ColtFreaks.com - Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum   ColtFreaks.com Home Page

Go Back   ColtFreaks.com - Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum > Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum > Indianapolis Colts Discussion
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Old 12-01-2023, 04:11 PM

Thanked 1,664 Times in 795 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by njcoltfan View Post
Mannings comeback over the Buc's, to me at least, was much more historic than any of Reichs.
The word "historic" is probably always going in favor of the '92 Bills and '16 Patriots due to the playoffs/Super Bowl. We've had several games in a vacuum that you could argue were more improbable...

'03 game against TB is possibly the most improbable comeback ever. 21 points in less than 4 minutes against the SB champs who won specifically because of that defense... insane.

Another one that doesn't get talked about as much was '08 vs. HOU, down 27-10 with like 4:05 left. Our D-line destroyed Sage Rosenfels twice and the O capitalized.

'09 game vs. NE, down 17 at one point... NE just added a FG to make their lead 13 with just over 4 minutes left. The 4th-and-2 game.

The '13 playoffs vs. KC, still IND's biggest comeback, still 2nd biggest in playoff history.

And while it wasn't a huge comeback... the '09 game against MIA is one of the most improbable wins ever. 27 points with less than 14:53 TOP. Worth sprinkling in here.
Old 12-01-2023, 05:43 PM

Thanked 2,430 Times in 1,092 Posts

Disagree C & O. People don’t remember single games unless they saw it. Even if it had huge historical importance, people hardly remember Alan Ameche/Unitas and the greatest game ever played (it still is the greatest game considering that it was what sold america on TV and football). You are an historian so you will remember those two games. No casual fan, like most people are, will.
Old 12-01-2023, 06:04 PM
Historian

Thanked 3,272 Times in 2,019 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by YDFL Commish View Post

The Panthers' roster isn't that bad ...... why can't you admit that Reich is a bad coach ???

o

Reich is a bad coach ........ and the Panthers' roster is horrible. Those 2 concepts are not mutually exclusive of one another.

o

Bert Jones, Johnny Unitas, Earl Morrall ))))))))).lll) Jim Harbaugh, Peyton Manning, Andrew Luck

Last edited by Colts And Orioles; 12-01-2023 at 11:06 PM.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Colts And Orioles For This Useful Post:
Dewey 5 (12-02-2023), Racehorse (12-01-2023), YDFL Commish (12-02-2023)
Old 12-02-2023, 02:13 PM
Historian

o

On many occasions, I have done major turnarounds in my opinion(s) on a player, a coach, and a team ...... in January of 2013, I asserted that ) Case Keenum ) would have a longer and more distinguished career than ) Andrew Luck. )

But I am not alone in my reversals of my feelings ...... these are some posts following the 2018 season, a season in which Frank Reich was named the AFC Coach of the Year.

http://www.coltfreaks.com/forum/showthread.php?t=65773

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorgrim View Post

Yeah, we definitely ended up with the best coach. Next year should be “epic”, as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spike View Post

Hell of a coach. Damned glad that McDouch decided to stay in NE. The future looks extremely bright with Reich and Ballard.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChoppedWood View Post

I said it even before we ended up with him ...... this was the guy that I wanted, and hot damn does he represent everything RIGHT about this thing. That's a coach right there. And fuck yes, coaching matters !!!

o

Bert Jones, Johnny Unitas, Earl Morrall ))))))))).lll) Jim Harbaugh, Peyton Manning, Andrew Luck
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Colts And Orioles For This Useful Post:
ChaosTheory (12-02-2023), Oldcolt (12-02-2023)
Old 12-02-2023, 06:30 PM

Thanked 1,994 Times in 1,136 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colts And Orioles View Post
o

On many occasions, I have done major turnarounds in my opinion(s) on a player, a coach, and a team ...... in January of 2013, I asserted that ) Case Keenum ) would have a longer and more distinguished career than ) Andrew Luck. )

But I am not alone in my reversals of my feelings ...... these are some posts following the 2018 season, a season in which Frank Reich was named the AFC Coach of the Year.

http://www.coltfreaks.com/forum/showthread.php?t=65773

o
Have said without hesitation that I was DELIGHTED when Mcturd bailed and they went with Frank. And for a while there was promise. Something went wrong and when it did, wow the rotting was rapid and pervasive.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ChoppedWood For This Useful Post:
Oldcolt (12-02-2023), Racehorse (12-02-2023), Spike (12-02-2023)
Old 12-02-2023, 07:44 PM

