ColtFreaks.com - Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum   ColtFreaks.com Home Page

Go Back   ColtFreaks.com - Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum > Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum > Indianapolis Colts Discussion

Old 02-10-2021, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaka View Post
Yeah, I hear you. Ultimately you have to play the cards you're dealt though. In this sense, Ballard is a victim of his own success, since he's otherwise built a quality roster. So even without a high-end QB I suspect we're going to perform well enough to always be drafting at the back end of the first round. Given this fact, he has three choices: (1) go the free agent/trade route, (2) take a flyer on a late first round QB and wait for him to develop, or (3) mortgage the future to trade up for a high first round QB pick.

The free agent/trade route seems the most logical to me in light of our current roster. We have the cap room to take on a large contract and someone like Wentz seems like a natural fit assuming Reich is on board. We'd have him locked up for four years, but we'd only be committed for two. In the meantime, the Colts can continue to work with Eason, perhaps elevating him to a backup, or if he's not working out take another mid-round lottery pick to develop. I just don't see the Colts going the draft route unless its in conjunction with the separate signing/acquiring of a quality veteran QB.
I absolutely agree with the description of “victim of his own success.” That’s basically the thought behind my small initial comment to this thread. It is not unusual for teams to get here and then falter. It becomes increasingly more difficult to find the guy after you are drafting late and then when guys start getting paid there is also less financial maneuverability. Personally I’d rather be in Jacksonville’s situation than the Colts long term. A franchise guy covers up a lot of sins. And I’d really love to see Ballard building around a franchise QB. I’m just concerned that won’t happen because the things that make Ballard successful are going to make it even tougher on him to acquire that guy, IMO. But we will see.
Old 02-10-2021, 03:32 PM

Thanked 1,476 Times in 814 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rm1369 View Post
The fuck I did.
Ok

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 02-10-2021, 03:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chromeburn View Post
Ballard has done a good job overall. The talent has improved on the team with an emphasis on the lines. But we have yet to find a pass rusher and a CB. That’s on him. He is spot gapping with vets and it’s working. But if his primary building method is the draft, gotta hit on those picks or pony up and sign a free agent fix. Pass rush has been an issue on this team for awhile and corner play has been spotty. WR needs to improve, hopefully the young guys develop.

LT is new, we knew Castonzo was going to retire soon. But drafting a tackle high is a luxury for us with so many needs. No team has good oline depth as we saw what happened to the last two teams the Bucs faced.

QB is not his fault initially. But this is the second whole offseason, and upcoming third season of looking for a QB. He will have to solve the question somehow. We also had the 13 pick last year. Everybody loves Buckner, but was it ever considered to use that pick to address QB?

Right now I see this team as good, but not good enough. Really two years ago we were a few plays away from having a better record, but this year we made those few influential plays and made the playoffs. A couple Houston mistakes and we make it in this year.

If you want to call Ballard the best or one of the best in the league, then he needs to be able to face up to big boy criticism. Can’t just praise every win and excuse every miss. Unless you want to be a homer. This is what he is paid for.

Well stated

Old 02-10-2021, 03:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcubed View Post
Ok

Ok, Rereading the whole thread I can see how it may appear that way. That wasn’t my intent. I apologize - I should have clarified. The immediate “oh my god god, he’s attacking Ballard” reaction some do on hear drives me nuts. Guys are either great or shit - no room for in between.

Regardless, no I’m in no way suggesting Ballard has had 5 years to fix the QB situation. I’m well aware Lucks retirement screwed Ballard completely. But for all Ballard’s good, he’s not a god and not above questioning. For as good as he’s done this team is still missing some extremely important pieces and I don’t think what he has built in 4-5 years means he is above question or criticism. That’s probably a better way to say what I was getting at.
Old 02-10-2021, 04:23 PM

