luck healthy, with an improved line, coherent offensive strategy, multiple high draft picks that improve depth at worst, and a defense that puts players in position to succeed, means we are playoff contenders next year.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to FatDT For This Useful Post:
Butter (10-25-2017), Oldcolt (10-25-2017)
Old 10-25-2017, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FatDT View Post
With the right coaching staff I don't agree. Luck healthy, with an improved line, coherent offensive strategy, multiple high draft picks that improve depth at worst, and a defense that puts players in position to succeed, means we are playoff contenders next year.
I don't know, man. What you're describing sounds like the installation of a drastically new system and culture. That takes time and effort. I want you to be right but at the moment I'm just not feeling the optimism.

A coherent offensive strategy and a defense that puts players in position to succeed both represent significant systematic changes in every facet of game preparation and execution. I just don't see getting to that from where we are in a single offseason.
The Following User Says Thank You to southside asshole For This Useful Post:
Mr. Session (10-25-2017)
Old 10-25-2017, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southside asshole View Post
I don't know, man. What you're describing sounds like the installation of a drastically new system and culture. That takes time and effort. I want you to be right but at the moment I'm just not feeling the optimism.

A coherent offensive strategy and a defense that puts players in position to succeed both represent significant systematic changes in every facet of game preparation and execution. I just don't see getting to that from where we are in a single offseason.
Even the defense has talent and I think with a good coach they can be average in a year.

The DL is solid. The secondary has some good players, just not the ones they always choose to play.

The weakness on this team on D is linebackers and coaching.

The offense, you put Luck out there next season and its back to a top offense. Also give Mack another year of experience and use him correctly, adds a completely different element to the offense the team has not had in years.

Still need to upgrade OL of course.

I am not saying this team will win a SB next year. but the team has potential. and the afc pretty mediocre overall
Old 10-25-2017, 11:55 AM

Thanked 1,477 Times in 815 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by southside asshole View Post

depends on your definition of a long time. if ballard is solid in talent acquisition and installs a good coaching staff, we could be good in a couple years.

as for playoff contenders, that could easily come next year with a healthy luck. all they have to do is win the south, and the rest of the south still stinks for the most part.
Old 10-25-2017, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcubed View Post
depends on your definition of a long time. if ballard is solid in talent acquisition and installs a good coaching staff, we could be good in a couple years.

as for playoff contenders, that could easily come next year with a healthy luck. all they have to do is win the south, and the rest of the south still stinks for the most part.
Alright. Solid points.

And yeah, don't lump me in with those saying it'll be a decade of suck before we are a competitive team. I was just responding to FatDT about his speculation that we could be contenders next year.

I'll agree with you both that it's possible we could be, but it's too early for me to even consider whether it's plausible.
Old 10-25-2017, 01:21 PM

Thanked 1,665 Times in 796 Posts

All you gotta do is look at the Rams if you want reason for optimism. I don't think anyone thought they had the talent to compete this year, even with the coaching changes. I think we have some good talent here and it will improve in 2018 - I still like Ballard's draft and think he'll have another good one.
We just need the right coaches and scheme to use the talent properly - and really a HUGE part of that right now is the offensive scheme. The blocking scheme, the route design, the timing, it's all wrong for the personnel we have. Even the runs they call for Mack are wrong half the time.