Thanked 2,430 Times in 1,092 Posts

Coaching is weird. Frank started out great, I thought we had a long term answer, just like I do know. While it is tough to do it for a year, it is much harder to repeat your success year after year. It takes players who not only are good but buy into what you are trying to do. For whatever reason, Frank couldn’t pull that off. He is set for life monetarily so he did it well enough to get that. Man has other things in his life (being a minister and all), maybe that is the issue, having options. Steichen seems to be all football, if it doesn’t work out for him he looks hosed.

So I am with you C&O, my opinions change all the time. It is good to remember that lest I get too cocky.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Oldcolt For This Useful Post:
ChoppedWood (12-02-2023), CletusPyle (12-02-2023), Racehorse (12-02-2023), Spike (12-03-2023)
Old 12-02-2023, 10:38 PM
Historian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldcolt View Post

Coaching is weird. Frank started out great, I thought we had a long term answer, just like I do know. While it is tough to do it for a year, it is much harder to repeat your success year after year. It takes players who not only are good but buy into what you are trying to do. For whatever reason, Frank couldn’t pull that off. He is set for life monetarily so he did it well enough to get that. Man has other things in his life (being a minister and all), maybe that is the issue, having options. Steichen seems to be all football, if it doesn’t work out for him he looks hosed.

So I am with you C&O, my opinions change all the time. It is good to remember, lest I get too cocky.

o

The Ghosts of Football Past.

o

Old 12-02-2023, 11:54 PM

Thanked 1,664 Times in 795 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colts And Orioles View Post
Hey, we're probably a dropped MAC pass away from "too much analytics."

I've had the inkling for a while... and I'm surely getting ahead of myself by mentioning at this point in the season... but I was thinking this season could have a similar (not same) vibe to '21.

Bit of a liability at QB, but sneaky good defense and OL/ run game that made for a scrappy, overlooked team... took a while to settle in after a rough early season, got on a roll, and became everyone's favorite dark horse. It was fun while it happened. Got ugly after.

Again, it's too early, but it feels like we're a scrappy team that'll be in the discussion til the end, which was not the feel a few weeks ago. We lack the opportunity for statement wins like BUF, NE, ARZ that '21 had.

But on the flip side, that means an easier schedule to punch your ticket. Then go '95 mode and upset some teams' Januaries. Like I said, too early... but fun to think about.
Old 12-02-2023, 11:54 PM
Historian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldcolt View Post

It is striking that this is almost the exact same cast of characters manning the offense as last year. They look like a professional team this year, not so much last year. Nobody is quitting on the team. It is a nice change.

o

The 2022 Colts were 3-5-1 under Reich, and then 1-7 under Saturday ...... it was the first time since 2011 that the season couldn't end soon enough.

o

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Colts And Orioles For This Useful Post:
Oldcolt (12-03-2023), Racehorse (12-03-2023)
Old 12-03-2023, 01:51 PM
Post whore

Thanked 3,685 Times in 2,060 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMugwump View Post
Depends on where you live.

In Indy, he'll be remembered as a failed coach.

In Carolina, he'll be remembered both as the franchise's first ever starting QB, and as a failed coach.

In Buffalo and Maryland, he'll be remembered almost solely as the author of magical comebacks.

In the rest of the country, it's likely half and half.
He’ll be remembered longest in Philly for helping bring their first superbowl, developing a great gameplan that beat the top dynasty of the time and Philly special or whatever it’s called.

I think he’s an ok coach, he got a bit of a raw deal. Different QB every year. If he had Luck the entire time I think the system would have been good, better than the Pagano era. Now it seems he wanted Stroud. Which makes sense to me because at Strouds pro day Reich was talking like they were going to take him. Then after that the tone changed, makes sense now that the owner made the decision. Owner has been labeled a “fan” and that’s a bad combo in an owner who is new to football. Irsay is a fan, but he grew up around the team and was its GM at one point. He was a bad GM, but he can appreciate what the job requires.

Last edited by Chromeburn; 12-03-2023 at 03:26 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Chromeburn For This Useful Post:
Oldcolt (12-03-2023)