Thanked 2,430 Times in 1,092 Posts

It is obvious that we are still missing important pieces and I agree Ballard has ultimate responsibility. I would be irritated with him if I could figure out what moves he missed this last year. After Luck retired like he did, when he did in relation to the start of the season, Jacoby was really the only option. Last year we could have kept our draft pick and used it to move up and get one of the QB's that were available. I doubt that any of us want to trade Buckner for any of those guys, not just yet anyway. Which brings us to now. I am not a rah rah guy for Ballard but I don't see how he could have realistically done better. Now this off season may be a different story. If Stafford leads the Rams to the promised land and we let him slip away then Ballard better not screw up with who is left, and hope he didn't let the best QB slip away. Personally I see nothing to criticize him for as far as our QB situation is concerned. He has put himself in a situation, however, where I think he is at the end of his rope. He needs to figure this our this year, this off season.
The Following User Says Thank You to Oldcolt For This Useful Post:
rcubed (02-10-2021)
Old 02-10-2021, 04:37 PM

Quote:
Ok, Rereading the whole thread I can see how it may appear that way. That wasn’t my intent. I apologize

No need to apologize, this is just a fan site. I think sometimes people just have unrealistic expectations on how easy it is to acquire a franchise quarterback

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to rcubed For This Useful Post:
Chromeburn (02-10-2021), Racehorse (02-10-2021)
Old 02-10-2021, 07:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcubed View Post
No need to apologize, this is just a fan site. I think sometimes people just have unrealistic expectations on how easy it is to acquire a franchise quarterback

The reason I’m concerned is because of how difficult I believe it is. And how little I believe the rest matters without one.
Old 02-10-2021, 07:39 PM

Thanked 4,361 Times in 2,508 Posts

Quote:
Who the fuck said it was?
Teams go decades without finding their franchise QB. Lets hope he can do it quicker than that. [/QUOTE]

No fucking shit? What’s the long term outlook for those teams? Sounds like that is exactly what the fuck I am saying. I’m not criticizing him for not having found one, I’m questioning how much all the other great shit he does without one will matter. That’s fucking it. But because I’m not bowing down and sucking his dick you guys get your panties all fucking twisted. I’ve repeatedly said I like Ballard. Repeatedly said I don’t envy his position. But yes I must be dense because I don’t believe he values a QB to the same degree I do. Which is fine. We’ll see how it plays out.

I fucking said last year what I think he should have done if he didn’t think one of the QBs was worth going after - push draft capital into the future to help move up for a QB this year. They went a different route. I didn’t say it was stupid. I’m not throwing a fucking fit. I would have went a different way. Apparently that’s too much criticism. Jesus fucking Christ.[/QUOTE]

Kind of looks that way with this post.
Old 02-10-2021, 07:43 PM

Thanked 4,361 Times in 2,508 Posts

Quote:
Again I would have bit the bullet and traded up last year if I liked one of the guys (yes paying the price) or I would have moved draft capital into this year to go get my guy. Or I would do that this year for next year. It isn’t about who I think it should be, it’s about who THEY think it should be. If their answer is “the best bet we can get cheaply” then I disagree with the prioritization of the position. It’s not about not having solved it. It’s that so far it appears (based on theirs words and known actions) that their method for solving it isn’t aggressive enough in my view. I believe a franchise QB is the single most important part of winning SBs in the NFL. If you disagree fine. If you think Wentz or Darnold or Dalton are the answer fine. But simply thinking whatever Ballard did was the only bestest option is fucking stupid.

And I’ll repeat for like the 4th fucking time - I’m not calling for Ballard to be fired. I’m not complaining he hasn’t solved the situation in a year. I’ve repeatedly said I like him. I simply would prefer to roll the dice on whoever they think the guy is - not just take what doesn’t cost much.
With our first pick already traded. trading the second would have left us with very little draft capital, and Taylor would not be a Colt.
Old 02-10-2021, 08:12 PM

Quote:
The reason I’m concerned is because of how difficult I believe it is. And how little I believe the rest matters without one.

I think the rest totally matters. Alternate theory is to use your resources to build a solid foundation as you are looking for your QB. As was mentioned in another post, the last two teams the bucs beat had line issues and their QBs were essentially a non factor. Both those QBs are considered two of the best in the league currently.

I liked the thought of stafford but not at the price he went for. Not excited about wentz or darnold unless we could get them on the cheap. If ballard doesnt use our #1 or move up for who he thinks will be a longterm QB solution this year then draft a LT or DE difference maker and roll with eason or a journeyman for a year. I dont want to see a piecemeal approach to the QB either but dumping a ton of resources into the wrong guy is not a good solution.